Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galveston (GLS) air service???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Galveston (GLS) air service???

I need to fly to GLS and don't fancy driving from IAH or HOU. I was sure GLS used to have either American Eagle or Continental Connection flights at one time, but I don;t see anything now. I wouldn't even mind flying into EFD, but I see there is no service there either! Can someone confirm whether or not there are any air taxi type services from DFW or IAH to GLS/
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
As you've gathered, there's no scheduled service. I'm sure that air taxi/charter can be arranged, but based on much experience in the area, in your case I'd opt (1st, 2nd and 3rd) choices for a car service.

I cannot imagine being in Galveston for even 24 hours without a car of my own. Even with countless friends and relatives there, I'd be loathe to depend on them for transport. In desperation, I'd borrow my uncle's hurricane-battered ranch pickup before being a'foot.

Rent a car. Make it an easy drive by using WN or AA into HOU (less than 45 minutes to anywhere in Galveston, far less time with dealing with a charter and pickup at GLS).
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:22 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
There was some airline flying into Dallas many moon ago but it is long gone (even Sugarland had service at one point).

Continental stopped (sadly) the EFD service ~4-5 years ago.

There are frequent shuttle services from HOU, though on weekends they fill up with cruise pax quickly.

There are planes for hire at IAH but I have no idea if they'd do the short hop to GLS, even at a high price.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
My original plan was to fly into GLS, pick up a car, attend to business and fly back. However, since that plan relied on air service that didn't exist, I went with plan B - AA down to HOU, and Hertz to GLS.

I must say, taking I-45 from Houston to Galveston has always been one of my least favourite drives, second only to perhaps 288 from Houston to Lake Jackson/Freeport area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.