Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exploit Worm in Flyer Talk?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Exploit Worm in Flyer Talk?

Since my anti-virus system last update, whenever I access the site, I get a warning of the presence of an Exploit worm.

I do delete those every time, but do not understand what actually is going on.

Webmaster?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Master
Since my anti-virus system last update, whenever I access the site, I get a warning of the presence of an Exploit worm.

I do delete those every time, but do not understand what actually is going on.

Webmaster?
I'm going to move this to the Technical Issues forum to bring it to the attention of the folks in Colorado Springs.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:34 am

sorry--deleted.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:49 am

Copy and paste whatever your av program is telling you into this thread.

It is unlikely -- our server does not run on windows -- and the web based worms target windows webservers and internet explorer.

Additionally, although we don't use windows for daily work here, after I saw this message I went to the site on Windows computer with Norton AV and received no warning.

John

Last edited by John at Webflyer; Jul 13, 2004 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by John at Webflyer
It is unlikely -- out server does not run on windows -- and the web based worms target windows webservers and internet explorer.
Just a thought it could be coming from the people who serve your ad banners?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's most likely another ultra-sensative anti virus program, these things report all kinds of innocent things as "serious threats" just to make you keep thinking it's doing a good job...
Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:41 am

Possible -- although as ScottC says it's probably an ultrasensitive av program responding to a cookie. That's why it would be helpful to see the warning.
Originally Posted by jcrb
Just a thought it could be coming from the people who serve your ad banners?
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Isn't it to do w/ spyware?

I update my anti-virus every day & haven't gotten that message, but when I run Spybot it finds DSO Exploit every time & I just have it delete it. I figured it had something to do w/ spyware vs a virus.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 8:22 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
This is an acknowledged Spybot problem, if that's what Master was getting the message from. (See, e.g., this Usenet thread.)
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Yesterday I downloaded Spybot and ran a complete system scan to remove whatever spyware had be loaded on my computer. After I was finished I was unable to login to FT . When I entered my pin number and clicked on the login tab, my password simply disappeared. I tried everything to solve this problem. I was given the 5 login attempts warning message several times and had to wait 15 minutes each time to login again. I was also sent a temporary password in an attempt to login. I even uninstalled Spybot, and the problem persisted. I assume that it deleted something in my registry which caused the problem. Finally I did a system rollback using Norton's Goback to a safe start point and everything worked properly.

I would like to be able to use Spybot, as it is considered by experts to be more effective than Ad-aware. Does anyone have a suggestion as to possibly changing the settings on it so that it doesn't affect my ability to login to FT?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
It might not be SpyBot S&D, for I use that application (in conjunction with Ad-Aware) on many machines regularly to get rid of the stuff (along with SpywareBlaster, which keeps the machines from getting infected in the first place) and none of them have issues with FT after a scan/delete.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
It might not be SpyBot S&D, for I use that application (in conjunction with Ad-Aware) on many machines regularly to get rid of the stuff (along with SpywareBlaster, which keeps the machines from getting infected in the first place) and none of them have issues with FT after a scan/delete.
It had to be the installation of Spybot that caused the problem. It was the only program that I had added to my system and I was able to login to FT earlier in the day without any problem. In addition, when I rolled back my system to a safe checkpoint that was right before when I had downloaded Spybot, everything worked ok. Have you done the latest update to Spybot? It appears that there is a bug in that update.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:31 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Did you have the "immunize" feature turned on?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wheezer
Did you have the "immunize" feature turned on?
I believe I did. Was that the culprit?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:27 pm

I'm not certain, as it's been a few months since I've played with Windows spyware software. However, if you give it another go, try changing the immunize setting to "ask for blocking confirmation" to see whether that localizes the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.