Search

Day trip DFW to Houston, which airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Day trip DFW to Houston, which airport?

Hello,
I am taking my aunt from DFW to Houston for a day trip later in October to visit an uncle who is undergoing chemo. I don't know Houston at all. He lives somewhat near the Galleria. We'll fly in on AA (hopefully arriving 9:30am or 10am-ish), I'll rent a car, drive to him, spend the day and do the reverse back to Dallas (after rush hour perhaps). I would appreciate any tips about which airport would be better to fly into/out of in terms of ease inside airport (my aunt is slow getting around but can walk-long distances are not great for her), getting to/from rental cars, traffic and route in Houston. Does it really matter which one we fly into?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.
caclark123
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Likely better advice in the Texas forum, particularly as this is more destination than airline related.

/Moderator
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
The galleria is about equidistant from both airports. Hobby (HOU) is a smaller and generally easier airport to get through.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:32 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
According to Google Maps, 27.6 miles from IAH to Galleria area, 19.8 from HOU.

Gulf Freeway, aka I-45 can back up during rush hour, but is generally pretty good during the day (that would be HOU route).

HOU is much easier to navigate, as it's smaller.

One other thing, last I flew on AA ex HOU, it was ALL RJs if that is a consideration.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thank you for the info. Sounds like HOU will do it for us.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:29 pm

Hobby, without question IMHO. Much easier to get to the Galleria area from there. I would take I-45 north to 610 and then follow 610 around (westbound, then north) to the Galleria area. It's a few more miles that way but considerably less traffic. Just check the 45/610 interchange -- if I remember right, it's a left hand exit to 610.

But once you get on 610, the traffic is considerably better. Others may have a different suggested route, but that is the one I prefer.

And sorry to hear about your uncle.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Just check the 45/610 interchange -- if I remember right, it's a left hand exit to 610.

But once you get on 610, the traffic is considerably better.
You remember correctly ^

And there is usually plenty of time to move over, as the traffic slows WAY down for an exit or two before the interchange

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.