Search

Help with MEL-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
Help with MEL-LAX

Hey guys,

I need to get MEL to LAX end of July, start of August. The UA fares are fantasticly cheap at the moment, even J for 5000AUD is a great deal. BUT I need to go via BKK.

Two, questions.

1. Anybody done this before? On the website a Y return MEL-LAX comes in at 5500AUD. Far too much. I can get a Q class MEL-BKK for 1000, then a PE ticket for another 2300AUD BKK-LAX. Does anybody know if TG Austalia will be able to help me with booking this on one PNR or will I have to book it seperaty. Im in Norway at the moment so avoiding the call to Australia.

2. Assuming it was on the one PNR, do you think TG would allow me to GUP it? Or is it too much. I know you can do DXB-BKK-LAX GUP.

Cheers,
AB
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Answer to 2. Presumably, if you can use the online engine to book it or redeem it using miles, you can also GUP it if on the one PNR. From THAI site this certainly seems feasible, although the base Q fare might be expensive as you have discovered (if wanting to GUP Q to J):

Destinations from 12,501-15,000 miles:
Between USA and Australia, New Zealand, Europe, South Africa
I'd call THAI in MEL, use a calling card, or splash out - compared to what you'll save......it'll be worth it.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi, I think it is doable too, but doesn't seem a good use of the GUP from MEL, you can buy a C ticket ex BKK for four and a half. Why not put your existing BKK-MEL on hold when you arrive in Bangkok now and redate to coincide with the LAX return.

Buy a cheapie BKK-MEL-BKK available on the website at the moment, I think it is 2500 in business, a grand in economy, could be wrong , but I have lost this message three times by flipping back and forth and I am not going to type again.

This will get you home from Norway and back into Bangkok

Buy an economy BKK-LAX return for AU$1975 BKK-LAX return and apply GUP into business class.

Cost would be the same. Incidently we have a new Prime Minister and it is freezing cold in Melbourne, worst winter for decades too damm cold for me!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi, I think it is doable too, but doesn't seem a good use of the GUP from MEL, you can buy a C ticket ex BKK for four and a half. Why not put your existing BKK-MEL on hold when you arrive in Bangkok now and redate to coincide with the LAX return.

Buy a cheapie BKK-MEL-BKK available on the website at the moment, I think it is 2500 in business, a grand in economy, could be wrong , but I have lost this message three times by flipping back and forth and I am not going to type again.

This will get you home from Norway and back into Bangkok

Buy an economy BKK-LAX return for AU$1975 BKK-LAX return and apply GUP into business class.

Cost would be the same. Incidently we have a new Prime Minister and it is freezing cold in Melbourne, worst winter for decades too damm cold for me!
What on earth are you talking about BKKROP? The guy wants to get from MEL to LAX via BKK....

I can answer your question... get a travel agent. I can see a TG fare in SABRE ex-MEL to LAX which may suit you, presumably you want Q class or higher to earn miles? The fare is AUD 2394.00 plus taxes , it allows a stop in BKK in both directions if required. max stay 6 months. PM me if you need further information.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I took it to mean that BKKROP is suggesting 'nesting' a BKK-LAX return in PE (use GUP to C) and re-dating the BKK-MEL section of the (assumed) return from Norway....

...but BKKROP can expand if he wishes!

Cheers, TK
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
Originally Posted by dazz81
What on earth are you talking about BKKROP? The guy wants to get from MEL to LAX via BKK....

I can answer your question... get a travel agent. I can see a TG fare in SABRE ex-MEL to LAX which may suit you, presumably you want Q class or higher to earn miles? The fare is AUD 2394.00 plus taxes , it allows a stop in BKK in both directions if required. max stay 6 months. PM me if you need further information.
Thanks Dazz. Yes, your correct Im trying to get MEL-LAX with a stopover in BKK. Perhaps my original post wasn't that clear.

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,
AB
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
This will be awesome for ROP's, let's call it the milesdazzler. Of course it does get you thinking, imagine if we could tie in Auckland, that will be one trip and nearly GOLD. This will be great for Australians and New Zealanders. Great work dazz
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: United, US Air, BA, Delta, AMR, Virgin American
Taking a detour

I can answer your question... get a travel agent. I can see a TG fare in SABRE ex-MEL to LAX which may suit you, presumably you want Q class or higher to earn miles? The fare is AUD 2394.00 plus taxes , it allows a stop in BKK in both directions if required. max stay 6 months. PM me if you need further information.[/QUOTE]

Pardon me if I'm gate-crashing this thread, but you seem like you know your way around Asia/Pacific. My husband and I are going on our belated honeymoon from Washington DC (IAD) to Auckland (AKL) in November, and planning to stop over for a day in Sydney (SYD) on our return to visit a friend I haven't seen in nearly 30 years. I have three weeks vacation, and we were thinking of departing Nov. 3 and returning Nov. 27 to SYD and Nov. 28 to Washington, but are flexible about the dates. Could I ask your help in getting the best fares?

Thank you so much, Vineeta
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by vintyma
Pardon me if I'm gate-crashing this thread, but you seem like you know your way around Asia/Pacific. My husband and I are going on our belated honeymoon from Washington DC (IAD) to Auckland (AKL) in November, and planning to stop over for a day in Sydney (SYD) on our return to visit a friend I haven't seen in nearly 30 years. I have three weeks vacation, and we were thinking of departing Nov. 3 and returning Nov. 27 to SYD and Nov. 28 to Washington, but are flexible about the dates. Could I ask your help in getting the best fares?
This hardly is the right thread and forum for you, sorry. You surely do not want to go via BKK from IAD-AKL, do you? Are you having any airline preferences? If so, you´ll better off asking in the respective forums. Good luck.

F.R.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
This hardly is the right thread and forum for you, sorry. You surely do not want to go via BKK from IAD-AKL, do you? Are you having any airline preferences? If so, you´ll better off asking in the respective forums. Good luck.

F.R.
agreed, plus it would be best if you spoke to a local agent who has access to the best fares from your city.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The Sabre fare is inaccurate as it shows a normal MPM fare from MEL via Pacific direct to LAX. It does not allow you to reroute via BKK.

Your best bet is as dazz81 says.. go see a travel agent in Melbourne. They have special negotiated fares with TG possibly of Oz to LAX via BKK not visible on airlines' CRSs.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:21 pm

Unhappy

F.R.
Sorry about that. Nope, we don't want to go via BKK from IAD-AKL. We don't have any airline preferences. I did post on a couple of other forums as well, but haven't heard from anyone.

Vineeta
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:28 pm

Best deals from Washington to Auckland

agreed, plus it would be best if you spoke to a local agent who has access to the best fares from your city.
Thanks. I guess we just haven't found the right travel agent. We always seem to have better luck online.

Vineeta
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by vintyma
Sorry about that. Nope, we don't want to go via BKK from IAD-AKL. We don't have any airline preferences. I did post on a couple of other forums as well, but haven't heard from anyone.
This is referred to as cross-posting and not all too favoured here on FT. Nevermind, I hope you get your answer soon.

F.R.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:23 pm

Unhappy

This is referred to as cross-posting and not all too favoured here on FT. Nevermind, I hope you get your answer soon.

F.R.
Oh dear. I'm awfully sorry about that. I'm still pretty new to FT, although I signed up for it several years ago, and didn't realize that. Now I know better.
Vineeta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.