Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I caught the big lines in January. Departure immigration was a nightmarish hell back then. I've gone through there probably close to a hundred times and never saw anything like the January mess before. That was a disaster. It was REALLY bad.

OTOH, this week. Arrival, I walked up to an empty agent and was in front of the airport getting in a taxi within less than 10 minutes of stepping off the plane and most of that 10 minutes was walking time. Departure, there was one guy in front of me in line. Maybe it's just a low season thing but in any case in January their was HUGE problem. Now there was not. YMMV.
From December until March it was bad, but since April I travelled to BKK 4 times and never had to wait in or out more than 5 Minutes. Ironically the Sheraton Grande started to offer Fast Track immigration vouchers as Spg Platinum gift. Now I have a pile of those vouchers and don't need them anymore.
S
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
From December until March it was bad, but since April I travelled to BKK 4 times and never had to wait in or out more than 5 Minutes. Ironically the Sheraton Grande started to offer Fast Track immigration vouchers as Spg Platinum gift. Now I have a pile of those vouchers and don't need them anymore.
S
I don't want to seem to pessimistic, but you may well need them next December to March. I don't think anything has been solved. And the immigration "enhancements" reported by dsquared37 may well cause even more delays. So, don't throw the vouchers away just yet .
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Was at BKK last night around 6:30PM and everything was ridiculously crowded. I don't know if this is the time for flights to middle eastern locales or if the initial travel for hajj has begun.

I was staying but my better half reported very long foreigner lines at exit immigration. Half of the eastern immigration section is now under construction and lines were considerably backed up due to this.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Perhaps the AOT approved B163bn Suvarnabhumi expansion will solve some of the problems??

BKK should be able to handle 103 million passengers by 2024...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...port-expansion

But as most projects in Thailand, I´ll belive it when I see it
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Arrived on Sat, Aug 6 around 10:45am from SIN on SQ and immigration in the centre hall was packed with all lines 20-30 people deep. Even the F& C Fastrack lanes that I used took about 15-20min to clear, but then the guy I had was really in no hurry at all calmly flipping through each of my 47 out of 48 filled passport pages and pausing here and there before moving to stamping and processing.

On the return last night (Aug 11) I flew TG C and the dedicated fastrack security and immigration is just plain brilliant. This was the day before the public holiday today (Aug 12 - Queens birthday) and loads of people were traveling. Couldn't see regular immigration but a colleague who flew out said it took him about 45-50mins to clear. Autsch.

Last edited by demue; Aug 16, 2011 at 12:10 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My son flew from Europe last week with his young kids for summer vacation in Ko Samui. Said that immigration lines upon arrival in BKK were horrific. The officers seemed to be working as slow as possible. Bad first impression of Thailand. Bad way to start a vacation
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
A data point:

Wheels down last night on UA837 at 10:25pm. At E gates at 10:30pm.
Walked fast (seated in Y on a full 744 so had to make up time). Got to immigration at 10:39pm - no lines.

Managed to catch the 10:51pm (with 30s to spare) City Line train despite pitstops at dutyfree and ATM.

Same experience last trip in June - must be low period or BKK is just not that busy at 10:30pm
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:58 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tide
Same experience last trip in June - must be low period or BKK is just not that busy at 10:30pm
Even during winter high season at BKK, the crush at immigration is not constant, and there are definitely lull periods during the day where the queues are short. (One of the nicest things about my most commonly-used TG flights BKK-PEK and PEK-BKK are that the timings hit those slow Immy periods.)
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:07 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by tide
A data point:

Wheels down last night on UA837 at 10:25pm. At E gates at 10:30pm.
Walked fast (seated in Y on a full 744 so had to make up time). Got to immigration at 10:39pm - no lines.

Managed to catch the 10:51pm (with 30s to spare) City Line train despite pitstops at dutyfree and ATM.

Another data point:

I flew in on NH 915, getting in around 10 pm on Tuesday. Immigration took 45 minutes after I got there from the gate. Immigration officers didn't seem to care, and there were some standing around to one side, and after probably 30 minutes two of them went and opened new lines.

Although there are busy and less busy times, it seems pretty random overall, but expecting a long wait isn't unreasonable. Maybe going to the other immigration point would have helped, but again, no way to know, unlike the video monitors for the exit immigration lines.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by bpe
Another data point:

I flew in on NH 915, getting in around 10 pm on Tuesday. Immigration took 45 minutes after I got there from the gate. Immigration officers didn't seem to care, and there were some standing around to one side, and after probably 30 minutes two of them went and opened new lines.

Although there are busy and less busy times, it seems pretty random overall, but expecting a long wait isn't unreasonable. Maybe going to the other immigration point would have helped, but again, no way to know, unlike the video monitors for the exit immigration lines.
Ouch. Seems a painful experience.

I fly ex US-BKK 2-3x a year. Always on either UA or NH. What I usually do (and I do not know if it really works but so far so good) is this.

At NRT I check the arrival info for BKK for hours 2200 to 2300 (that's when UA837 and NH915 get in):
http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/f...arrival_en.php

I don't bother looking at equipment, I just see if flights are long-haul or short.

I take exit gate B to mean arrival at the ABC pier and exit gate C, the EFG pier. Depending on the skew, I decide which immigration point to use, all this while at NRT.

Again, gates do get changed around, flights get delayed/or early, loads unpredictable etc and I don't know if the system I use even makes sense but at least it's a plan.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:06 am
SKL

Has anyone heard whether the e-passport readers that are supposed to come into operation is still on target for end of 2011? I hear that it is only for Thai passports first, the extending to other categories later.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SKL
Has anyone heard whether the e-passport readers that are supposed to come into operation is still on target for end of 2011? I hear that it is only for Thai passports first, the extending to other categories later.
Have not heard or read anything like that, but if true it sure would be great news. Automated machines has to be faster than the Thai no smile squad!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:14 pm
SKL

http://pattaya-times.com/a7294-bangk...-e-pass-system

This is what I found- not sure if any new development (or lack of) has come along.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: A Few
Arrival at 14:30 from HKG on Aug 14...no more than 2 people in any line. Kept my fast track pass for another time.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:55 pm

Arrived on Air Berlin on Monday the 15th of August at 9.30 am. We were in J so got fast track and staff member to guide us from plane to limousine, but immigration (inbound Y) was horrific. Both halls packed to the rafters with lots of unused counters.... Not sure how long it took people to get through but by the time we had our luggage there were not many other passengers from the flight at the luggage belt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.