Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

BKK-PEK involuntary downgraded 747 (3 cabin) to 777 (2 cabin)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-PEK involuntary downgraded 747 (3 cabin) to 777 (2 cabin)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by appaz86
so is this confirmed? I'm booked to fly PEK-BKK in F jan 2015... thinking of changing my route as this being a flight in F, I went out of my way to get it!
2015!! The aircraft on this route could be changed another 25 times between now and then. It is really a gamble, so your choice.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
2015!! The aircraft on this route could be changed another 25 times between now and then. It is really a gamble, so your choice.
yea I'll just leave it and keep fingers crossed, if they don't contact me and it ends up being J then I surely will be able to write a complaint and get some sort of compensation
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by appaz86
yea I'll just leave it and keep fingers crossed, if they don't contact me and it ends up being J then I surely will be able to write a complaint and get some sort of compensation
Well it depends who you bought the ticket through as to who has to notify you. It is the ticketing airline who should notify you so don't bet on any recourse with Thai if you didn't book your ticket through them.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by travelislife
Well it depends who you bought the ticket through as to who has to notify you. It is the ticketing airline who should notify you so don't bet on any recourse with Thai if you didn't book your ticket through them.
booked thru USDM, even united.com is still selling F tickets on the 747 for 2015
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:39 am

I was booked YVR-SFO-PEK-BKK CA F TG F, with TG F downgraded to TG J. I called Aeroplan and got rerouted YVR-MUC-BKK LH new F and TG new F, free of charge.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:03 pm

I'm booked on October 26 TG614- the very first day it shows a 747 again. Is that a real change or have they just not thought that far. I went out of my way to book my last F class trip before UA screeeeeeeewed us all with that mileage devaluation of Star Alliance carriers.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by tadtv
I'm booked on October 26 TG614- the very first day it shows a 747 again. Is that a real change or have they just not thought that far. I went out of my way to book my last F class trip before UA screeeeeeeewed us all with that mileage devaluation of Star Alliance carriers.
October 26 is the first day of the winter schedule. Schedule/equipment changes for Winter 2015 will likely start to appear later.

FYI...TG F service to PEK (as well as PVG) has come and gone several times over the past few years.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:23 pm

Add me to the list. Initially, I was pretty dissapointed since I booked NRT-PEK-BKK (CA F & TG F) just to experience TG F even if it was the 10F product. This is part of a bigger redemption with UA miles.

Thanks to the downgrade I was able to change my flights once OZ loaded their 380 schedules. I am now booked on NRT-ICN-HKG-BKK (OZ F & TG F) which I am very happy with. ICN-HKG is the OZ 380 F suites and HKG-BKK is the 9F product.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Dude
Add me to the list. Initially, I was pretty dissapointed since I booked NRT-PEK-BKK (CA F & TG F) just to experience TG F even if it was the 10F product. This is part of a bigger redemption with UA miles.

Thanks to the downgrade I was able to change my flights once OZ loaded their 380 schedules. I am now booked on NRT-ICN-HKG-BKK (OZ F & TG F) which I am very happy with. ICN-HKG is the OZ 380 F suites and HKG-BKK is the 9F product.
A few years back I had to re-book because of flight cancellations and downgrades, thereafter United would not permit any further changes because I had too many involuntary changes. Had to shell out like 130K more miles. I hope to draft the complaint within the next 60 days if my case load permits. Such a waste of the court's time, my time and United's local legal fees for a matter that should not have happened.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
All I will say is that TG has removed F service from several markets, but hasn't removed it from HKG IIRC... so this is the logical market to "sample" it (especially given that HKG is a pretty good place to connect).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All I will say is that TG has removed F service from several markets, but hasn't removed it from HKG IIRC... so this is the logical market to "sample" it (especially given that HKG is a pretty good place to connect).
I had a couple of time free upgrades from J to F on HKG BKK (if J was overbooked, but unfortunately this is not the case nowadays), but I would never pay or give miles or upgrade vouchers as it is really a short flight to enjoy the luxury of F
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BinSabai
I had a couple of time free upgrades from J to F on HKG BKK (if J was overbooked, but unfortunately this is not the case nowadays), but I would never pay or give miles or upgrade vouchers as it is really a short flight to enjoy the luxury of F
Well, I've seen people pay for full F (about $700-1000 USD) for BKK-HKG on EK, just to take a shower (probably about a $500 premium for that shower and some Dom). A few hours in the TG F lounge, some cart rides, and hour massage, and some Dom for a couple hours? Who's to say you're overpaying miles? It's not like you can take miles to a bank and turn them into cash. If we're talking UA miles pre-February 1, C was 17.5K miles for HKG-BKK, F was 30K miles. F upgrades for domestic USA routes are 15K. They won't serve you Dom on SFO-IAH, though...

And if the alternative is paying miles to "sample TG F" and then having equipment subs on BKK-PEK, BKK-DPS or BKK-NRT (all routes that I have seen people try to fly TG F on, and then have it withdrawn), you tell me: is it worth it to anticipate the Dom, the golf carts and the lounge and then have it taken away? Or is it better to get what you paid miles for, even if it's a 2 hour flight?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've resurrected this thread because we have TG #614 - BKK-PEK booked in first in early November. Our United reservation shows it as "First" on a B777. It showed as a B747 until a couple of weeks ago. However, when I check our booking on the Thai web site, it continues to show it as F on a B747.

I'd like to believe the Thai site is more definitive. Any insight?

Related question: if they sub a B777 and we are downgraded to C/J, will they still recognize/honor our booking class as F for the VIP details at BKK (massage, expedited check-in, etc.)? This was a mileage award and since we will be in UA F from PEK back to the US, there is no expected compensation if downgraded...or should there be?

Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
TG's B777 does not have F (only on B747, A380 and A340-600)

with downgrade to a C/J on a UA award, there is no right to get F treatment, but you might be able to talk your way in the F lounge and get 1 hour massage
check in C/J at BKK is as fast as F and using same fast track security and immigration
for compensation you need to contact UA
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
TG's B777 does not have F (only on B747, A380 and A340-600)

with downgrade to a C/J on a UA award, there is no right to get F treatment, but you might be able to talk your way in the F lounge and get 1 hour massage
check in C/J at BKK is as fast as F and using same fast track security and immigration
for compensation you need to contact UA
Thanks. Knew or assumed all this. I should have been more explicit:

1) Has anyone been on this flight lately who can report the equipment?

2) How reliable is the Thai site? If Thai and United disagree, who would you believe? I'd like to believe the Thai site, but recent experience would trump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.