Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Free Layover Policy .. Is award ticket eligible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I am thinking of flying from LAX to BOM via BKK on an award ticket. The issue is a 20 hr layover in BKK. I read the policy for free layover on thai airways website. Would I be eligible for it using an award ticket ? Has anyone availed this facility ?

I am also *A Gold

TIA

Any information is appreciated
Old May 18, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
This footnote
*Free hotel accommodation is provided for passengers issuing tickets at certain level.
from the link you provided may play crucial role. I do not have experience with TG, but LH did provide me with free layover hotel in BKK when on business class award connecting from LH to TG and having 15+ hours in BKK...
IMHO, award tickets should be treated the same as revenue, so as I said the footnote might be important depending on your award class...
Old May 18, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Well do you satisfy all the requirements?

-Both flights have to be international.
-Both flights with involuntary stopover (less than 6 hours but over 24 hours) are Thai Airways flights.
-Stopover is involuntary if for passenger’s onward flight no connection flight on same day.
-Request for free night stay should be made not later than 72 hours before departure from Moscow.
The bolded seem either 1) impossible or 2) not likely.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
there is no free stopover accom on award tickets with TG
Old May 19, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
there is no free stopover accom on award tickets with TG
Can we sleep in the lounge .. if there is no free stopover ?
Old May 19, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No, the TG lounges will close when the last flights for Europe have left at 1AM. Open again at 5AM.

Book a room at one of the many airport hotels. I suggest the following:
Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi, which is very good. Rooms should be around USD 25 but have a look on Agoda. It is landside, so you have to go through customs/immigration.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
You can get a hotel nearby for about USD$30.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SK AAR
No, the TG lounges will close when the last flights for Europe have left at 1AM. Open again at 5AM.

Book a room at one of the many airport hotels. I suggest the following:
Thong Ta Resort Suvarnabhumi, which is very good. Rooms should be around USD 25 but have a look on Agoda. It is landside, so you have to go through customs/immigration.
I'd agree if this was a short layover but OP mentioned a 20 hour layover so heading into town is a much better option. However, if OP is an India national then the scenario might be a bit more complicated and require a visa on arrival rather than the easy visa exemption process. And AoT will likely also assess the 700B departure tax.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Well do you satisfy all the requirements?

The bolded seem either 1) impossible or 2) not likely.
Thai cancelled a flight and put me on a missconnect ( yes another flight where the connecting flight took off before I landed!)and when i called to get a flight that DID connet it was 22 hr layover ,they said i would have to pay for my own accommodation . i was on a first class award. they didnt give a s--t.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by aussielori
Thai cancelled a flight and put me on a missconnect ( yes another flight where the connecting flight took off before I landed!)and when i called to get a flight that DID connet it was 22 hr layover ,they said i would have to pay for my own accommodation . i was on a first class award. they didnt give a s--t.

yes well they don't offer hotels on award tickets, so that's to be expected. You can't have it all can you? They are the world's most generous airline with F awards after all
Old May 20, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I don't expect a layover if I choose to miss connect but I didn't they changed the booking 9 mths after ticketing and didn't even tell me then left me stranded at the airport for 23 hrs
As far as generous F tickets. Try to find one in the next 3mths they are almost invisible on the oz to Europe run.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Is this still available ?
Would have a 9,5h layover.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:00 pm

If i had a 22 hour layover in Bangkok I would simply jump in a taxi and spend the day in Bangkok. Bangkok have many hotels at resonnable prices so just treat it as a bonus and explore the city.

But i always plan a stopover when i fly in and out of Bangkok last in June where i had 15 hours between 2 flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.