Tolls in Dallas.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tolls in Dallas.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
360 is free, but it will not get you to Denton. From Airfield Drive and then Mod Cities Blvd it will not get your very far at all. Do you know the rest of the way to Denton or do you need help with that?

I have not rented a car at DFW, but I do not find the airport to be the least bit scary, neither is the surrounding area.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
360 is free, but it will not get you to Denton. From Airfield Drive and then Mod Cities Blvd it will not get your very far at all. Do you know the rest of the way to Denton or do you need help with that?

I have not rented a car at DFW, but I do not find the airport to be the least bit scary, neither is the surrounding area.
Thanks.

I was thinking that by the time I got to 360 I should be out of potential toll zones. From then on google maps can be my friend.

I should clarify "scary" I was meaning in terms of driving. I struggle with places that want me to get across 6 fast moving lanes of traffic in about half a mile and/or send me round in circles. Looking at google maps/streetview it seems like the escape from the rental car centre is fairly straightforward but I have thought that other places and got quite stressed out.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:55 am

I see. Airfield Drive is pretty straight forward as is Mid Cities Blvd. There will be traffic on 360, but not real heavy. Once you get onto 360 in a few miles it will merge with 121. Right there you need to keep your eyes open as there will be cars changing lanes as some go from 360 onto 121/114 to go by the north end of the airport, while others on 121 will be headed for the exits to take them into Grapevine or onto the ramps to take them west, as you will do, to get to 114 that leads west to Interstate 35W that takes you to Denton. Just watch the signs. In your case you will stay on the rightside of the highway.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:47 am

Thank you Paint Horse. That helps alot. Won't tempt fate by saying feeling confident but very reassured (in a British, splitting hairs kind of way ).

Thanks again.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Thank you Paint Horse. That helps alot. Won't tempt fate by saying feeling confident but very reassured (in a British, splitting hairs kind of way ).

Thanks again.
There are always free lanes on the Tarrant County (Fort Worth side). You may wish you we're in the toll lane at rush hour but there are always free lanes.

To get to Denton without tolls I'd say take the rental car back north paying cash through the airport and get on Hwy 114 West, but avoiding the Express (Toll) lanes since there is not a cash option. Go all the way west till you can take the ramp north on I-35 W which goes to Denton.

You have to watch the signs to stay in the correct free lanes. That is harder than it sounds especially at rush hour. Or better idea see how much the rental agency will charge for a toll tag and take the toll lanes at rush hour.

Sorry about being late to your thread.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:33 pm

Having been and come back again in one piece and not completely frazzled by the experience I thought I would report back. I think I avoided the tolls but I guess I should wait a few weeks in case Avis sneak something on my credit card while my guard is down.

Left the car rental for Denton via S Airside Drive and Mid Cities Blvd to 360. I was glad I had looked at the junctions on Street View and knew what to expect but that all went quite well.

Ended up returning by travelling from the east of the airport from I-30 to I-35E (lots of roadworks where these cross/merge/split etc etc) then 183. It all went very wrong where I left I-35E for 183 as there were horrendous roadworks and the dreaded exit left which always freaks me out. I blundered around for a little while before rejoining 183 and after that it was pretty easy.

Thanks for the helpful comments from before. Knowing there would be the option of paying cash helped a lot. Also, I did work out the worst case cost and decided that while it would make me grumpy to have to pay that my life would not be ruined by it.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:25 pm

Glad you survived. As to the roadwork, that is just the nature of the area. People keep moving here, so new things must be built to accommodate them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.