Very poor use of language in Talkmail

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free at last!
Very poor use of language in Talkmail

This is directed at the editor of Talkmail :

Who is "Lew Alcinder"?

Not only you address an American idol by a name he has unequivocally asked people to refrain from using but then you add insult to injury by misspelling it.

Very, very tacky.

At least call him

Roger Roger

Last edited by SAtransplant; Feb 26, 2009 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:13 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Very poor use of language in this thread

I'm already regretting the language I wasted in this trivial thread.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SAtransplant
This is directed at the editor of Talkmail :

Who is "Lew Alcinder"?

Not only you address an American idol by a name he has unequivocally asked people to refrain from using but then you add insult to injury by misspelling it.

Very, very tacky.

At least call him

Roger Roger
yes but there are some of us who are "old enough" to remember him as lew alcindor and when he changed his name
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I sincerely doubt it was a slur, but that it rather was an honest slip - from someone old enough (as the previous poster implies) old enough to remember before May 1971, when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar went by his birth name, Lew Alcindor.

There's also no doubt that some could take offense, as we remember some of the slurs and stones hurled at Abdul-Jabbar (much as they were thrown at Muhammad Ali) for becoming Muslim and changing his name (and as we recall the attacks against Muslims and those who were merely different, like Sikhs, soon after Sep 11, 2001.

It's going to take some time before we finally grow enough as a nation to embrace our diversity; it's a continual challenge to each and every one of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.