TG service deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:29 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
TG service deteriorating

Hi guys

I flew domestic TG Business in 2013, 2014 and now in 2016 and I must say that now the Royal Silk service has become really mediocre.

One thing that has changed over the years is that there is no more meal selection before the flight (thus no more vegetarian choice) and no advance seat selection.

Also, the crew was very disorganized and unattentive.

It's a pity because I remember well my first TG Business flight in 2012 which was very nice.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Which flights are you referring to? And where did you make your reservation?
I think it's a a problem of your travel agent - or were you booking online?
Then you need to contact TG directly or the respective online-platform owner...

Of course there is the possibility to arrange seating well in advance and you can of course also order vegetarian meals - it should be done till 48 hrs prior to departure.
A new "restaurant dining concept" which has been introduced on A380 flights already is going to be expanded to flights by B777 and B747 as well.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:15 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

I was unclear, I apologize. I am talking about domestic flights
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
there was no advanced seat selection and no choice of meal on domestic flights for many years! even in J and as a Platinum I can not select seat prior to 24 hours before my flight
and I have to take (or reject) what they serve as meal
it's just domestic so I do not care. Important is that I can take some oversized carry on bags with me and never anybody question me!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BinSabai
there was no advanced seat selection and no choice of meal on domestic flights for many years! even in J and as a Platinum I can not select seat prior to 24 hours before my flight
and I have to take (or reject) what they serve as meal
it's just domestic so I do not care. Important is that I can take some oversized carry on bags with me and never anybody question me!
I recall there was in 2012
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
there is a very good reason why they don't offer advance seat reservation for domestic flights: how often is equipment being changed on the so called "trunk routes" to Phuket and to Chiang Mai? TG deploys the aircraft according not only to "aircraft availability" and "aircraft rotation" but also depending on "demand" and often switches aircraft from A330 to B777 or even B747...it gives them a lot of flexibility which they need on those routes and the disadvantage of lack of advance seat reservation service on these short routes can be ignored....
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
I think the service has declined steadily and greatly since I started traveling with them in 2000. The J class meals are now truly awful, worse than SQ Y class by a long way, mains served up in a horrid little oblong bowl with sauce in a cardboard cupcake type thing. FAs are very hit and miss, mostly miss in my recent experience and I certainly wouldn't want to be paying full revenue for their J product. They do have a great FF programme with better upgrade and they do seem to look after their premium loyalty card holders with plentiful opups.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
I think the service has declined steadily and greatly since I started traveling with them in 2000. The J class meals are now truly awful, worse than SQ Y class by a long way, mains served up in a horrid little oblong bowl with sauce in a cardboard cupcake type thing. FAs are very hit and miss, mostly miss in my recent experience and I certainly wouldn't want to be paying full revenue for their J product. They do have a great FF programme with better upgrade and they do seem to look after their premium loyalty card holders with plentiful opups.
you compare TG domestic flights with SQ? does SQ have domestic flights?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Plentiful opups?!

You must be a TIP! I think the consensus is that TG are pretty frugal when it comes to opups. I have been TG gold for around 8 years now and had just 2 in all that time !

I tend to agree that the food ain't great and the service can be hit and miss but for regional J the hard product isn't bad. I am located in HK and the choice of the angle flat seats on TG versus the Cathay J product means I fly TG every time when there is a choice.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
you compare TG domestic flights with SQ? does SQ have domestic flights?
No, of course I am not comparing with SQ domestic, just saying that TG J main meals on any flight are generally of a lower standard than SQ Y food offerings. I do travel mostly long haul but do do a few TG regional flights.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by newshound
Plentiful opups?!

You must be a TIP! I think the consensus is that TG are pretty frugal when it comes to opups. I have been TG gold for around 8 years now and had just 2 in all that time !

I tend to agree that the food ain't great and the service can be hit and miss but for regional J the hard product isn't bad. I am located in HK and the choice of the angle flat seats on TG versus the Cathay J product means I fly TG every time when there is a choice.
I can't imagine that I am a TIP, but who knows what the criteria for that are. I always seem to get at least 1 opup yearly and often more. Last was last year AKL LHR and got both LHR sectors J to F
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by newshound
Plentiful opups?!

agreed on hard product and on few opups. They seem to be very greedy on opups, even for Platinum member.
But as a Platinum member you get a lot of upgrade (PUP's) anyway
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
No, of course I am not comparing with SQ domestic, just saying that TG J main meals on any flight are generally of a lower standard than SQ Y food offerings. I do travel mostly long haul but do do a few TG regional flights.
I do not agree that TG J main meals are lower than SQ Y on longhaul. But then I don't fly enough Y. These days J is J, people's expectations are higher than ever and is very subjective to personal taste. I can find of things to complain/ moan even on TK, OS. Last month I had 4 QR longhaul, 2 CX to and from Asia and I do miss TG J serving on a few occasions. I don't like tray service unless is a sleeper flight and that's SQ Y.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by kinchai
I do not agree that TG J main meals are lower than SQ Y on longhaul. But then I don't fly enough Y. These days J is J, people's expectations are higher than ever and is very subjective to personal taste. I can find of things to complain/ moan even on TK, OS. Last month I had 4 QR longhaul, 2 CX to and from Asia and I do miss TG J serving on a few occasions. I don't like tray service unless is a sleeper flight and that's SQ Y.
One issue of TG J food is the Thai dishes are same for Y and J (even domestic and intl J has the same dish). I believe this is still the case.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
One issue of TG J food is the Thai dishes are same for Y and J (even domestic and intl J has the same dish). I believe this is still the case.
Yes, that is correct, slightly different plating but the same food. Pretty slack for a premium product. As many have pointed out though, the newer seats are great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.