Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access in Sydney flying in Thai F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Velocity
Lounge Access in Sydney flying in Thai F

I know that TG refer their business and first class passengers to the Air New Zealand lounge at check in but was wondering if I would be able to access the new SQ First Class lounge?

I am flying in First on TG but have no status with Star Alliance (most of my flying is with OW). The Star Alliance website seems to suggest that as an F passenger on a Star Alliance carrier, I should have access but know SQ can be difficult at times. Has anybody flying in F on a Star Alliance carrier had success in gaining access to the F lounge in Sydney (or elsewhere) without relying on status?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
I actually prefer the Air NZ lounge - it just has a better feeling for me... When flying TG in both J and F ex-SYD, that's my happy place before departing.

The Lounge Ladies are so lovely and look after me well - I walk right on past the SQ lounge, every time!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I don't mind the Air New Zealand lounge .... great views but was looking a little tired last time I was there. Just keen to check out the new SQ First Class lounge ... if they will let me in
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by kiwifruit
Yeah I don't mind the Air New Zealand lounge .... great views but was looking a little tired last time I was there. Just keen to check out the new SQ First Class lounge ... if they will let me in
I've not been in since the upgrade - will pop in, in a few weeks time!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Well let us know if you have any problems getting in and how you rate it
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
except the view, nothing exciting about the NZ lounge. A bit low key for a F passenger.
The SQ lounge was not yet refurbished so I did not try
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I know that TG refer their business and first class passengers to the Air New Zealand lounge at check in but was wondering if I would be able to access the new SQ First Class lounge?

I am flying in First on TG but have no status with Star Alliance (most of my flying is with OW). The Star Alliance website seems to suggest that as an F passenger on a Star Alliance carrier, I should have access but know SQ can be difficult at times. Has anybody flying in F on a Star Alliance carrier had success in gaining access to the F lounge in Sydney (or elsewhere) without relying on status?
I recently flew TG F SYD-BKK - 10 am flight. I went to check in at the ANZ lounge, but there was a long line waiting to enter, so I returned to the SQ lounge. No line to enter. They were (reasonably) happy to let me enter, but reminded me that they don't announce TG flights. The F section (on the right) is small, but is quiet and has an airport view. Only 2 other pax were there. An attendant takes your order and I had a glass of Veuve Clicquot. Food selection is adequate, but don't expect a dining room. Only a few newspapers that I could see.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks Restless .... was that since December when the new lounge opened?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks Restless .... was that since December when the new lounge opened?
I've only been in the SYD SQ lounge once, when I visited the F side a month ago.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:30 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
My wife and I were flying SYD-BKK-MUC in May (in F). No problems getting into the SQ F lounge. However, as stated before, they did explicitly tell us that no flight announcements for TG will be made.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:52 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
You will have no trouble accessing the SQ F lounge with your TG F boarding pass. The *A rules clearly state you can access any member F lounge if you're departing *A F, and any member J lounge if departing *A J.

The lounge attendants may say "Oh, TG uses the NZ lounge which is just down the hall" and all you need to reply is "Thank you, however I would prefer to use this lounge". They'll welcome you with a smile (although no boarding announcements will be made).

As others have said, the NZ SYD lounge is pretty good but you may find the SQ lounge less crowded, depending on time of day. The catering in the SQ lounge is much improved post renovation.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hgp
You will have no trouble accessing the SQ F lounge with your TG F boarding pass. The *A rules clearly state you can access any member F lounge if you're departing *A F, and any member J lounge if departing *A J.

The lounge attendants may say "Oh, TG uses the NZ lounge which is just down the hall" and all you need to reply is "Thank you, however I would prefer to use this lounge". They'll welcome you with a smile (although no boarding announcements will be made).

As others have said, the NZ SYD lounge is pretty good but you may find the SQ lounge less crowded, depending on time of day. The catering in the SQ lounge is much improved post renovation.
Try telling LH a *A BP gets you FCL access

SQ lounge attendants do try to persuade pax to use NZ lounge, as you say one needs to insist

SQ F lounge post refurb is very nice, different planet from NZ J lounge ^
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I flew out on the morning flight from Sydney yesterday and had no issues getting into the Singapore Airlines lounge. Only went to the business side but with all of 3 people in the lounge, was much better than visiting the NZ lounge. Food offerings included items such as chicken curry and rice as well as breakfast items of bacon / tomatoes/ chipolatas

Had no need to insist; when I got there I was allowed in with no attempt to send me to the NZ lounge, just informed that they would not be announcing the TG flight
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by chris63
Try telling LH a *A BP gets you FCL access

SQ lounge attendants do try to persuade pax to use NZ lounge, as you say one needs to insist

SQ F lounge post refurb is very nice, different planet from NZ J lounge ^
LH and TG FCL in their hubs are specifically excluded on the *A website.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by travelislife
LH and TG FCL in their hubs are specifically excluded on the *A website.
the official exclusions are actually LH F in FRA and MUC, LX F in ZRH and GVA, OS F in VIE
TG excludes Spa access for other *A F passengers but access to FCL is given.

I wonder that SQ F in Singapore is not mentioned. Have other *A F really access there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.