Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

No longer possible to ws as gold on certain dat (limited/no inventory on redemptions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer possible to ws as gold on certain dat (limited/no inventory on redemptions)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 1:17 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond

I tried to redeem my TG 50% upgrade for this year and was surprised that almost a year in advance, I was not able to book my ticket. The fare class was showing full (2 of 4 flights) 330 days out.

My previous experience had been that we would be put on the ws and a chaser would be sent to BKK. I have over the past 10 years, always cleared the waitlist, usually after no more than a day wait. On this occasion, my local office told me that the ws was full and that they could not even put me on nor send a chaser to BKK.

My impression is that TG is no longer providing blanket availability for redemption. From a commercial stand point, this is probably only sensible and most other airlines do have mechanisms to ensure their revenue is protected (BA, NH have peak/non peak award, others do not release inventory on certain dates).

I was clearing up my ROP account on the basis of the outrageous fees on redemption (they want 998$ taxes for a return SIN-CDG in Biz) and the fact that using the UPG cost me only slightly less than buying an outright ticket on competitor airlines. Combined this with the very high burn rate, it seems TG is intending to make its program less attractive for its members.

This is only 1 data point and certainly not a distribution. So try for yourself. Looks like redeeming on TG is getting harder.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
your observation is correct and tally with my experience. In a recent case I called TG and got what I want. So there flexibility and the positive surprises are still there!
Old May 26, 2015, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BinSabai
your observation is correct and tally with my experience. In a recent case I called TG and got what I want. So there flexibility and the positive surprises are still there!
Ah but BinSabai, one would need to be ROP Platinum to enjoy the flexibility. As a mere gold I feel... unloved.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnSIN
Ah but BinSabai, one would need to be ROP Platinum to enjoy the flexibility. As a mere gold I feel... unloved.
wonder why you distribute your miles on 3 different *A accounts!
I sometimes wonder whether I should still keep two. I have no chance for LH Hon circle as I am living in Asia and am not German, but can still easy requalify for SEN in addition to the TG Platinum. But a third one?
coming back to your statement I am nor sure whether TG really loves Platinum but they pay some attention and try to give some good service. As for Gold it maybe more depend on how you ask...
Old May 28, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: BRK-B
I think it may be because of the local office, which may be different in different country. In similar way, I heard that FRA office often reject the Gold Upgrade, but BKK office regards the Gold Upgrade tickets as paid fare Business, hence depends on this availability. My guess is different office in different country get different redemption availability quota. But I need someone else to confirm.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

This was no GUP but the 50% redemption.
The GUP I was told by my local office, was issued as long as there was availability in any fare categories in biz. So that is a lot easier to redeem but also a lot more expensive. A GUP last year from SIN to CDG did cost me 2300$, hardly a bargain.

Now for the 50% redemption, the bucket is definitely I, so if there is no availability there, no choice.

BinSabai, I asked very politely and the ladies of my local TG office see me regularly, so I don't think it is the reason. Tightening of the inventory, which considering where TG is at this juncture, is probably a good thing, except for those of us who were making the best of the benefits provided to us.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Last I checked, SQ charges around $700 for taxes and fees to CDG for J.

So it is not only TG whose award redemption that are overly expensive. (I assume you are trying to redeem F)

As a data point, most US carriers charges below US$200 for taxes and fees for SIN-CDG RT award J.

As an aside, I wonder if this has anything to do with TG being too much in the red. I doubt it, but it is possible.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 28, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old May 31, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Last I checked, SQ charges around $700 for taxes and fees to CDG for J.

So it is not only TG whose award redemption that are overly expensive. (I assume you are trying to redeem F)

As a data point, most US carriers charges below US$200 for taxes and fees for SIN-CDG RT award J.

As an aside, I wonder if this has anything to do with TG being too much in the red. I doubt it, but it is possible.
Correct .
I just redeemed an F award CDG-BKK-CDG and the taxes were 514 Euros .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.