Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new.flyertalk.com?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:33 am
Original Poster

new.flyertalk.com?

I got an e-mail from "FlyerTalk Forums [[email protected]]" telling me my ad-free subscription is lapsing (which is incorrect, but that's beside the point of this question) and providing the following link:

http://new.flyertalk.com/forum/claim_subscription.php

When I tried the link, the page wouldn't load until I entered my username and password. However, it refuses to recognize my password.

I noticed that the link is a bit weird; instead of "www" it says "new". Is this legit, or a spear phishing expedition? (And if phishing, who'd go to all this trouble just to get my FlyerTalk handle and password?)
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:50 am

InsideFlyer Premium Access

Greetings Counsellor!

Sorry for the confusion, but I can make sense of it all for you. Please contact [email protected] with your first and last name. I remember what you look like, but that won't help me locate your subscription details.

Kind Regards,
Michelle O'Neill
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:24 am

Not to worry, this isn't a phishing attempt. new.flyertalk is the staging server. There was an update to this server recently, and it appears a setting was missed and the server is sending emails when it shouldn't be. IB-Dick has been notified and this setting will be updated, so no more false emails from the testing server should be sent.

Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moneill
Greetings Counsellor!

Sorry for the confusion, but I can make sense of it all for you. Please contact [email protected] with your first and last name. I remember what you look like, but that won't help me locate your subscription details.

Kind Regards,
Michelle O'Neill
Hi Michelle! Great to hear from you again.

I sure wish we could have a 10th anniversary reunion PiP in Hawaii this fall.

The directions in your e-mail worked like a charm:
Congratulations, you will now enjoy FlyerTalk Premium service when you login as Counsellor. Your FlyerTalk Ad Free access will expire on 2010-04-30.
Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.