Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I can't stop the Pop-Up's!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Angry I can't stop the Pop-Up's!!!!

I'm not sure why but all of a sudden I'm getting popups all over the place. Each time I click on a link, another one pops up. I have a popup stopper but they laugh at it.

Why are we getting all the popups????? I didn't get this many before. Something new?????
Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:25 pm

I'm forwarding this to our advertising department.

Thanks for letting us know.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:42 pm

The reason your popup blocker can't stop it (and why the built-in popup blocker in Windows XP, SP2 can't stop it) is that Flyertalk makes the link itself popup the advertisement window. By doing this, the browser thinks it was your intent to open the advertisement window, and doesn't stop it. Then, the advertisement window tells the main forum window to navigate to the intended destination.

Basically, the reason you can't get the popup blocker to stop the popup advertisements is because of the way Flyertalk programmers designed the site - intentionally to cause this kind of behavior.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Don't get them this end, and I think I only have the basic Norton pop up stopper?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:41 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Angry

I have enjoyed Flyertalk for several years. Please stop these pop ups!! During the last several weeks, the "Tribalfusion" labeled pop ups open each time you click on a different forum. It really makes visiting Flyertalk a major pain.

Thank you.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by GB
I have enjoyed Flyertalk for several years. Please stop these pop ups!! During the last several weeks, the "Tribalfusion" labeled pop ups open each time you click on a different forum. It really makes visiting Flyertalk a major pain.

Thank you.
That's interesting. I have all kinds of blockers installed, but I usually get the "Tribalfusion" one...almost every time. But it has always -- for me -- been only once, and it does not appear again.

I have absolutely no idea why you get them every time and I only get them once. Interesting...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I'm not and have not been getting these pop-ups. Probably being blocked by Norton Internet Security, but I also have the Google toolbar installed, which has its own pop-up blocker.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:23 am

Programs: DL GM
I'd never seen ads until the last week or so; in fact, I'd been assuming that slow page openings were caused by my Norton security's ad-blocking function. Recently, I've had ads on page (always Tribalfusion) on two occasions; I've dragged them to the Ad Trashcan and they've (eventually) stopped.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
(Disclaimer: Resurrecting old thread.)

I've noticed that my pop-up blocker goes nuts, and I get a pop-up each time I click on a thread, but only when I'm at my parents house, who use Direcway for their Internet provider.

When I'm at my own house (Comcast), or work, or anywhere else, I do not have pop-up issues.

This problem ONLY occurs on FT, so I'm thoroughly confused.

Has anyone else who has had pop-up issues noticed that it's ISP-specific?

Edited to add: This is happening on my notebook computer that I take with me to all of the above mentioned sites. So it's not a PC issue. For me, FT is just about unbearable with all of the pop-ups, at least when here at my parents' house.

Last edited by lbbzman; Jun 26, 2005 at 5:57 am
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:32 am

It'll be because the ad company FT are using is implementing geotargetting, which is just a buzzword describing the ability for clients of the ad network to target certain parts of the world, even down to a town or city. The problem lies where certain ISP don't make it easy to identify where customers live, so you don't get these high paying targetted pop-up adverts.

I used to use pop-ups on my own websites years ago when they first appeared, but they are a step too far. They pay hugely but they annoy visitors. As a result of these ads and the blockers people now use, it is difficult using pop-up windows for genuine purposes. I used to work at a company as a PHP web developer and towards the end we were having to rewrite admin systems so that pop-up blockers didn't break important features. I have a feeling future browsers will have the option to completely disable pop-up windows if the big ad networks continue trying to find ways around the blockers.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
What pop ups? I'm serious with that. I don't get even one.

Have you installed spybot or admuncher? I use spybot and don't get a single pop up from FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.