Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview with TG President - BKK Post

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Interview with TG President - BKK Post

This article is in today's Bangkok Post.

THAI hatches 'immunity' drive

President vows end to unhealthy influence

Writers: Amornrat Mahitthirook, Saritdet Marukatat and Soonruth Bunyamanee

Published: 1/02/2010 at 12:00 AM

Thai Airways International's new president wants to inject what he calls an "immune system" into the organisation, to stop outsiders taking advantage.
Piyasvasti Amranand says he will need to bring staff on side to fight off what he calls the influence of interfering politicians and greedy executives.

THAI would never live up to its slogan, Smooth as Silk, unless politicians gave management a free hand as they attempt to recover the airline's former prestige.

It was once one of the best airlines in the world, Mr Piyasvasti said.

The national flag carrier has been plagued by political interference, from the purchasing process to appointments of top executives, many of whom lost their jobs upon changes of government, he said.

Mr Piyasvasti himself came to THAI in October with strong backing from the Democrat Party.

The Democrats control the Finance Ministry, which is the major shareholder in the firm, and the Bhumjaithai Party is responsible for the Transport Ministry, which oversees the airline.

The THAI president said he had no problems in dealing with Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij and Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum.

But the national flag carrier, not him, needs to increase its strength to shield itself from politicians trying to reap benefits and vested interests from the organisation.

"It all depends on how well THAI staff fend off interference by politicians," he said.

That was still possible if the 32,000 staff working for the airline were fairly treated, with no favouritism given to particular individuals, including airline executives and even politicians.

"THAI is seen from the outside as a privileged club for some people, and that must end," Mr Piyasvasti said.

The airline is cutting down on perks and privileges for executives and other influential people, including politicians who will no longer be eligible for automatic upgrades of their tickets at the check-in counter.

Their tickets are supposed to be upgraded at the gate subject to seat availability, but this 1992 rule is rarely enforced. Most get automatic upgrades.

The airline is considering cutting the number of free tickets offered to executives by more than half to show that nobody should get special treatment.

Senior officials and executive members now receive up to 15 free tickets a year, while general staff get just two.

No airline in the world offers privileges as generous as those offered to senior managers at THAI, he said.

About 100 staff were moved to inactive posts by Mr Piyasvasti's predecessors.

They could return to their past positions if the airline finds their transfers were unfair.

Excess baggage allowances and other special treatment offered to executives and VIP passengers, such as the use of VIP lounges, would be limited. The measures will go before the board on Feb 26 and will be enforced next month.

They are intended to build a sense of trust and faith among staff that everyone will be fairly treated.

"That will give them the encouragement they need to protect the organisation from outsiders."

Staff cooperated last year when the airline, under financial pressure, said it would have to cut some salaries and withhold bonuses.

That showed their willingness to help the airline in times of trouble, he said.

Mr Piyasvasti took over as airline president in October when it was trying to recover from financial losses caused by the recession. It posted a profit in the last quarter.

He promised to turn around the airline in two years to make it a serious rival to the two biggest carriers in the region, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific Airways.

"This is the best time for Thai Airways to change its direction. We want our rules and regulations to be clear and enforced fairly for all staff.

"I am sure our future can only improve," Mr Piyasvasti said.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:09 pm

LOL! I have to vent some steam out of my system. "Smooth As Silk"? What a joke?

How do you compete when you don't release your flight information to third party booking platform and insist all to book and ticket exclusively through TG?

Today is January 31, 2010 and TG still has not uploaded its 2010/11 winter schedule. One cannot find any TG flight information beyond October 30, 2010 at any third party travel or airline sites, including Star Alliance airlines and TG is not accepting any booking beyond the October 31, 2010 except through its own reservation and ticketing offices.

May be Mr Piyasvasti should start lurking at FT?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I have a feeling he won't last long !
My guess would be he's at half time of his stint as president of TG ...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I have a feeling he won't last long !
My guess would be he's at half time of his stint as president of TG ...
The guy has been consitently talking the talk as far as changing things at TG, but so far he has failed to walk the walk.
My gut feeling is that it's all ........ and that things will never change.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Clipper801

Today is January 31, 2010 and TG still has not uploaded its 2010/11 winter schedule. One cannot find any TG flight information beyond October 30, 2010 at any third party travel or airline sites, including Star Alliance airlines and TG is not accepting any booking beyond the October 31, 2010 except through its own reservation and ticketing offices.?
FYI, What a difference a day makes, you were absolutely correct in what you said, Clipper801, and so many of us agree with you, the November/December flights have been released to us today.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by pansted00
The guy has been consitently talking the talk as far as changing things at TG, but so far he has failed to walk the walk.
My gut feeling is that it's all ........ and that things will never change.
Perhaps we should give him some credit and time? At the very least, he is one who dare to do the talk and hopefully be strong enough to do the walk too... unlike those before him who would not even think of rocking the boat.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
FYI, What a difference a day makes, you were absolutely correct in what you said, Clipper801, and so many of us agree with you, the November/December flights have been released to us today.
My apology for the rant but I feel really frustrated.

There is no reason why the 2010/11 winter schedule should not have been released by now.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Royal Orchid Plus, World Perks
The new TG President is seriously becoming my hero!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Grounded again
Perhaps we should give him some credit and time? At the very least, he is one who dare to do the talk and hopefully be strong enough to do the walk too... unlike those before him who would not even think of rocking the boat.
I might reserve my judgement on this one and agree with you Grounded again... He has indeed stepped up from others in the past. Let's just all hope the talk talk turns into reality for TG and they do indeed revive and emerge as a major global airline, with the image to match!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:52 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Grounded again
Totally agree. In fact, IMHO, he has guts! The guy has to be given a chance to deliver though - these things certainly do not happen in quick-time, especially in Thailand, it seems. The first step towards recovery is to accept that there is indeed a problem. He has done this. The next step is to get some changes initiated, formally. He is doing this. Obviously, in the final analysis, results count. But for those that write him off after such a short tenure...I wouldn't bet on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.