Wiki Posts
Search

IAH, 4th airport to fly to all inhabited continents

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
IAH, 4th airport to fly to all inhabited continents

Was looking at the IAH wiki, and read that it will be the 4th airport in the world to have flights to all 6 inhabited continents when the Lagos and AKL flights start. DXB, AUH, and JNB are the other three. Quite nice for IAH to be the first Western airport to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...nental_Airport
Under the "operations" tab.

Note to mods: If you want to move this that's fine by me.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
New Zealand is not a continent. Until you can fly nonstop to mainland Australia from IAH it is not on the list.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
New Zealand is not a continent. Until you can fly nonstop to mainland Australia from IAH it is not on the list.

Many people these days consider New Zealand to be part of the "Oceania" continent, which includes Australia.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: Most of them
Is there an IAH flight to Australia or are you counting New Zealand as part of a continent?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fracmeister
Is there an IAH flight to Australia or are you counting New Zealand as part of a continent?
I'm counting New Zealand as part of the continent "Oceania", as most people, at least I would think most people, consider a continent, instead of Australia as the continent.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Qantas?

I thought I read A few months back Qantas was moving a flight from SFO to IAH.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's a nice acheivement - but not a continent
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's a nice acheivement - but not a continent

Many people consider it to be part of "Oceania" or "Australasia", including many geographers.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
In order to achieve this distinction, United will have to actually start the IAH-AKL service.

Until then, discussion of if New Zealand is a continent is a moot point. I myself look forward to flying IAH-AKL, as NZ is about the only decent way to get to places in Australia other than SYD via *A.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by fracmeister
I believe most of NZ is on the same plate as Aus. Regardless, in terms of "political" continents, Aus and NZ would both be definitely in the same continent. Saying that NZ isn't part of Oceania/Australasia is like saying that Japan isn't part of Asia.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Santander
I believe most of NZ is on the same plate as Aus. Regardless, in terms of "political" continents, Aus and NZ would both be definitely in the same continent. Saying that NZ isn't part of Oceania/Australasia is like saying that Japan isn't part of Asia.

Exactly. Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cbechdel
I thought I read A few months back Qantas was moving a flight from SFO to IAH.
They moved the SFO flight to DFW.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Was looking at the IAH wiki, and read that it will be the 4th airport in the world to have flights to all 6 inhabited continents when the Lagos and AKL flights start. DXB, AUH, and JNB are the other three. Quite nice for IAH to be the first Western airport to do that.
Yet another reason why NOT to use Wikipedia as the main source of information.

In the U.S., JFK and ATL both have flights going to all six continents. So does LHR. And I am sure that using Wikipedia on other major airports will yield similar results.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GSBEWR
Yet another reason why NOT to use Wikipedia as the main source of information.

In the U.S., JFK and ATL both have flights going to all six continents. So does LHR. And I am sure that using Wikipedia on other major airports will yield similar results.

ATL don't have flights to Oceania from what i can see, and from what I remember, LHR doesn't have a direct flight to Oceania.

EDIT: I see the JFK flight.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'm counting New Zealand as part of the continent "Oceania", as most people, at least I would think most people, consider a continent, instead of Australia as the continent.
News to me that most people consider Oceania a continent and Australia not, but could be true. What about geographers? Wonder if there are any political motives for varying definitions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.