Wiki Posts
Search

Is Dallas for me?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I don't care much for arts/music/opera or anything rich a-holes would refer to as "the finer things in life". I also do not care much for hiking. But I do love good food - everything from bbq to fancy gastromolecular cuisines. What I also love is traveling. How is the airfare out of DFW/DAL for weekend get aways? DC, surprisingly, is not as cheap as I thought even with the competition of three airports. Weekend get aways to NY/BOS is about $350, Miami usually $500+, Atlanta usually ~$500, etc. Is that the standard price now for short haul domestic F? In terms of long haul, I go to Asia for vacations. I imagine in a few years miles will be useless, or at least impossible to amass for someone who does not travel for work. In NY there are often good business fares to Asia for <$3500, what about from DFW? Actually the last one doesn't matter since I still have enough miles to last me two more years, maybe by that time I'll be ready to move again.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 4, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I don't care much for arts/music/opera or anything rich a-holes would refer to as "the finer things in live". I also do not care much for hiking. But I do love good food - everything from bbq to fancy gastromolecular cuisines. What I also love is traveling. How is the airfare out of DFW/DAL for weekend get aways? DC, surprisingly, is not as cheap as I thought even with the competition of three airports. Weekend get aways to NY/BOS is about $350, Miami usually $500+, Atlanta usually ~$500, etc. Is that the standard price now for short haul domestic F? In terms of long haul, I go to Asia for vacations. I imagine in a few years miles will be useless, or at least impossible to amass for someone who does not travel for work. In NY there are often good business fares to Asia for <$3500, what about from DFW? Actually the last one doesn't matter since I still have enough miles to last me two more years, maybe by that time I'll be ready to move again.
I'm more about the food myself. You'll find plenty of good BBQ in the DFW area. For Texas BBQ, there's Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum and Lockhart BBQ in the Bishop Arts District if you want to stay close to the Dallas core. Venture to the suburbs and you have Meat U Anywhere in Grapevine or Hutchins in McKinney. If you like Korean BBQ, I like the ones by Old K-Town off of I-35 and Royal and would say it's similar to what you find in Annandale, VA. You're not going to really find any gastromolecular cuisine here...Stephan Pyles used to do it, but that was awhile ago. As I said earlier, no Michelin restaurants. If you like a good steak, my go to places are Pappa Bros steakhouse and Nick & Sam's, but there's so many of them. Things are getting more trendy with ramen shops popping up and Carlos Bakery just opened up. We got some good sushi restaurants as well.

As for travel, Love Field is home of Southwest and you have JetBlue and Virgin flying out there as well. DFW is AA's HUB so lots of options if you're an AA member. Price is going to be similar...$500+ for F going to NY/BOS, Miami, Atlanta and etc. but there are good deals now and then. The pro for Dallas is that it's right in the middle so you can go east or west coast for about the same cost. When I go to Asia, it's usually AA or Korean for non-stop or 1 stop depending if I am going to China or Vietnam. There's that popular DFW-HKG route. I've seen some cheap discount economy seats out of DFW to SE Asia for $600-$700 and just use miles to upgrade.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I enjoy being outdoors, but not in Dallas. I've skied, ziplined and ATV in Whistler/Blackcomb, sea kayak in Broken Group Islands, salmon fishing in the Alberni Inlet, skied and snow mobile around Lake Tahoe, camped and sauna in Finland, hiked in Iceland, climbed mountains on Vancouver Island, walked around SE Asia, and so on.
Well obviously comparing a landlocked city like Dallas to mountainous coastal locales like BC or countries with tiny populations such as Finland and Iceland isn't a fair comparison. Apples to oranges.

As far as inland cities go, the DFW area isn't a bad place to live. There's certainly plenty to do beyond eating and shopping.

I don't like the summer weather here. But there are lots of places where the summer weather is worse.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Awesome, good grilled food and good sushi is enough. No need for gastro. They're too expensive and pretentious to eat everyday anyway.

As of flights - I don't have any miles/status with AA for upgrades. As a to-be-former UA 1K, most of my miles are banked with UA, with the occasional DL credited to AS. But mostly UA.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
One benefit of Dallas is its proximity to areas you would want to take weekend trips to. You can get anywhere in the country in 4 hours or less - usually much less. Also DFW is a big enough hub that international flights to anywhere are plentiful.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
As for travel, Love Field is home of Southwest and you have JetBlue and Virgin flying out there as well. DFW is AA's HUB so lots of options if you're an AA member.
JetBlue flies out of DFW. Currently, it is Southwest, Virgin, and Delta at Love.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Going through this list makes me really scratch my head to read some of the things that made it.

http://www.thecrazytourist.com/25-be...-in-dallas-tx/
Old May 7, 2016, 7:53 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Hi folks, I am forming an exploratory committee of myself and all of yall to explore the possibility of me living in Dallas (or neighboring cities). Let me tell you what I love, in no particular order.
  • Highrises
  • Floor to ceiling windows
  • Proximity to grocery stores
  • Proximity to bars/restaurants
  • Cheap gas + fast cars

And what I don't like
  • Traffic. I know we all hate traffic, but I hate it on a whole new level
  • Being far from big airports
  • Paying more than $1500 for rent (I pay $~2500 now, but I expect Dallas to be cheaper than DC
  • Mexican food
  • Tex-mex food
  • Guns
  • Raised trucks

And what I do not care about
  • Schools (no kids)

Is Dallas for me? From a quick look on apartments.com there seem to be a lot of new highrises and they are all very modern. I also know that the traffic in and around Dallas is awful. How is the DART rail? Is cost of living in Dallas really that much cheaper than DC? What about neighboring cities?
lol you want to live in texas but you made a point of telling everyone you dislike guns trucks and tex mex?

good luck

there's always austin too, that's the least texas place in texas and some people like that apparently
Old May 7, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cur
lol you want to live in texas but you made a point of telling everyone you dislike guns trucks and tex mex?

good luck
In fairness, he did tell all of us that he drives a Mercedes. Seems pretty Dallas to me.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:14 am
cur

Originally Posted by Herb687
In fairness, he did tell all of us that he drives a Mercedes. Seems pretty Dallas to me.
i was thinking the same too. that and highrises close to whole foods.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cur

good luck

there's always austin too, that's the least texas place in texas and some people like that apparently
Originally Posted by cur
i was thinking the same too. that and highrises close to whole foods.
I do not want to live Texas, but I am exploring the possibility of it, so I'll have an idea of if I should even bother applying for jobs there. I was being facetious when I said I do not like guns and raised truck, but it still yielded some non-flaming and assuring answers. However, if you would like to have a pragmatic discussion on guns and raised trucks we can meet at the PR board.

I do not like Whole Foods.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Old May 9, 2016, 1:19 am
cur

I do not want to live Texas, but I am exploring the possibility of it, so I'll have an idea of if I should even bother applying for jobs there. I was being facetious when I said I do not like guns and raised truck, but it still yielded some non-flaming and assuring answers. However, if you would like to have a pragmatic discussion on guns and raised trucks we can meet at the PR board.

I do not like Whole Foods.
why do you want to move somewhere you don't want to live in? being that you hate traffic and want to be close to an airport, why not charleston or savannah?

with all due respect, this type of attitude (i don't actually want to move here, i hate rednecks) is why texans are getting annoyed with outsiders moving in. there is this perception (somewhat right, somewhat distorted) that outsiders are moving in with cali and washington and nyc plates talking about how redneck they perceive texas and how they don't want to be there while they take advantage of low taxes, more personal liberty, variety in housing. growing up in a boom town in canada, i absolutely relate to this.

i mean a transfer is one thing, but choosing to apply for a jobs in a place you do not want? and while i realized you were facetious, why would you bring up your dislike of guns in the same sentence of whether you want to move to the lone star state or not? this is like me saying i want to move to california, well, not really, but i want fast cars and cheap flights. oh but i hate priuses and pinkos.

texas is lovely. dallas is a city just like any other us city. dallas people are uppity and the last place i'd want to live in texas (right down there with austin), but far better than most cities in the usa imo.

you do not like whole foods? well at least there's h e b.
surprisingly, whole foods can be as cheap as the groceries if you shop around, i just go there for 6 pack of lone star tall boys that are cheaper than kroger.

Last edited by cur; May 9, 2016 at 1:47 am
Old May 9, 2016, 4:53 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Because my career is more important than the few hours I have on weekends to actually interact with the city I live in. Why not Charleston or Savannah? Why not Bali or the Bahamas? Why not heaven by the pearly gates? Because there are no American banks offices there that have the jobs related to what I do.

I don't like guns, but as one person above who is actually helpful said, he does not see open carry and does not see open carry as an issue. I didn't say I hate rednecks (you took the liberty of calling yourself that, not me). You think I hate rednecks, which since you said it, seems like a redneck thing to do, you know, ignoring truths and allowing your perceptions to replace reality. Sorry I take that back, it seems more like a closed-minded, bumptiously self-assuming, and self-righteous people thing, not a redneck thing. You want to change people's perception of rednecks, your contribution here certainly does not help.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:01 am
cur

Because my career is more important than the few hours I have on weekends to actually interact with the city I live in. Why not Charleston or Savannah? Why not Bali or the Bahamas? Why not heaven by the pearly gates? Because there are no American banks offices there that have the jobs related to what I do.

I don't like guns, but as one person above who is actually helpful said, he does not see open carry and does not see open carry as an issue. I didn't say I hate rednecks (you took the liberty of calling yourself that, not me). You think I hate rednecks, which since you said it, seems like a redneck thing to do, you know, ignoring truths and allowing your perceptions to replace reality. Sorry I take that back, it seems more like a closed-minded, bumptiously self-assuming, and self-righteous people thing, not a redneck thing. You want to change people's perception of rednecks, your contribution here certainly does not help.
wow

maybe you should just visit dallas for a weekend

and see if it is right for you

one thing for sure is that it's a lot less of a confrontational place than the east, that's for sure

but i will repeat that texans, like anyone, don't take kindly to people who just move to a place to take advantage of some job opportunity and enjoy all the benefits of that place unrelated to that space. same with where i grew up in canada, my friends and i absolutely hate transplants from toronto who just come for a job and then leave when the commodity goes down. going around life espousing that sort of "well i don't really want to be here mentality (and .....ing how everything isn't american-precise) is why i had no friends in south africa the first 6 months i lived there

maybe just go head first and find out for yourself

it's not like you're an economic migrant in the global south who has nothing and is throwing the dice by moving to the nearest city

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/us...exas.html?_r=0

a lot of banks have presences in san antonio houston and new orleans too ja?

who said rednecks are intolerant? "progressives" can be just as intolerant
Old May 9, 2016, 5:24 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Confrontational? Yes, but not unsolicited.

Progressives, whatever they are, are intolerant of parochial views and expired ways, rednecks seems to be often intolerant of change and people different from them. And the world is not constant.

I will visit there one day and see for myself. I won't be moving to Texas to just take advantage of tax unless national income tax becomes exempt too. I'm moving there for a job, and I wouldn't call it taking advantage of job opportunities... People apply to jobs in cities different than the ones they live in, no? All financial institutions have branches and offices everywhere, but my job is not a bank teller. The jobs I do are mostly scattered in and around Dallas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.