Wiki Posts
Search

Trackback?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Question Trackback?

When writing a post, below the edit window, there is a new field called "Trackback", which is labelled: "Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):"

What is this all about?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
When writing a post, below the edit window, there is a new field called "Trackback", which is labelled: "Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):"

What is this all about?
I wondered as well and here's the answer:

A trackback is one of three types of linkbacks, methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables authors to keep track of who is linking, and so referring, to their articles. Some weblog software programs, such as Wordpress, Movable Type, Typo and Community Server, support automatic pingbacks where all the links in a published article can be pinged when the article is published. The term is used colloquially for any kind of linkback.
To see how it works in practice, click here.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Just another move in a series to increase FT's visibility..
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:38 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Cholula
To see how it works in practice, click here.
I still don't get it
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:03 pm

Cholula, please simplify this for me. And then simplify even more.

If someone starts a thread, posts on a thread, or clicks on a link that another poster has put in a post:

Is that someone's IP address then potentially visible to another poster who is using Trackback?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie

If someone starts a thread, posts on a thread, or clicks on a link that another poster has put in a post:

Is that someone's IP address then potentially visible to another poster who is using Trackback?
I don't know the answer to that since I don't even understand Trackback, but if that's the case I for one would not be a happy camper. OVMV.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

I don't know anything other than the website I linked to in my above post.

Perhaps this thread will catch the attention of somebody who can explain the process.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:45 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Trackback request would be generated by the website (in this case, FlyerTalk.com) to 'notify' the other website of a reply. IP address exposure would require a direct connection between the 2nd poster's browser and the 1st poster-provided URL + a mechanism to determine that the party, accessing the said URL is, indeed, the 2nd poster.

The former can be easily accomplished outside of the Trackbag realm by posting a link to/including an inline image from a server, under the control of the 1st poster. However, assuming that the thread has more than 2 readers, there would be no way of determining exactly 'who is who'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.