Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Royal Silk Lounge in Bangkok Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Royal Silk Lounge in Bangkok Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
maybe you could recommend one or several and give a link?
I refrained from giving a particular hotel leaving it up to the OP's preference... but one is the Thong Ta Resort. Rooms from USD23 incl round-trip transfer.

Main site is here - but discounts available through agoda etc: http://thongtaresortandspa.com/index.htm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Platinum; probably missing something
Thanks much. I was wondering if someone in the know would recommend getting a room. I wasn't sure it would be worth going through immigration, etc. for.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by domerdeb
Thanks much. I was wondering if someone in the know would recommend getting a room. I wasn't sure it would be worth going through immigration, etc. for.
With 9 hours (perhaps a fraction more if your flight arrives early), and given the main TG lounges will be closed anyway, I would suggest getting an hotel.

You will have access to priority immigration clearance both on arrival and departure. If you check your bags right through (don't collect in BKK) that will save more time.

Arrival at 0130 should get you out and well on the way to (or even at) your local hotel by 2 am. Departing your hotel at 730 or 8 would get you back to the airport and in the lounge within 45 mins. Time for you to have a 30 minute free massage (included with your J ticket) and off to board the plane.

The TG business lounges are pleasant enough, but there's no 'wow' factor to make them worth hanging around for to maximise lounge time.

Leaving the airport may incur a 700 baht departure fee - but this is not always recouped.

Alternatively, you might want to arrive, wander around the airport for an hour, then have a full, or just foot massage (paid for by you) which would take an hour or so, leaving just another hour before the lounges open.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The TG business lounges are pleasant enough, but there's no 'wow' factor to make them worth hanging around for to maximise lounge time.

Leaving the airport may incur a 700 baht departure fee - but this is not always recouped.
Had a 6 hour transit in BKK over the weekend, and there wasn't any departure fee imposed on me.

If time permits, you can venture into the SQ silverkris lounge too, their food & alcohol offerings are way better than the TG counterparts. They serve coconuts too!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yewgene
Had a 6 hour transit in BKK over the weekend, and there wasn't any departure fee imposed on me.

If time permits, you can venture into the SQ silverkris lounge too, their food & alcohol offerings are way better than the TG counterparts. They serve coconuts too!
but SQ lounge closes even earlier than TG lounge (latest 2330), opens later (0630) and is quite remote to most of the international departure gates
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:18 am

but SQ lounge closes even earlier than TG lounge (latest 2330), opens later (0630) and is quite remote to most of the international departure gates
True, that's why i mentioned "if time permits". Or if domerdeb's flight is near gate C.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
And in the past few years i've been hit less than 10% of the time. LHR/MEL/Europe FF was just saying that pax leaving the transit area are subject to the tax but it's not often collected.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And in the past few years i've been hit less than 10% of the time. LHR/MEL/Europe FF was just saying that pax leaving the transit area are subject to the tax but it's not often collected.
Learned something new today!

Curious though, how would immigration know if a passenger leaving is a transit pax or a genuine bkk-arrival pax?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Learned something new today!

Curious though, how would immigration know if a passenger leaving is a transit pax or a genuine bkk-arrival pax?

It has nothing to do with entry immigration but is all about departure. The only times I've been requested to pay is at the check in desk; some have reported being stopped at exit immigration.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
It has nothing to do with entry immigration but is all about departure. The only times I've been requested to pay is at the check in desk; some have reported being stopped at exit immigration.
Hopefully Missus LFC will be lucky and "not" be requested to pay the exit tax at the airport next week.

Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is entirely random and seems to depend on how eagle-eyed the immigration agent is. However, if asked to pay it is a requirement. I'd say it's a 50-50 chance.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
It is entirely random and seems to depend on how eagle-eyed the immigration agent is. However, if asked to pay it is a requirement. I'd say it's a 50-50 chance.
I would not call it entirely random!
chances are much better that you do not need to pay if you already are in possession of the boarding pass (from initial check in or from transit desk before you leave transit area through immigration). If you have to normally check in again and get your boarding pass, chances are high you have to pay.
Having the boarding pass already, chances are less then 50% that you have to pay as dsquared37 confirms
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not call it entirely random!
chances are much better that you do not need to pay if you already are in possession of the boarding pass (from initial check in or from transit desk before you leave transit area through immigration). If you have to normally check in again and get your boarding pass, chances are high you have to pay.
Having the boarding pass already, chances are less then 50% that you have to pay as dsquared37 confirms
I've never been in possession of my onward BP and have always checked in at the desk in these situations. Still, the percentage of times I've been asked to pay up is very low.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Platinum; probably missing something
Thanks very much to all who chimed in. Having received some assurance that I can get in and out of the airport easily, I made a reservation at the Thongta Resort with a very good rate from booking.com. Problem solved, and I can get that complimentary massage with my J class ticket during my four hour layover on the return.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
There is also an EVA air lounge, how does that compare to the TG and SQ lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.