Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket change due to death in family

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Ticket change due to death in family

We were to travel from BKK to DEL when we got the news of my grandfather passing away. Went to the thai airways city office and got the ticket rerouted for the same day to CCU. They charged us 14k thb for fare difference and routing change. Any policy that thai has in case of emergency travel change due to death in family.

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
We were to travel from BKK to DEL when we got the news of my grandfather passing away. Went to the thai airways city office and got the ticket rerouted for the same day to CCU. They charged us 14k thb for fare difference and routing change. Any policy that thai has in case of emergency travel change due to death in family.
I'd have thought it's called "claim on your travel insurance"
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Most tickets have clauses to waive cancellation penalty for death of immediate family members. Whether a grandfather qualifies as one is debatable, and, you changed the ticket instead of canceling. Or, did you cancel and use the credit for a last minute ticket to CCU?
look at your eticket details, and also engage your travel insurance, if you had any.
sorry for your loss
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I learned that death of immediate Family members includes parents, spouse and children; however not grand parents, uncles, aunts, nephews and nieces
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry for your loss, but do you expect TG to reroute you for free? What if you needed to be in Mumbai or Kathmandu? - would you consider it reasonable that TG should take you to whereever your grandfather is? I could understand if you requested to cancel and get a refund, but asking TG to reroute you doesn't make sense.

You should discuss this with your travel insurance
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
No where in the question have I implied that I expected Thai to do changes for free. I had not cancelled my ticket just rerouted the same - leading to two component of the fees - rerouting change and difference of fare. While I completely understand that the airline was right to charge the same. It was a simple question as to whether anyone here has faced a similar situation - approached Thai gotten a revert positive or negative.

Travel insurance is a separate issue my question was just to gain knowledge of the airline policy. The original post was not a rant against the airline - sorry if it came off as one.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
No where in the question have I implied that I expected Thai to do changes for free. I had not cancelled my ticket just rerouted the same - leading to two component of the fees - rerouting change and difference of fare. While I completely understand that the airline was right to charge the same. It was a simple question as to whether anyone here has faced a similar situation - approached Thai gotten a revert positive or negative.

Travel insurance is a separate issue my question was just to gain knowledge of the airline policy. The original post was not a rant against the airline - sorry if it came off as one.
sorry for your situation.
your original question though, was about Thai Airlines Policy, so expect the answers to be about that!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
1) travel insurance
2) refer to fare rules concerning "in case of death"...
3) in case of death of passenger (himself) TG usually will waive the penalty fee for a ticket refund (only), but not for any other charges related to a new higher fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.