Wiki Posts
Search

New Search Only After 30 Seconds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, recovering former United 1k
New Search Only After 30 Seconds

I tried a search on the United board that came back with no matches. So, I modified my search and received a warning message that I am only allowed one search each 30 seconds. What's up with that?
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
It's a form of "flood control" much like how you may not post more than once per 30 seconds.

I think it's just to prevent the server from being overwhelmed with too many simultaneous search requests. (I believe this flood control value is also configurable by the board admins.)

FewMiles..
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:17 am

Just to add that I too am finding this irritating. If your first search doesn't throw up what you want, you want to refine your search and run it again right away. The 30 second rule has been particularly tiresome today while I've been updating a lot of the links to other threads in an old post of mine.

While I absolutely can see the reasoning for flood control in making new posts, has FT ever suffering from someone "flooding" the search function? If so, fair enough, if not, and this is just a default that maybe hasn't been changed, please could you consider changing it?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.