Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Booking an itinerary with TG and WE flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club

I'm looking to visit Siam Reap And Krabi during my trip to Thailand. My itinerary so far is looking to be EWR-LHR-BKK on UA/TG then four nights in BKK, five nights in REP, five nights in KRV and then flying back to BKK and continuing to EWR on UA/TG. The UA/TG flights will be purchased separately from the internal flights.

My plan was to purchase a multi-city itinerary BKK-REP-KRV-BKK with TG/WE however I am not able to do so one the website, and it looks like I would need to purchase separate tickets on WE for BKK-REP-BKK and on TG for BKK-KRV-BKK. I would be flying from REP-KRV on the same day (so WE REP-BKK connecting to TG BKK-KRV). I wanted to put this on one ticket in case there is a delay on the REP-BKK flight so TG would protect me on the next BKK-KRV flight, which they will not do if I purchase separate tickets. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this, and so if I need to purchase separate tickets I would need to spend about 6 hours in transit in BKK as the earlier flight doesn't leave me much wiggle room, in case there is a delay. Additionally I am not sure if WE would interline with TG on separate tickets.

I am able to purchase a multi city itinerary on PG's website, and since it is all on one ticket I am much more comfortable booking the shorter 2 hour connection since I will be protected if there is a delay on my first flight. I would prefer to book on TG if possible (I do like the higher checked baggage allowance) but only if I can book it as one ticket. I would rather get to my hotel in KRV four hours earlier than waiting around in BKK because I was forced to book a long layover on separate tickets. Is there a way to purchase a combined WE and TG itinerary so I can reduce the connection time in BKK, or will I just have to bite the bullet and purchase on PG?

Thanks for your help! Just trying to figure out what my options are. I've been to BKK once before, but this will be my first time taking local flights from BKK (last time I flew AC/TK so no experience dealing with TG yet). Thanks again!!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think after having a go myself that you are 'stuck' with PG if you want to book a single multi-sector ticket on-line. I couldn't get Expedia or other search engines to provide WE options.

I also notice that WE doesn't have multi-city options - only return and one-way.

That said, an old fashioned Travel Agent might be able to put what you want on the one booking.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: TG Plat
You cannot even book HKT-BKK-KKC on one ticket if TG/WE. Worse than that in BKK you have to collect your bag and check in again. In HKT they will not even route your bag direct. Madness.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'm really surprised that you cannot do that, it doesn't really make sense to me. Oh well, I guess PG it is then, it doesn't seem worth the hassle to purchase separate tickets.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It is disappointing. I finally flew WE for the first time CNX-BKK-CNX and had flights arriving early with great FAs.
Even booking on the TG site I couldn't even do TG in WE out or vv, it all had to be the same carrier even 3 days apart.
I wish UA would make WE a MileagePlus "partner".
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It is disappointing. I finally flew WE for the first time CNX-BKK-CNX and had flights arriving early with great FAs.
Even booking on the TG site I couldn't even do TG in WE out or vv, it all had to be the same carrier even 3 days apart.
I wish UA would make WE a MileagePlus "partner".
I doubt anyone will be a Weeeeeweeeee(weeeweeee) partner. TG did this expressly so there would be no additional costs for statused pax.

And with no benefits they become TG to me.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:55 am

At the BKK check in counter there's a sign saying LH SEN can use the Plus counter. Not sure if there's any sort of baggage allowance as well.

4U is a partner with UA MP so it's not a total stretch.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
At the BKK check in counter there's a sign saying LH SEN can use the Plus counter. Not sure if there's any sort of baggage allowance as well.

4U is a partner with UA MP so it's not a total stretch.
But Germanwings is a subsidiary of one of UA's JV partners (LH), a totally different ballgame.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Problem with booking PG is that you need to leave massive amount of time in BKK these days if connecting from TG.

You can book WE on a TG ticket - Thai actually offer discounted rates on these sectors. Trouble is, they don't online.

Normally i'd say that in the time it's taken you to type the post you could call a good TA, but I happen to know that Thai have not yet released an extention of the WE sectors beyond 31st March 2016, so you'll have to wait for them to be extended. God knows when that would happen.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Problem with booking PG is that you need to leave massive amount of time in BKK these days if connecting from TG.

You can book WE on a TG ticket - Thai actually offer discounted rates on these sectors. Trouble is, they don't online.

Normally i'd say that in the time it's taken you to type the post you could call a good TA, but I happen to know that Thai have not yet released an extention of the WE sectors beyond 31st March 2016, so you'll have to wait for them to be extended. God knows when that would happen.
Well then it's a good thing I took the time to post since I learned something, so I'd say that was a good use of my time. The TG to PG connection won't be an issue since I will just purchase all my flights on PG.

I did email TG and their suggestion was to book separately and leave plenty of time between my flight in case of delay. They also said that TG will likely transfer my bags to WE but not necessarily the other way around. I just think the whole separation of TG/WE to the point that it is so complicated to book a mixed itinerary is rather unfortunate because I can't imagine that I am the only person who is now forced to book with, and give my money to, another airline because I can't be bothered to deal with the hassle, despite the fact that TG was my first choice.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Please look closely at the costs of the flights. If booked on TG, they will always be more expensive than if booked on WE.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I kind of meant your KRV-BKK flight if connecting. By KRV - do you mean Krabi? Or somewhere else. I'd recommend buying that flight on Thai instead of PG so you connect back seamlessly.

Unfortunately TG have missed an opportunity with PG's recent announcement that they no longer will check baggage through.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

yes I will be flying back from Krabi, but I am flying back to BKK the day before flying on the BKK-LHR flight on TG, so the baggage won't be a problem. I was most concerned with the baggage when I am flying REP-BKK-KRV on the same day. If I go the separate TG/WE option, I will need to factor in a 6 hour connection in BKK (based on current schedules) since I need to recheck my bags, whereas with PG I can safely book the 2 hour connection since A) I will not need to reclaim my bag and check in again in BKK and B) if the PG flight is delayed for whatever reason, it will be on one ticket. Disappointing I can't book on Thai, but that is their choice to lose my business!! But I will get to experience TG for the first time flying to and from LHR and I am looking forward to that. I'm hoping they don't do their famous plane substitution, because I want to try their new J seat!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
yes I will be flying back from Krabi, but I am flying back to BKK the day before flying on the BKK-LHR flight on TG, so the baggage won't be a problem. I was most concerned with the baggage when I am flying REP-BKK-KRV on the same day. If I go the separate TG/WE option, I will need to factor in a 6 hour connection in BKK (based on current schedules) since I need to recheck my bags, whereas with PG I can safely book the 2 hour connection since A) I will not need to reclaim my bag and check in again in BKK and B) if the PG flight is delayed for whatever reason, it will be on one ticket. Disappointing I can't book on Thai, but that is their choice to lose my business!! But I will get to experience TG for the first time flying to and from LHR and I am looking forward to that. I'm hoping they don't do their famous plane substitution, because I want to try their new J seat!
I think you're pretty safe from getting "TG'd" on LHR.
Honestly I was like you the past 2.5 years booking everything on TG to "give them my business" and get some meager points. After being pleasently surprised by WE on CNX-BKK-CNX and PG CNX-USM-CNX I'm starting to let best schedule dictate who I fly. I also plan REP, KUL, SGN later this year and I'm just going to go on schedule.
I still plan on staying away from Air Asia, Lion, etc though I had a perfectly fine Nok flight CNX-UTH-CNX because it was the only direct flight I found.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
It wasn't TG that made the announcement of through check, but PG. Unless i'm missing something TG-PG can still through check, it's just the PG-OAL that can no longer be accomplished.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.