Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai F/A uniform

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Thai F/A uniform

So i had my first flight on Thai Airways today, TPE-ICN in economy. Cabin Crew was very professional and very flexible. I was originally 35c, and was allowed to move to 35d, as it was empty, and then to 31c (infinite legroom) in a matter of minutes, and the FA's encouraged me to do so. They also brought me a deck of cards (^^^ a favorite part of flying). The food was also really good. Never had airplane beef that wasn't really hard to eat.

Anyways i noticed that the cabin crew changed from their inflight dress (what looked like more traditional thai clothing for the women, red jackets for the men) into more formal attire (purple skirts/jackets for the women, black jackets for the men).

I also was told on the flight that photos are not allowed to be taken while flying over Korea. Could this be, somehow, related to why the FA's changed? I've never flown Thai before, and this is my first time into ICN (which, by the way, is an amazing airport). I get the idea that this is not the case, as i am waiting for my SQ flight, and the FA's are all wearing their always eyecatching sarong kebayas.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Anyways i noticed that the cabin crew changed from their inflight dress (what looked like more traditional thai clothing for the women, red jackets for the men) into more formal attire (purple skirts/jackets for the women, black jackets for the men).
This is normal for THAI, and was introduced 3-4 years ago. You get welcomed in a more traditional (less-work friendly) dress. Once, up and away, crew change into more practical clothing.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:35 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
The F/A changes from a traditional Thai dress to a normal (purple dress) uniform before landing on the last flight of their duty day. For a long haul, this usually means about 1-2 hours before landing. On a quick-turn flight, like BKK-BLR, the crew will remain in the Thai dress from before take off until just before landing back in BKK.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:30 am

If they had fewer clothes, could that not help with fuel economy?

I don't mean they should wear bikinis, but just one change of clothes.

And I think if the boys jackets actually fitted, that would cut back on about 50% of the (largely nylon) material used.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat National Executive Amtrak Select Plus
I so miss the JFK-BKK long haul. I thinly that had three uniform changes. Traditional, to a jumper, to a formal uniform.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Personally I think they look wonderful, love how they greet everyone dress up and then move to a more practicable serving outfit. something different to a apron which our domestic lot do regards bkkrop
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
On Braniff, in the 1960's, female flight attendants wore dressy suits when flying over the US. On flights to South America they were required to change into miniskirts when they reached Central America. I wonder if the uniform included go go boots??
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: ROP
I think ANA changes as well.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Personally I think they look wonderful, love how they greet everyone dress up and then move to a more practicable serving outfit. something different to a apron which our domestic lot do regards bkkrop
BKKROP - I agree, I think they look fabulous in their traditional 'welcome' dress and then change into their inflight uniform... Which is also lovely...

A touch of Thailand, even as you leave the country... Or indeed begin your journey there! :-:

Cheers, AG.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by pueywei
I think ANA changes as well.
Not really-all they do is remove their jackets and scarves and put on an apron
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by tlongdon
If they had fewer clothes, could that not help with fuel economy?

I don't mean they should wear bikinis, but just one change of clothes.

And I think if the boys jackets actually fitted, that would cut back on about 50% of the (largely nylon) material used.
I personally think that it's classy for them change to the traditional Thai dress while on-board and change it back to a business-like dress when off the plane. It makes to it more unique and exclusive for Thai passengers. The Thai silk dress is not to be worn wherever they want anyway. It is taylored to each individual. Imagine wearing them on a shuttle bus or at their cafeteria. Probably not a very good scene if it got dirty.

On a domestic flight or flight shorter than 1:45 hour, they are not to wear the traditional dress. For a quick turnaround flight, they can stay in the traditional dress for the flight back and change it back to the business-like uniform when they leave the plane. If you notice closely, female flight attendant uniform on the right side of the aircraft is a little bit different from that of the left side. Purser and above as well as non-Thai flight attendants do not wear the traditional Thai dress, by the way.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I think this is so interesting...logistically it must be hard though. Do they have to change clothes in the cramped lav?
Old May 20, 2010, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I think this is so interesting...logistically it must be hard though. Do they have to change clothes in the cramped lav?
The girls use the crew rest areas to change. On the 747 one is on the upper deck. The door is next to the stairs. In the very back of the main deck there is door across from the lavs. Behind is a fly of stairs down. I have no idea about the other planes.

And the boys and their roomy jackets… When you go in a regular shop like Carrefour or BigC you hardly find a shirt size S. The latest fashion is wearing very tight pants and they are supposed to end 2-3 cm above the floor. But what you see is they are far longer because the guys are so small. Even when they sit the seam touches the floor. I am watching this pretty closely because I am 1.90 cm tall, but sometimes I find pants from the shell that fit.

I think this is a physiological thing. It is hard to sell a Thai "man" clothes size S. It took me months to convince a Thai friend that he is not size M but S. Wearing M made him even look more petite.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Sorry to resurrect this old thread - I could not find the answer elsewhere, and thought would post it here.

Just curious...

How many "ranks" does TG have for its FAs? (I know SQ and CX have four, whereas other airlines only have two). How are these ranks reflected in the styles or colors of their uniform?

Thanks for any info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.