Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Anti-Government Protestors Announce State Enterprise Strike 22 May - Effects on TG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anti-Government Protestors Announce State Enterprise Strike 22 May - Effects on TG?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
These politicians are really not doing any favour to Thailand's economy with these protests and work stoppages.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
looks like the strike is called off after martial law was introduced...
Old May 21, 2014, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think some THAI staff were being encouraged to use sick days in sympathy for other government workers in a potential strike, to support the "final, final, final, final, absolutely last push", but this was prior to the declaration (not by Royal Proclamation which is interesting) of Martial Law. There are some anti-government marches planned for Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon, so some people may take time off from work to participate in these, so maybe leave some extra time to get to the airport on those days.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tha...eave-may-22-26

The BMTA (Bangkok Bus) and SRT (State Railway) employees are expected to work.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...L5705190010010

Last edited by transpac; May 21, 2014 at 12:30 am
Old May 21, 2014, 3:59 am

there were so many anti-government marches during last couple of months, sometimes daily, sometimes several at one day and airport/Thai carriers were never affected...
Old May 21, 2014, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
there were so many anti-government marches during last couple of months, sometimes daily, sometimes several at one day and airport/Thai carriers were never affected...
Agreed. However the anti-government protesters have stated that Thu or Fri through Monday will be their final push, calling for at least a million people - yes, I understand that is optimistic, but maybe better to be safe by giving yourself some extra time, if traveling to the airport, for this brief period?

From the PDRC Facebook page
(unofficial translation/summary)
Friday 23 May
17.00 hrs. Fill up Sukhumvit road.
18.00 hrs. National Anthem followed by whistle-blowing
21.00 hrs. Departure
Repeat on Saturday 24 May and Sunday 25 May
Monday 26 May: head directly to Sanam Luang
We shall announce that sovereign authority has been reclaimed by the people of Thailand. We must assemble in the millions to demonstrate to them that this is not just an old Kamnan by himself. We can no gather without fear as CAPO police have all been sent back home. CAPO is gone.
The other day CAPO attempted to send units in to capture me and arrest our efforts. However, the imposition of Martial Law has resulted in the termination of CAPO. Only PDRC core leader Lookmee (Chumpol Julsai) is disappointed because he had volunteered to surround CAPO. Don't worry, we will find another task for you.
We can now assemble without fear. The military won't attack our peaceful gathering; rather, they are here to protect us. We should therefore embrace Martial Law. The remaining police units no longer take orders from CAPO.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
they will never get a million people
Old May 21, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
they will never get a million people
they will also count the ones watching it on TV and whistling at home
Old May 21, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's what I'd do.

Good luck. Hope the BKK connection works out for you.
I ended up cancelling my KA/CX ticket during the afternoon of Wednesday the 21st upon following the news, Twitter and of course, this thread. I'm happily ensconced in the TG Royal First Lounge right now and nothing airside at BKK betrays the fact that the country is under martial law.

Once again, thanks to all here for the reassurance and advice. ^
Old May 21, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I ended up cancelling my KA/CX ticket during the afternoon of Wednesday the 21st upon following the news, Twitter and of course, this thread. I'm happily ensconced in the TG Royal First Lounge right now and nothing airside at BKK betrays the fact that the country is under martial law.

Once again, thanks to all here for the reassurance and advice. ^
I'm sitting in the PG Blue Ribbon lounge right around the corner from you and agree it's business as usual airside and streetside. Immigration was a breeze as well. Everything appears like low season used to be - empty.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:10 am

yeah, arrived this morning in BKK and everything as usual inside airport and outside...
Old May 22, 2014, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I'm happily ensconced in the TG Royal First Lounge right now and nothing airside at BKK betrays the fact that the country is under martial law.
^^

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Everything appears like low season used to be - empty.
Now if only Shangri-La would cut its rates for my trip next week . . . .
Old May 22, 2014, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
From Bangkok Post:

Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, the army chief, has declared a coup to prevent further loss of life and prevent the conflict from further escalating.

The Peace and Order Maintaining Command (POMC) has now seized power from the caretaker government, Gen Prayuth announced on national television.

It is the 12th military coup d'etat in Thailand since 1932.

That's all i can find right now.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
From Bangkok Post:

Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, the army chief, has declared a coup to prevent further loss of life and prevent the conflict from further escalating.

The Peace and Order Maintaining Command (POMC) has now seized power from the caretaker government, Gen Prayuth announced on national television.

It is the 12th military coup d'etat in Thailand since 1932.

That's all i can find right now.
and they have taken all the leaders of the red and yellow shirts to a undisclosed location after several meetings failed to get some common sense
history repeats itself
Old May 23, 2014, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TPJ
I noticed that Chinese/Vietnamese airlines canceled quite a few flights to China & Vietnam, respectively (really - martial state bothers visitors from these countries) No military presence at all (neither at the airport not in the part of the city I stay in).
I am sure that many potential visitors have determined that they don't wish to visit Thailand given the current situation, which includes a 10 p.m. curfew, reports of vehicle stops to check papers, a media shut-down, and limitations on internet access.

It's certainly caused me to book an entirely different itinerary for next week. Who wants to deal with all that stuff while on vacation?

I sure hope things get back to normal quickly. The impact on the Thai economy, and the many people who rely on tourist spending, is going to be absolutely brutal.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The impact on the Thai economy, and the many people who rely on tourist spending, is going to be absolutely brutal.
at least better than a civil war.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.