Can't get into FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Question Can't get into FlyerTalk

Hi,

At our office there are two computers that can access FlyerTalk and mine isn't one of them. I have asked our system administrator to try to fix this for me and he is stuck for a solution. It obviously is not an issue with our server since the two computers have access, and it does not appear to be an issue of security levels on the computers.

Any suggestions?

Punki
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:05 am
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by Punki
Hi,

At our office there are two computers that can access FlyerTalk and mine isn't one of them. I have asked our system administrator to try to fix this for me and he is stuck for a solution. It obviously is not an issue with our server since the two computers have access, and it does not appear to be an issue of security levels on the computers.

Any suggestions?

Punki
Don't know what to tell you... it still sounds like an access problem on your end. Try cleaning out your browser's cache, cookies, etc. and restarting it.

Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Shoot, we have done all that many times. No luck.

I didn't mention that the two accessible computers are in our open design room so I can't "sneak a peak" at FT anymore without all of my staff knowing I am goofing off. What kind of example is that?

Maybe the Cyber God is trying to tell me to work harder.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:09 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Maybe Hunki is trying to tell you something...?
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hunki can't get in from his computer either.

Well actually he can when he uses it somewhere other than in the office, but not when he is hooked up to the network, so I guess it must have something to do with that connection, but what? Why can the other two computers access FT through the network?

A mystery.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Punki
Hunki can't get in from his computer either.

Well actually he can when he uses it somewhere other than in the office, but not when he is hooked up to the network, so I guess it must have something to do with that connection, but what? Why can the other two computers access FT through the network?

A mystery.
Punki; What kind of error are you getting? Does FT appear at all?

If www.flyertalk.com doesn't work try using this link: http://63.240.76.4 (that is the direct address to the site).

Also, try the following.

(I assume you are using Windows higher than 95)

Click START, then click the RUN option. Type CMD (or command, depending on your version). You are now in DOS, now type the following command:

ping www.flyertalk.com

It should show you "reply from.....). If you get "timeouts" or other errors then it's a network problem, or possibly an ISP problem, or something else, like a problem with a "hosts" file...

If you DO reach the website with "ping" then it's a browser problem and we can move on to trying to fix that.

Feel free to email or pm me.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thank you ScottC

I will give that a try, or maybe have my IT guy give it a try.

Going 8 hours at a shot without an FT fix is becoming painful.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Also, try the following.

(I assume you are using Windows higher than 95)

Click START, then click the RUN option. Type CMD (or command, depending on your version). You are now in DOS, now type the following command:

ping www.flyertalk.com

It should show you "reply from.....). If you get "timeouts" or other errors then it's a network problem, or possibly an ISP problem, or something else, like a problem with a "hosts" file...

If you DO reach the website with "ping" then it's a browser problem and we can move on to trying to fix that.

Feel free to email or pm me.
I think another way you can do the same thing if you have a Windows setup is to click on the MS-DOS "command prompt" icon (sometimes under "Programs") and then do as above, i.e., at the C: prompt type:

ping www.flyertalk.com

and hit "enter".

Again, as Scott says, if you get "timeouts" or other errors then it's a network problem, or possibly an ISP problem (your end or Webflyer's), or something similar (like a filter in your firewall at work?).

If you DO reach the website with "ping" then it's a browser problem (or the problem has gone away - so try to access Flyertalk again).

Last edited by Counsellor; Apr 28, 2004 at 10:08 am Reason: clarity (I hope)
Old May 3, 2004, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thank you ScottC and Counsellor

"Blings" to you both.

As it happened, I got a new computer today and it can access FllyerTalk. I am so happy. Evidentally he had to do something with the DSN setting to tell it to recognize FlyerTalk. I don't understand these things, but am happy.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.