Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know amount of ROP Gold and Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / CX DM

Does anyone know total amount of ROP Gold and Platinum, and estimate in one flight. Thanks
Old May 19, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
the expert "Thaikwai" recently provided the astonished community recently the figure of total 3 million Gold members and around 6000 Platinum members

well and on ONE flight in average! I see on nearly each flight some passengers with gold tags. so I would probably estimate that on each flight are
10-40 Gold members
0-3 Platinum members
Old May 21, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
the expert "Thaikwai" recently provided the astonished community recently the figure of total 3 million Gold members and around 6000 Platinum members

well and on ONE flight in average! I see on nearly each flight some passengers with gold tags. so I would probably estimate that on each flight are
10-40 Gold members
0-3 Platinum members
I'm pretty frequent on TG464/465 to/from Melbourne, usually in economy. One clue is the list one of the FAs brings to ask for meal preferences: it's usually 1 or 2 passengers, sometimes 3 or 4....never seen it more. That doesn't account for Gold members in business.
I'm guessing that a significant proportion of the suggested 3,000,000 would come from credit card status rather than wholly flying (?).
If there are 3 million members then it's little wonder that Thai treats us like crap....they couldn't extend really meaningful benefits to that number ( or a lesser number of regulars).
Old May 21, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
I'm pretty frequent on TG464/465 to/from Melbourne, usually in economy. One clue is the list one of the FAs brings to ask for meal preferences: it's usually 1 or 2 passengers, sometimes 3 or 4....never seen it more. That doesn't account for Gold members in business.
I'm guessing that a significant proportion of the suggested 3,000,000 would come from credit card status rather than wholly flying (?).
If there are 3 million members then it's little wonder that Thai treats us like crap....they couldn't extend really meaningful benefits to that number ( or a lesser number of regulars).
interesting toughts! the 3 million is not an estimation by me, as i am also quite surprised about this high number number!
let's see whether the expert(s) have something to say...
Old May 21, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
interesting toughts! the 3 million is not an estimation by me, as i am also quite surprised about this high number number!
let's see whether the expert(s) have something to say...
I think 3 million gold is too high and unrealistic.

If you think about how "aeroplan" has 5 million member or so in total...for TG to have 3 million ROP*G is just crazy. (I use aeroplan as an example because they are restructuring their program.)

If you compare to BAEC, again 3m gold is not in the right ballpark. I can believe 3m active ROP members.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kinchai

If you think about how "aeroplan" has 5 million member or so in total...for TG to have 3 million ROP*G is just crazy. (I use aeroplan as an example because they are restructuring their program.)

If you compare to BAEC, again 3m gold is not in the right ballpark. I can believe 3m active ROP members.
why did you not speak up when our fellow Thaikwai provided this figure. it's not mine.
he had this from the Marketing Department of TG.
however I think that my figure of 10 up Gold members per flight could be quite realistic...
Old May 21, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: TG Plat
6,000 Platinum! I'd like to know the source for that. If they all fly 5 times a year each BKK to ? (a very realistic minimum to maintain Platinum) and spent 2 hours in the F lounge there would be an average 9 of them (with guest?) in the F lounge at any one time. 18+ at peak times e.g. 10pm? I don't think so, I reckon the figure is more likely to be less than 600.

I have been told how many UK based Platinum there are, I can't recall the number but it was less than 30. That would not equate at all to 6,000 total.

Getting back to the thread question, as per paolo64, I used to see no more than 5 Gold on TG917 in economy so maybe 10 total and 0-1 Platinum.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:24 pm

with 5 flights a year you can't maintain Platinum but your maths seem to make sense
also do not believe that there are 6k Platinum members...
Old May 22, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
From TTR Weekly…

BANGKOK, 30 July 2010 ― Thai Airways International’s royalty programme, Royal Orchid Plus, is being revamped with a new Platinum tier added on top of the current Gold category.

All the status cards in ROP will be renamed and the new look and features will be unveiled 3 September at Pullman Bangkok King Power Hotel. The changes were announced during the 17th Anniversary celebrations for Royal Orchid Plus held, 29 July.
THAI director loyalty marketing department, Aran Apichari, said said member cards will be renamed Basic Plus, Gold Plus and Platinum Plus.

As for the new top tier, ROP members entitled to gain that status are Gold members who have flown at least 100,000 miles a year and 80% of their travel must be in first or business class.

“From the current gold members, we have 3,500 members who can switch to platinum status. We will review the members list every six months to see if there are others who qualifiy for the platinum card,” said Mr Aran.

TG executives claim Platinum member privileges will be a strict secret between members and ROP , but that situation is not likely to stay that way once the cards are activated.
The new version of ROP cards will have microchip and THAI is currently discussing with Central department stores on ways to allow ROP members to convert their mileage points into cash for shopping.

Mr Aran said that there would be other benefits added to the revamped ROP cards, but they will not be announced until 3 September.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: TG Plat
with 5 flights a year you can't maintain Platinum but your maths seem to make sense
also do not believe that there are 6k Platinum members...
You are correct about 5 flights, I was thinking more of my number one route LHR - BKK - HKT where 5 returns in business is just a few miles short of 80,000 tier miles. BKK - AKL is similar miles but the majority are shorter.

Lament's post though does suggest that the number is far higher than one would think. TIPs? Ex TG higher ranking employees?
Old May 22, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
why did you not speak up when our fellow Thaikwai provided this figure. it's not mine.
he had this from the Marketing Department of TG.
however I think that my figure of 10 up Gold members per flight could be quite realistic...
i must have missed it... sorry I know it's not your figures... at least now you know what you write draws my attention more than Thaikwai 😜 (I am joking).
Old May 22, 2017, 6:23 am

i must have missed it... sorry I know it's not your figures... at least now you know what you write draws my attention more than Thaikwai 😜 (I am joking).
i am sooo flattered!
(don't tell the buffalo!)
Old May 22, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: BRK-B

Agreed, now there are some extreme cases e.g.

1. TG Indian flight: A lot of TG*G as there are a lot of Indians flying as part of their jobs (buying something in BKK because it is cheaper). Up to around 70.

2. TG UK flight during half-term/easter break, a lot of students (like me) flying 4 times a year and get TG*G, you found most of them on these flights. Up to around 40 sometimes 70.

3. Short Haul night flight (e.g. TG418), would be quite a few sometimes only 5.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Agreed, now there are some extreme cases e.g.

1. TG Indian flight: A lot of TG*G as there are a lot of Indians flying as part of their jobs (buying something in BKK because it is cheaper). Up to around 70.

2. TG UK flight during half-term/easter break, a lot of students (like me) flying 4 times a year and get TG*G, you found most of them on these flights. Up to around 40 sometimes 70.

3. Short Haul night flight (e.g. TG418), would be quite a few sometimes only 5.
quite interesting observation! actually i give a .... as long as I feel treated like the only Platinum member on board!
Old May 23, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
i am sooo flattered!
(don't tell the buffalo!)
Horrible, horrible people.......how dare you question the "expert"!!

Seriously though........the post with the expected numbers from the THAI announcement marries up well with my estimate of 3,000 Platinum members...I never said 6,000, did I?

And, other posters who say maybe 3,000,000 ROP members in TOTAL, could well also be true......especially when you consider credit card members and those who are ROP members but have never actually set foot on THAI metal?

I have seen monks, and definite TIPs, who are Platinum members but most likely not flying 80,000 miles, in two consecutive years, in C/J/F/P on TG metal, so I guess you could estimate that about 20% of Platinum members have been "gifted" the status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.