Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cutbacks are starting to bite........

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Allvest
no caviar between NRT BKK. But not sure if there ever was in F.
I don't think Japan had caviar in F. It also wasn't KIX-BKK F but I was expecting that.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Allvest
no caviar between NRT BKK. But not sure if there ever was in F.
Yeah that's nothing new. They didnt serve caviar on NRTBKK when I flew it on the A380 about a year ago.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Globalist
Flying to LHR Saturday and back from FRA in F and look forward to the DOM and Caviar. It has been a long time since I flown F on TG.. I should be having the same cabins as in my trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-747-a380.html

Globalist
Had a great flight to London last week, Day flight, 744-all series with 9 suites in F, plenty of DOM, Caviar, good dinner service and skipped the second service as I was just too full.

Back on the A380 from FRA last Saturday, great crew, great hard product, plenty of DOM again, Caviar but a mediocre choice of mains.

No feel of any cutbacks to me, on both flights got a blue Rimowa amenity kit. I think I have them all now. (Grey, Silver, Blue, Red, White, Purple).

Globalist
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:43 pm

Perhaps F is good, but I just took a few flights on Thai in Y and it was bad. Service, food, seats - everything was really awful. So awful, in fact, that after these flights my flight on United felt almost pleasant.

I last flew Thai about 2 years ago and at the time both Y and C experience was very good, on par with some of the other good quality Asian carriers. I have no idea what happened, but if these 3 flights are any guide - I'd stay far away from Thai until they get their act together.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by br2k
Perhaps F is good, but I just took a few flights on Thai in Y and it was bad. Service, food, seats - everything was really awful. So awful, in fact, that after these flights my flight on United felt almost pleasant.

I last flew Thai about 2 years ago and at the time both Y and C experience was very good, on par with some of the other good quality Asian carriers. I have no idea what happened, but if these 3 flights are any guide - I'd stay far away from Thai until they get their act together.
just have no expectations, be friendly and humble, and be happy when they treat you well. its ok to write comments to TG back office, if you consider they should improve. on the one hand, they wont care and not reply. on the other hand, they could, and then have a reason to also manage their staffing better.

I quit TG already three times, still flying. but zero expectations. being PLAT flying Y, they ever told me "you have to fly more to get special service" - there you go. so i gave up being upset. makes my life much easier
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by boogey
just have no expectations, be friendly and humble, and be happy when they treat you well. its ok to write comments to TG back office, if you consider they should improve. on the one hand, they wont care and not reply. on the other hand, they could, and then have a reason to also manage their staffing better.

I quit TG already three times, still flying. but zero expectations. being PLAT flying Y, they ever told me "you have to fly more to get special service" - there you go. so i gave up being upset. makes my life much easier
Flying Y as a Platinum member is confusing for the air crew as, by definition, you only qualify for Platinum by flying in Business or First. On the odd occasion where Business has been full and I have had to fly in Economy, I have been offered my meal choice first and that's it.

Even when flying in Business regionally there is nothing special about being Platinum, other than the very occasional "we value you as our loyal Platinum member", and occasionally blocking the seat next to me, and of course the F Lounge. But then I guess the same complaints would probably be heard from SQ PPS members?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Even when flying in Business regionally there is nothing special about being Platinum, other than the very occasional "we value you as our loyal Platinum member", and occasionally blocking the seat next to me, and of course the F Lounge. But then I guess the same complaints would probably be heard from SQ PPS members?
don't forget priority on waitinglists, sitting in F seats with J tickets on routes where F is not sold and sometimes better service (crew will find a magazine for you or some more drinks been served as other passengers without asking)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by br2k

This has not been my experience at all. I recently flew TG FUK-BKK in Y on B787. I frequently fly UA Y, and TG is much better. Free wine, huge audio/visual selection, unlike UA.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Quote:

Flying Y as a Platinum member is confusing for the air crew as, by definition, you only qualify for Platinum by flying in Business or First. On the odd occasion where Business has been full and I have had to fly in Economy, I have been offered my meal choice first and that's it.

Exactly that was the situation - I had Goldie's on the left and on the right (I sat in seat 31E with my friends) and Goldie's were offered food selection - after I asked politely "would you mind to ask me as well please" I got that you have to fly more reply.

And I fly economy frequently too - I make Platinum usually within the first few months of cycle, then it's no difference any further where you sit imho
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:14 am

Exactly that was the situation - I had Goldie's on the left and on the right (I sat in seat 31E with my friends) and Goldie's were offered food selection - after I asked politely "would you mind to ask me as well please" I got that you have to fly more reply.

And I fly economy frequently too - I make Platinum usually within the first few months of cycle, then it's no difference any further where you sit imho
you mean that crew asked only the Gold members first and turned you as Platinum member down?
they have no clue!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:16 pm

The cutbacks are starting to bite........

Yes exactly. But I'm not angry them at all - he ran with his printed gold list in his hand straight to me and said/showed to me that I'm not on his list. Sure. It's plat not gold. Seems ground or inflight manager sometimes also have their share in success of customer service

what I said is just forget any expectations. Then TG can be a great travel adventure !!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Just a few minor data points to update the cut back thread.

Flew Thai First class SYD-BKK last week, connecting to BKK-BEIJING in Biz as no F cabin.

Tried to pre-allocate F seats for 2 pax travelling together, almost 3 days out, and got told by Sydney after a half hour on phone waiting - 'flight is now under airport control'. HUH??? Glad we were not paying $10,000 for that ride.

The Sydney phone scramble button for Biz and F flights has been axed in the cutbacks it seems. I use a hands free phone but if I needed to hold a phone in a busy office, and wait 30 mins to be told First Class seats cannot be allocated 2 days out, I’d be mightily p!ssed.

Tried to pre-allocate MEALS and got much the same story - not enough notice. Website refused to allow seating either. The online web ordering system has NEVER worked for me, and they keep getting told and they keep not fixing it.

Got the new type TG 747 which we have not had before. I personally prefer the older style F cabin on the 747s, and prefer both over the A380, but life moves on. LUCKILY we got the only 2 seats next to each other in the end as it was lightly booked. Last row in Centre. Had they been booked, couples travelling together are TOAST.

Got the usual golf cart arrival transfer to lounge in BKK.

Staff in F in our past dozen long hauls have ALWAYS visited each guest soon before arrival, with purser and head FA kneeling by each seat thanking pax for their business. Probably only 4 or 5 pax in F, and not a sign of that this time. Only a tiny thing, but we noticed it. Cost to TG ZERO to keep that on the roster.

In F lounge in BKK for a few hours, and as always about 4 times more staff than patrons - no cutbacks THERE that I could detect!

Asked the head looking person in there when the PEK flight was boarding, and was told a half hour. Walked out to reception area in a half hour, and checked if it was still on time, and was told it was starting boarding and to go to gate.

Asked if a cart was available, as that gate was an ETERNITY away, and was told rather sheepishly that ‘due to Budget cuts on July 1, we no longer offer that service’.

I have no idea how many cart trained drivers TG have there – dozens most likely in BKK, but that really seemed a DUMB cutback, especially seeing gate was seemingly miles way, and we were tired. But trudge by foot there we did.

Protested a little and got the blank face embarrassed response.

Strange, and anyway as mentioned a few more data points.

When things get tough, the SMART companies try a little HARDER, not a little less. @:-)@:-)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:22 am

thanks for update ozstamps

the cart service from F lounge to departure gate has been cut some times before TG got into restructuring
I also like the old F of 747 more on a day flight

the round of purser and chief FA to each passenger before arrival is still happening, but one crew out of 10 thinks it is not necessary or they are not in the mood to do it
most crews are great but once in a while...I usually try to calm down and minimize my conversation with them
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Tried to pre-allocate F seats for 2 pax travelling together, almost 3 days out, and got told by Sydney after a half hour on phone waiting - 'flight is now under airport control'. HUH??? Glad we were not paying $10,000 for that ride.
From my experience, 3F is always blocked. (So are 1A and 1K on TG's B747 I think).

This is common practice on any other airlines. It doesn't matter whether it's 3 days or 300 days out, you will not get that seat unless you have high status with the operating airline (e.g. SEN/HON with LH or Gold with BAEC). And that's not something money can buy instantly.

In the past I had managed to get blocked seats release for me on TG but not always. Sometimes I ask at check it and they are still available- which is what I think happened in your case.

Pre-order any meals is surely 72 hours in advance, that's with most airlines whether it's C/F meals or special diet meals.

May I ask, did you book your 2 tickets 80 hours before departure or something? Sounds like you didn't have much time. I am just surprised with your travelling experience that you expect all these last minute.

Thank god you didn't ask for a wheel chair when you heard about no buggy ride and knew about the long walk- cos that requires advance booking too.

When things get tough, the SMART companies try a little HARDER, not a little less.
Depends, American based airlines certainly did not try that hard when things were tough...it's only now they are trying a little harder. I am talking about catering only, not customer service and my example is UA.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Staff in F in our past dozen long hauls have ALWAYS visited each guest soon before arrival, with purser and head FA kneeling by each seat thanking pax for their business. Probably only 4 or 5 pax in F, and not a sign of that this time. Only a tiny thing, but we noticed it. Cost to TG ZERO to keep that on the roster.
I wish they would do away with this. Most of the time it's pretentious and forced anyway... especially when the recipient is a non-Hi-So Thai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.