TG Removing Metal Cutlery From Planes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
TG Removing Metal Cutlery From Planes

Per the Bangkok Post (with a H/T to @RichardBarrow who tweeted it out):

THAI Airways International (THAI) is trialling the use of plastic cutlery during in-flight meal services after the airline’s regular stainless steel flatware was used in a mid-flight brawl earlier this...

...The airline’s Company Safety Committee (CSC) is considering phasing out the metallic cutlery on all of the airline’s routes, he added.
Full story here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...al-after-brawl

Last edited by Duke787; Apr 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm Reason: title updated by mods
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:40 pm

From my experience, TG replaced metal cutlery with plastic in economy months ago, about the same time that they switched from the ceramic main course dish to cheap, disposable aluminium ones.

But does this mean they will be switching to plastic in C as well?

Rationalising this based on that single Chinese brawl on a TG flight, this seems more like an excuse to justify further cost-cutting in passenger service.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: ROP
This is gonna sux. One of the few nice things left on TG is going away.
How about flight attendants taking physical charge of the situation instead of just standing there and watch.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
I wouldn't be surprised, TG are so utterly cheap these days. Myself and many others have had C class meals in aluminium foil trays before.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
no plastic cutlery in C and F for sure! TG ain't so stupid!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: TG*Gold
I think the era of high star airline is finished in Thai airways. If this is true i will not help them, giving my vote on next SkyTrax competition.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by tookay
From my experience, TG replaced metal cutlery with plastic in economy months ago, about the same time that they switched from the ceramic main course dish to cheap, disposable aluminium ones.

Rationalising this based on that single Chinese brawl on a TG flight, this seems more like an excuse to justify further cost-cutting in passenger service.
I have been flying 9 TG flights from Jan to mid April - a pair of flight each month roughly (last flight was 14-April) and I did not recall that the meal served with plastic cutlery....
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
well the article mentions it is a trial, so it will probably be only on select flights... for now
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:33 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by tookay

Not sure what routes you fly. I flew BKK-SIN today and had metal cutlery and ceramic dishes in Y.

As for the brawl.... I've never seen a brawl on any of my flights, ever, anywhere.... is this common in/to/from China?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
no brawls are NOT common in/to/from China. I fly 5-6 times to China per year including some domestic but I have never seen any

another report says that TG introduced plastic cutlery already on the flight to LAX and will probably to the flights to China.
not sure whether this is only for Y or for all classes...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
OT, but the article also states: "Mr Chokchai also revealed that THAI was expected to finalise an agreement to procure new Airbus A300-600 planes within the next two months".

Didn't realize that the venerable A300 had been resurrected...

I'm guessing they meant the 346?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by scnzzz
OT, but the article also states: "Mr Chokchai also revealed that THAI was expected to finalise an agreement to procure new Airbus A300-600 planes within the next two months".

Didn't realize that the venerable A300 had been resurrected...

I'm guessing they meant the 346?
Why on earth would they buy 346s? There's no scheduled deliveries, and unless Airbus is handing out killer deals, makes no sense to buy a four-banger when you can get a Boeing 777 and save the fuel costs for two engines...

Maybe this was supposed to be a mention of the A300s going out of service?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: CX SL
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Not sure what routes you fly. I flew BKK-SIN today and had metal cutlery and ceramic dishes in Y.

As for the brawl.... I've never seen a brawl on any of my flights, ever, anywhere.... is this common in/to/from China?
I lived in Shanghai for years, and took dozens of flights from PVG. I haven't seen any and I was actually shocked when I heard it happened inflight.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Why on earth would they buy 346s? There's no scheduled deliveries, and unless Airbus is handing out killer deals, makes no sense to buy a four-banger when you can get a Boeing 777 and save the fuel costs for two engines...

Maybe this was supposed to be a mention of the A300s going out of service?
All valid points...but the article made a big deal about bringing "new A300-600"s on line. Which makes absolutely no sense. Totally agree that 777s make much more sense...

Senseless as it may seem, the only -600 out there from Airbus that I know of at the moment is the 346?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Plastic utensils can be just as nice as metal utensils, although they can also be cheap and inferior. If people are going to use disposable utensils, I would hope they could be compostable instead of plastic, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.