Wiki Posts
Search

What is Challenge Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
What is Challenge Airlines?

Looking at a booking BKK - KBV on TG and and seeing flights operated by Challenge. Who or what are they and how do they compare on a short flight like this...?

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Aug 6, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
I think you are getting confused. Challenge airlines is now part of Centurion Air Cargo in the US. However WE is also the identifier for Thai Smile. A low cost TG subsidiary generally regarded as being pretty crap. More info here..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...-we-drops.html
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
On the UA website, Thai Smile flights are being mis-identified as "Operated by Challange". Is that where you are seeing this?

As alluded to by cmdsea, it is probably a coding error based on the new airline identifier "WE" for Thai Smile.

The link provided will give you the info needed on Thai Smile. Seat guru has their A320 as well, if you are looking for info on seats.

ADDED: Also be aware that this is a possibility of your flight departing from DMK airport instead of BKK airport. Things are in a bit of flux at the moment.
More info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...-move-dmk.html

Last edited by goodeats21; Aug 7, 2014 at 6:52 am Reason: Added
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Yes, seeing on UA while thinking about a mileage ticket. Appears as:

Travel Time:
1 hr 20 mn
Flight: TG2243
Operated by Challenge.
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Fare Class: Economy (X)

So this is LCC working with Thai? Do you accrue miles...etc?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:16 pm

I am heading to KBV in a couple of weeks and the morning and evening flights are operated by Thai A330's if you dont want to take the lunch time Thai smile flight.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Yes, seeing on UA while thinking about a mileage ticket. Appears as:

Travel Time:
1 hr 20 mn
Flight: TG2243
Operated by Challenge.
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Fare Class: Economy (X)

So this is LCC working with Thai? Do you accrue miles...etc?
I have no idea what "Challenge" is but I can assure you this is as accurate as UA's designation that all 747s were 747-200 and all 777s were 77Ws. IOW: They are including flight info that is complete bunk.

Any TG code with 4 digits is a TG flight. These will be switched to WE coding solely in time (supposedly) but right now they are code shared though WE will not be part of *A (think SQ/MI) once the TG moniker is dropped.

It was already mentioned that it is UA who's challenged and this is not accurate.... but you still believe UA?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I have no idea what "Challenge" is but I can assure you this is as accurate as UA's designation that all 747s were 747-200 and all 777s were 77Ws. IOW: They are including flight info that is complete bunk.

Any TG code with 4 digits is a TG flight. These will be switched to WE coding solely in time (supposedly) but right now they are code shared though WE will not be part of *A (think SQ/MI) once the TG moniker is dropped.

It was already mentioned that it is UA who's challenged and this is not accurate.... but you still believe UA?
No I don't believe UA...why do you think I do? But I'm still not sure what airline I'd be on and if I'd earn *G miles.....or what the flight would be like compared to a TG flight...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
No I don't believe UA...why do you think I do? But I'm still not sure what airline I'd be on and if I'd earn *G miles.....or what the flight would be like compared to a TG flight...
IT. IS. A. TG. CODE.

If you can't make heads or tails of the information given to you thus far in the thread then there's nothing more I can do.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
You are looking at an award flight, X class as per your post. No award flights earn miles. The flight is on a Thai Smile A320, one of TG's LCC subsidiaries in economy only configuration, so different to mainline. Currently *G members are treated as they would be if they were flying TG mainline but this may change down the track. Also take note that the flight may be out of Don Muang so you might need to make your way across town if connecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.