Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Anything new on TG's relaunch of North America service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, GE/NEXUS, Starbucks Gold

We visit Thailand at least once a year, and the specter of direct service from SEA or YVR is very appealing to this family. Last I heard (summer 2016), they were tossing this year around as a potential timeline for reintroduction. Haven't heard anything since. Any rumblings?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:57 pm

I don't have any insights on TG resuming that service, but I would point out there are more good connecting options now through hubs like NRT where you can be on a 787 for one or both legs of the journey. NH is using 787 for many of their trans-pacific flights, and TG has at least one 787 on the BKK-NRT route. You still have the connection to deal with, but the human factors improvements of the new planes make the long journey easier.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

last news i heard was they are considering to start US service in early 2018.

don't know if it's changed or not.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rambutan
NH is using 787 for many of their trans-pacific flights, and TG has at least one 787 on the BKK-NRT route.
TG currently two time A380 (!) and one time A330
in my experience combined tickets with TG to USA destinations in premium classes are getting very expensive and NRT somehow loose ist Appeal as the major hub with ICN and HKG catching up
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
in my experience combined tickets with TG to USA destinations in premium classes are getting very expensive and NRT somehow loose ist Appeal as the major hub with ICN and HKG catching up
I think the loss of "appeal" of NRT is that lots of the 5th freedom routes for US carriers like United and Delta are going away in lieu of now being able to operate new direct routes from the US to other Asian markets.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I think the loss of "appeal" of NRT is that lots of the 5th freedom routes for US carriers like United and Delta are going away in lieu of now being able to operate new direct routes from the US to other Asian markets.
agreed; that is a reason as well, in particular for destinations in China...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
NH has been selling some cheap through-fares which include the TG segment, but UA only sells the full C on TG.

ICN is good westbound but the connection eastbound has a very long layover.

I like HKG best of all, but not easy to route this on a single *A ticket from the US. CX, yes.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I like HKG best of all, but not easy to route this on a single *A ticket from the US. CX, yes.
yes indeed! did you manage that at reasonable Prices?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
yes indeed! did you manage that at reasonable Prices?
I just do separate tix when I route via HKG, and burn Avios on CX for HKG-BKK. Only really works if you don't check a bag.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
TG FA told me they planned to launch SFO by year end but it's an FAs word and this is TG we're talking about so take it with a grain of salt.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
TG FA told me they planned to launch SFO by year end but it's an FAs word and this is TG we're talking about so take it with a grain of salt.
Oh, that would be wonderful!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:44 am

would a TG FA say that actually some TIP's and government agencies are pushing very hard for it but business wise it makes no sense at all and the boards want to turn it down?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
SFO->BKK direct would excite me a lot
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
SFO->BKK direct would excite me a lot
not likely; their direct flight to JFK with premium cabin only was a disaster.
Also SQ withdraw from direct flights
probably with certain new types of A350 possible but likely not with normal cabin lay out
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I asked my friend who works at the TG head office, she said the same thing. SQ is heading in the same direction when they launched direct flights from SIN to SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.