Search

"Who's Online" Not Operational

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
"Who's Online" Not Operational

For the last few days, a feature I use quite often...the "Who's Online" feature....appears to be disabled. I now get this message when I try to use it:

vBulletin Message

The administrator has disabled Who's Online.
Is this unique to me or has it in fact been disabled systemwide for some reason?
Thanks....
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:42 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I believe it's system wide
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:45 am

How am I to stalk jfe now???

Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO anything that reduces the load on FT should be disabled... Perhaps turning off some of these features will bring us back to normal speed...
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Huh still shows on main forum page
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:06 am

The names are there but if you click on their name they will appear as offline in their profile.

Basically you will know if someone is online, but wont be able to see what they are doing.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Couldnt see any point to seeing which thread FTers were viewing/replying anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:29 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by 500 miles at a time
How am I to stalk jfe now???

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/member.php?userid=10046

You can always add people to your buddy list
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
IMHO anything that reduces the load on FT should be disabled... Perhaps turning off some of these features will bring us back to normal speed...
All the bells and whistles that came with the new vBulletin Board are being turned off one by one. First the Reputation Feature and then the Thread Rating and Signature Features....and now this.
I realize the other features were shut down for reasons other than speed. But they're gone nevertheless.
I've got to believe the speed issue with FlyerTalk goes a great deal deeper than checking out Who's Online. Plus this feature has been down for a week and speed hasn't increased one iota for me. Still very slooooooow at times and the next second it zips right along.
But I'm not a techie so I don't have the solution....
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I could very well be wrong about this, but I think the speed problems started when the new member reviews area was opened up & a banner placed on top of each post.

Has someone tried turning that off?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC

IMHO anything that reduces the load on FT should be disabled ... Perhaps turning off some of these features will bring us back to normal speed ...
The much over-used "Post Reply" button is the one that causes the main problems.

If the techs disable that FT will fly along for us all. ^ ^ ^
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The total number of users appears higher than usual for the last couple of weeks. Is that the problem? Additionally, the slowness over the last couple of weeks seems to coincide with the addition of the "quick reply" feature. I hope that isn't the cause.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
You can see "Currently Active Users" from the top screen at FT - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/. You can't click on their username to see what they are doing anymore, so no more asking me what I'm doing in the UN forum, Cholula.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveller
You can see "Currently Active Users" from the top screen at FT - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/. You can't click on their username to see what they are doing anymore, so no more asking me what I'm doing in the UN forum, Cholula.
I realize you can still view currently active viewers. Enquiring minds want to know WHAT they are viewing! I don't want to miss any "fun" stuff on FT.....when I see those on my Buddy List reading a specific thread, it leads me to check it out as well.
Often times, I've cruised through my normal Forums and find nothing compelling. I then check out what others who I respect on FT are viewing and read those threads.
Trust me, when you consider who's on my Buddy List, I've been sent to some VERY strange threads......
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I just went to check on some recent posts of another member, and clicked on the "search other posts by xxxxx" icon next to their user name on the thread, and also get the stern "function not permitted" message.

Why are NOT all these things covered by an announcement? It is getting that many of the regular features have been disabled with no advice given to regular users.

I doubt this function gets much use and puts much drain on the system, but it very useful when you need to use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.