Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Question on UA crediting miles to TG account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RVT 1K

Hey all, just want to be sure I don't screw up, two of my Thai friends want to earn status miles to maintain *G, they are TG ROP fliers but want to book the UA BKK-LAX flight (JV ANA flight BKK-NRT). This will earn miles in any booking class since UA is the issuing airline correct?

I know many economy classes on TG do not award miles for status or redemption, but they should be ok with S class or similar when it is all UA metal?

Thanks!!
Old May 21, 2014, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
I know many economy classes on TG do not award miles for status or redemption, but they should be ok with S class or similar when it is all UA metal?
There is no UA metal in or out of BKK.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
If I understand this correctly they want to fly UA but credit to TG. In that case they need to follow the fare class listing at http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...odes-chart.htm

The S fare won't work though. They would also need to be very careful with the code share fare class on ANA.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no UA metal in or out of BKK.
I know, that is why I mentioned the ANA JV flight to / from BKK -NRT, I think like UA flyers that this will credit just like a UA flight, but more importantly wondering about rest of UA metal flights crediting to TG ROP.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If I understand this correctly they want to fly UA but credit to TG. In that case they need to follow the fare class listing at http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...odes-chart.htm

The S fare won't work though. They would also need to be very careful with the code share fare class on ANA.
Correct book and fly on UA, but credit to TG....I thought it was the airline that issued the miles that determines what class awards miles??
Old May 21, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Correct book and fly on UA, but credit to TG....I thought it was the airline that issued the miles that determines what class awards miles??
It comes down to the fare class of the operating carrier.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

So if all flights are booked on UA.com and operated by UA, save the ANA flight any fare cheaper fare class should credit to TG?
Old May 22, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You need to check the TG earnings chart: here.

An S fare on a UA operated flight will earn zero. An S fare on an NH operated flight will earn 50%.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Ok cool, thanks guys!!
Old May 22, 2014, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You need to check the TG earnings chart: here.

An S fare on a UA operated flight will earn zero. An S fare on an NH operated flight will earn 50%.
I linked to the chart earlier but I'm not sure it was understood.

Also, the NH side of things potentially leaves a bit to be desired since the booking will be with UA but has it been established that UA's codes map over directly to NH's? This wouldn't matter if accruing to UA but it certainly might when putting those miles into ROP.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I linked to the chart earlier but I'm not sure it was understood.
Agreed. We do what we can.

Also, the NH side of things potentially leaves a bit to be desired since the booking will be with UA but has it been established that UA's codes map over directly to NH's? This wouldn't matter if accruing to UA but it certainly might when putting those miles into ROP.
It should map across on these through-fares due to the joint venture. But something to check carefully when the ticket is issued if the earning is important. UA's 24 hour cancelation policy would apply.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:35 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Apologies for bringing this thread back and for having been missing from the forum for a while.

While the UA fare classes are now mostly fairly credited on TG ROP, the problem remains on UA tickets operated by ANA, no such transparency provided/available anywhere when crediting those flights to TG ROP. I hope some of us here have encountered those credited flights and I would like to ask if it is possible for us to share our recent experience on those flight postings.

I am myself about to fly on UA/ANA (UA ticket 016) after 3 yrs and have a bad feeling there will be significant differences between UA fare class vs ANA fare class and really need this trip to retain TG Gold status. I will definitely share my experience once those flights are posted after the trip.

I asked TG ROP via email for clarification on UA fare class (R) vs to-be-posted ANA class, no answers after multiple attempts. Tried to call but they would not transfer to ROP, I will have to go to their head office if I want to speak to someone.
  • I anticipate that UA R class (ANA operated) which earns 100% on ROP will potentially be posted as ANA N class which earns 0%. The logic is never clear to any of us why ANA Premium Economy class (N) would earn 0%.
  • My ticket also has a UA K class flight on ANA, I am not sure what equivalent ANA class TG will post.
Thank you for sharing any insight on the above (and or any other fare classes).
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:45 am

Does this help? https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...rAlliance.page

Click on the appropriate airline logo to see the mileage earnings. No guarantee it's up to date, or won't change later.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:30 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by 11277m
Does this help? https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ro...rAlliance.page

Click on the appropriate airline logo to see the mileage earnings. No guarantee it's up to date, or won't change later.
Thank you 1127m, this reference is for each *A airline's fare classes operating on its own, but not when flights are ticketed by one airline but operated by another *A airline. TG ROP posts the code shared fare classes equivalent between TG and ANA, but there is no information available between UA tickets on ANA flights.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
It won’t help I suspect, but if retaining TG*G is a priority is it worthwhile (to you) to buy a fare where you better assured of mileage earning?

If you are still BKK based then a ‘local’ mileage run might be in order?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.