Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG620 BKK to MNL in Royal Silk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

TG620 BKK to MNL in Royal Silk

I recently flew BKK to MNL in J (TG620...the 7:45am departure) and was disappointed that I didn't get to try Samrab. Perhaps on the return.

What was offered was...

First Course
Fresh fruits
Yoghurt

Main Course
Frittata with Capiscum and potatoes
Premium pork saussage
Baked tomato with olive oil and herbs
Potato and cream

or

Pancake filled with scrambled eggs and chives
Pan-fried veal chipolata
Duchess potatoes, red cherry tomato with olive oil

or

Grilled chicken with teriyaki sauce
Steamed Japanese rice
Carrot and French bean

bread roll, croissant, jam, butter
tea, coffee, chocolate malt

The wine list included (and apologies for spelling errors)...
Henri Bourgeois Sanceree Les Baronnes 2014, Loire Valley
Chablis Premier Cru Seigneurie de Montigny 2013, Burgundy
Bourgogne Pinot Noir Pierre Gruber 2013, Burgundy
Chateau D'Arcins, Haut-Medoc 2012, Bourdeaux
Veuve Cliquot Brut n.v.

The pancake was very nice and being so early in the morning I didn't sample the wines. I stuck with the Veuve, which got me from BKK to MNL very nicely!

I'll post the menu for TG621 after Songkran.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Samrab is only available on long haul
that was a typical short haul breakfast menu; be happy that you got 3 choices...
the wine menu also typical with french wines, 2 white (usually a chardonnay and a sauvignon or sancerre) and 2 red (usually a Burgundy and a Bordeaux)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
MNL - BKK menu (TG 625)

Hope this is not too late ..
I did the BKK-MNL-BKK flight last weekend (Apr 7-9)
The morning dep. were much too early for me, so I chose the flights that dep. later
(TG 624/625)

I always order the low sodium meals but I took a pic of the menú for TG625 by chance (I usually don't but if it is of interest to other members, I will do so going forward)
Attached Images  
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:17 pm

4 choices as main course is quite generous!
remarkable that beside the dessert, there is no western dish offered
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Samrab

Originally Posted by ThaiDan
I recently flew BKK to MNL in J (TG620...the 7:45am departure) and was disappointed that I didn't get to try Samrab. Perhaps on the return.

As mentioned, there won't be Samrab menú on this flight/route
Not sure about long haul only, but it was served on our BKK-CTS-BKK flight last Feb.
My Mom had ordered it, and I tried some of it. It was all right, I think you'll get better Thai food on the ground. I remember there was a duck With salted vegetable dish + larb moo. Can't remember the rest.
I'm not a fan of serving local dishes on board in J class.
Reminds me of what SQ is also doing - the Teochew dishes With congee which honestly is pretty normal everyday dishes (*read : cheap*), & certainly not something I'd want to eat in Business class.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
As mentioned, there won't be Samrab menú on this flight/route
Not sure about long haul only, but it was served on our BKK-CTS-BKK flight last Feb.
My Mom had ordered it, and I tried some of it. It was all right, I think you'll get better Thai food on the ground. I remember there was a duck With salted vegetable dish + larb moo. Can't remember the rest.
I'm not a fan of serving local dishes on board in J class.
Reminds me of what SQ is also doing - the Teochew dishes With congee which honestly is pretty normal everyday dishes (*read : cheap*), & certainly not something I'd want to eat in Business class.
well that is a 7 hours flight...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Some tips on MNL

Not sure if you are a 1st time traveler to MNL but here are some useful tips that I learnt in my 4 trips there on TG in the past 9 months -

1. Traffic is bad, like really bad so always leave your hotel 4-5 hours to get to the airport except for Sun. traffic is usually much better (3-4 hours in this case)
2. Which brings me to the terrible lounge which TG (& surprising QR uses in MNL). It is small & it gets crowded, the hot food is usually congee & some sort of fried noodle or pasta. No espresso machine but a pot of coffee sitting on the warmer for God knows how long. And no milk for the coffee, only non dairy creamer. The wine is really cheap, and un-drinkable (I'm not fussy about my wines either) so it's truly, really bad.
Have a full meal before leaving for the airport.
3. Check in counters open approx. 3 hours before dep. It is a messy terminal, & while we were standing in line to check in, several passengers just walked into the Ëxit lane & waited there for the next available agent. Weird.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
well that is a 7 hours flight...

Hi BS .. Happy SK!

Actually .. it was a 5.5 hours flight to CTS, and slightly longer back to BKK

I guess it boils down to the definition of LH
For me LH = USA or Europe flights i.e. 11-12 hrs duration (or more)
Intra Asia = 4-7 hours is just regional for me
Not sure how to define flights to Oz e.g. SYD or MEL - which are slightly longer
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

well BKK to SYD and MEL are certainly long haul as they are close to 9 hours
TG treats flights to Japan as something in between long and mid haul. In F they provide pyjamas, but no caviar
At least this is my observation as I do not know their written policy
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you, kaffir76! You saved me typing up the menu for the return. It is identical to what was offered on TG 621 (the 1:10pm departure from MNL) today.

The TG lounge is closed and J pax are being directed to the PAGSS lounge. I was never in the old TG lounge at MNL, but from what I've read about it, this must be an improvement. Cheese panini sandwiches and chicken & ham sandwiches, potato and leek soup, penne puttahesca, very tasty mini carrot cakes and blondies, red and white wine where pax didn't have to ask for it (BKK lounge, please take note!) along with other adult beverages including San Miguel light, and a fancy brewed cofee machine that I didn't try, not being a coffee drinker. Definitely an improvement!
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by ThaiDan; Apr 17, 2017 at 5:43 am Reason: correct spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.