Search

Enough time to clear Imig/Customs at DFW on a Sunday night

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Enough time to clear Imig/Customs at DFW on a Sunday night

Hello DFW-ights,
In the early evening, arriving at 7:15 pm, I have made it through Immigrations and Customs and re-cleared security at DFW in about 45 minutes, giving me plenty of time to make it to Terminal A for my 8:50pm? flight back to L.A.. This is with no checked bags and solo.

But this has always been Tuesdays, and Thursday evenings.

Now, the same flight is listed as an 8:20pm, and it's on a Sunday.

Any thoughts on making this connection?

I know it's not a legal connection time, but I could ticket separately, and have 2 more flights later that evening, in case I miss it.

HP
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I haven't flown into DFW on a Sunday, but I couldn't believe how few agents they had screening us for passport control, then, after we got our bags, the even fewer customs agents. I hope to never have to enter the US again via DFW, even if I don't have checked bags.

Here's a way you can look up average wait times on a given month via the Customs and Border Patrol website:

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
8:20 => 8:50 = 30 minutes. With a terminal change, even for domestic connection, that requires everything to go perfectly. Add a pass thru customs & immigration, even with no lines, seems very very tight.

I'd book the later connection.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I doubt a 30 minute international to domestic is even legal for DFW. Heck, the domestic baggage cut off is a higher threshold than that!

Assuming this is one ticket, I'd call the carrier and you should be granted a free itinerary revision based on their schedule change.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by techgirl
I doubt a 30 minute international to domestic is even legal for DFW. Heck, the domestic baggage cut off is a higher threshold than that!

Assuming this is one ticket, I'd call the carrier and you should be granted a free itinerary revision based on their schedule change.

Now that I looked at what I wrote, I think I have confused many of you,

My flight gets in at 7:15pm, and I USUALLY take the onward 8:50pm flight to LAX.

THAT flight has now been changed to 8:20pm. So it would now be 1.05 hours between flights. I realize it's not a legal flight, was just curious for peoples opinions for on Sunday.

I have made it through immigration/customs on this very flight in less then 30 minutes on Thursdays nights, just never on a Sunday,

I plan on taking the later 9:50 flight anyways...as I said, just curious.

HP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.