Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Smiles business class did not make me smile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Smiles business class did not make me smile

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, United 1K, United MM, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Platinum
Angry Thai Smiles business class did not make me smile

Recently I flew from Bangkok to Macau in business class in the new "Thai Smiles" which seems to be a subsidiary of Thai Airways. In the past I have always had a very pleasant experience flying Thai Airways business class as the seats are large and comfortable with outstanding food and service, but this recent flight on Thai Smiles was appalling as I felt like I was flying economy on a US airline.

The seats in the business class section are exactly the same as the seats in economy. There might be a couple of more inches between my seat and the seat in front of me, but I could not be sure. Even if there was more leg room, my knees were still stuck in the seat in front of me.

It was about a 3 hour international flight and there was not any kind of entertainment system. Even the economy seats in US based domestic airlines seem to still offer free headsets so we could listen to music, but this business class did not offer anything. The meal offered was similar to something you would get in a normal economy section of other airlines. I asked the flight attendant what was the difference between the economy section and the business section and she said the food was better. I could only imagine what the poor people in economy were getting for this 3 hour international flight.

To sum it up, I found it disgusting and appalling that Thai Airways has the gull to call this section of an aircraft business class. Basically I felt cheated. I checked my itinerary and the only indication I had that I was not going to be flying a normal Thai Airways flight was the flight number had 4 digits, one more than the other Thai Airways flights. I’m sure Thai Airways will be saving more money in the short run by offering this severe downgrading of service, but in the long run they will suffer as I cannot see any reasonable person ever taking this aircraft a second time if alternative carriers fly the same routes.

I booked this business class flight on the United Airlines website. Should I complain to United as it degrades the Star Alliance experience? After arriving in Macau, I took a connecting flight on Eva Airlines to Taipei and had a wonderful experience traveling business class the way it should be.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
You've apparently never flown LH intra-Europe.

Nor have you experienced C on TG's 734s.

Finally, while I agree that the TG is subpar for a C seat, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Having noticed a TG 2xxx flight number why didn't you investigate further?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Thai Smile is featured and promoted as a low-cost product!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
so what was the price difference between economy and business on this Thai Smile flight?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by BinSabai
so what was the price difference between economy and business on this Thai Smile flight?
The lowest Economy I see in my Sabre Corpo system is USD 84.00 (fare only - not including taxes) and the lowest Business is USD 284.00 (also fare only - not including taxes, either).

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 WLE30ATH W R 81.00 T31MR -/‡ -/ 21 EH01
21 JRTTH J R 284.00 T31MR - -/12M EH01
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Siambob
Recently I flew from Bangkok to Macau in business class in the new "Thai Smiles" which seems to be a subsidiary of Thai Airways. In the past I have always had a very pleasant experience flying Thai Airways business class as the seats are large and comfortable with outstanding food and service, but this recent flight on Thai Smiles was appalling as I felt like I was flying economy on a US airline.

The seats in the business class section are exactly the same as the seats in economy. There might be a couple of more inches between my seat and the seat in front of me, but I could not be sure. Even if there was more leg room, my knees were still stuck in the seat in front of me.

It was about a 3 hour international flight and there was not any kind of entertainment system. Even the economy seats in US based domestic airlines seem to still offer free headsets so we could listen to music, but this business class did not offer anything. The meal offered was similar to something you would get in a normal economy section of other airlines. I asked the flight attendant what was the difference between the economy section and the business section and she said the food was better. I could only imagine what the poor people in economy were getting for this 3 hour international flight.

To sum it up, I found it disgusting and appalling that Thai Airways has the gull to call this section of an aircraft business class. Basically I felt cheated. I checked my itinerary and the only indication I had that I was not going to be flying a normal Thai Airways flight was the flight number had 4 digits, one more than the other Thai Airways flights. I’m sure Thai Airways will be saving more money in the short run by offering this severe downgrading of service, but in the long run they will suffer as I cannot see any reasonable person ever taking this aircraft a second time if alternative carriers fly the same routes.

I booked this business class flight on the United Airlines website. Should I complain to United as it degrades the Star Alliance experience? After arriving in Macau, I took a connecting flight on Eva Airlines to Taipei and had a wonderful experience traveling business class the way it should be.
Let me guess, award booking?

Apparently they didn't know who you were and forgot to substitute in the Airbus 380. Well, at least you know better. Safe travels.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
You are right to feel cheated, IMHO.

This "Business Class" is actually very easy to spot - just don't book any flights on TG A320 and you are safe. Those planes are operated by Thai Smile and feature EU-style C product, which is indeed a disgrace.

TG lost my business on some routes when they started to operate those with Thai Smile, since I do not appreciate Y seat being sold to me for C price.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
As a LH flyer I expect champagne and fireworks on my J (Y dressed) seat in the upcoming TG CMB-BKK. Our back cannot be taken aback any more than that .
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You've apparently never flown LH intra-Europe.

Nor have you experienced C on TG's 734s.

Finally, while I agree that the TG is subpar for a C seat, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Having noticed a TG 2xxx flight number why didn't you investigate further?
I quite like the meals (snacks, really) served by LH intra-Europe in C. They do it about the best., even flying CGN-FRA in 20 minutes you will have your wine refilled twice!

Back to topic, Does Thai Smile block the adjacent or middle seat as LH does? I find that really helps. I can see that this length of flight could make a difference, from north Africa you can get a single aisle Airbus in all Y config with the middle seat blocked for your business cabin or a proper one on an A330.

At any rate, if you are comfortable and not too crowded, you have done well! That is my benchmark.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Siambob
I am still puzzling since you are booking with UA miles, there are tons of option between BKK and TPE, you can do TPE-HKG-BKK or simply take BR nonstop BKK-TPE !

Was it you intentionally book it like that so that you can have a stopover in Macau ? Other than that I have heard no one book a routing like yours, as there is only one sad subpar 3rd party operated lounge at MFM, compare to 3 gorgeous lounges in HKG. Not to mention both BKK-HKG-TPE and BKK-TPE are only using widbodies.

You should already know what's the seating difference between a narrowbody and widbody even for the US airlines. There is no difference when it come to asian carriers.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I recently flew Thai Smile from BKK to KBV. It was clear from the website booking page that this was a Thai Smile flight. I was fine with the seat and service for this one hour flight. The food (cold plate) was actually pretty tasty.

I would probably feel differently about the three-hour flight to HKG. Particularly since the discount from regular TG J to Thai Smile J is not as great as it should be.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Yep, I fly BKK-UTH-BKK several times/year, no longer paying business fare, tus cattle class now.
And yes they block the middle seat, still won't fly C with a smile.

Flying UTH-BKK on Nok a few hours from now.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I quite like the meals (snacks, really) served by LH intra-Europe in C. They do it about the best., even flying CGN-FRA in 20 minutes you will have your wine refilled twice!
I dont know what you are talking about. There are no LH flights CGN-FRA - for quite a number of years.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: most of them
I was cheated by Thai Smile once too. Lesson learned.

But I agree that if you were going to TPE there should have been more options, no? Even TG flies non-stop to TPE. Pretty sure it's an A330. That's blaming the victim though.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, United 1K, United MM, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Platinum
I posted the original post for this topic about Thai Smile not making me smile.

Thanks for the many replies and I suppose I should take some of the blame by not doing enough research about the true nature of Thai Smile flights, but I had a level of trust in Thai Airways that they would not seriously degrade their level of service. I was wrong and I accept the responsibility.

Some of the repies seemed to miss the point that I was trying to make in my original post. My point was that the seat I obtained was classified as "Business Class"; however, there was nothing about the seating section that could be called business. It was an economy seat with economy service, but marketed as business. It was an economy seat with economy service that they are calling business class. That was my point.

Comments about me being able to take more direct routes are missing the point. I was attempting to warn others who might also be fooled into purchasing one of these Thai Airways tickets hoping to have a business class experience. It won't happen!

Last edited by Siambob; Jan 11, 2014 at 1:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.