Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying advertisement [audio in adverts disturbing others]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Audio adverts [Please post screen shots of offending ads]

I know you have to make money, but frankly I find the adverts with audio especially obnoxious as they interrupt my environment, and I'm sure I'm not alone... I feel bad-ish for the advertisers that they think such things work. They only put me off the brands in them.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I absolutely agree AllieKat, the new auto-play video adverts with the super high sound levels that have absolutely no controls to stop or mute them that have been appearing on FT over the past few days are absolutely infuriating! They don't make me watch them or wait for them to finish, the only thing they do is make me close the browser instantly and go and look at some other website.

Please FlyerTalk stop the videos!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:47 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Can you screen shot one for us?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:20 pm

Also hate them. Freeze the browser, can crash Flash etc. Anything that auto plays should be banned. Will see if I can get a screen shot, the one I saw today was for contact lenses by Adchoice.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:29 pm

Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Also sad to report the new audio and movie based adverts. I know you guys don't want us to use ad-block can you switch them off?

Not all the adverts have sound off buttons either.

Sees to have started over the weekend.

I should also add I am getting two on the same page in some threads.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BugAlugs
Also sad to report the new audio and movie based adverts. I know you guys don't want us to use ad-block can you switch them off?

Not all the adverts have sound off buttons either.

Sees to have started over the weekend.

I should also add I am getting two on the same page in some threads.
I'm generally opposed to blocking adverts, since that's how sites make money, but I ended up just blocking flyertalk.com from being allowed to use Flash. Now there's just grey squares all over Flyertalk, and my computer runs much cooler

Sorry, I'm NOT the kinda person to block adverts, but blocking Flash seems less bad to me because I'm blocking a massive PROBLEM not blocking the ads specifically. I actually set it to default block Flash, and only allowed sites I trust.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:19 pm

I also find the new audio adverts significantly degrade my experience of using FlyerTalk.

Now whenever I click through on a thread I get annoying audio commentary.

Some points:
  • There tend to be two audio ads on the page, one on the right hand side of the first post of the page, and one at the bottom. This means finding the pause button on both ads to stop the noise.
  • The pause button on some of the ads is tiny, so sometimes I miss it and click through to the ad by mistake - this may generate revenue for IB, but it is a further inconvenience to me.
  • Sometimes the two audio ads on the page are for different ads, resulting in two different audio commentaries playing at the same time
  • Sometimes the ad does not have a pause button, so I have to listen (or mute my sound)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:24 pm

All,

I have made our ad ops team aware of the issue and hope to resolve this.

Paul
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Couple more. I'm afraid I will also be blocking ads from appearing on Flyertalk until this is resolved.

Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingnomadic
Couple more. I'm afraid I will also be blocking ads from appearing on Flyertalk until this is resolved.

Why not just block Flash like I did? The advertisers respectful enough not to use it get shown, and... frankly... my computer runs so much cooler and quieter since blocking Flash on most websites.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Me as well. FT is now included in my ....... filter preferences and will stay in there until these are gone. Sorry...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:40 am
Original Poster

I've noticed FlyerTalk and/or advertisers may be getting the message. Fewer grey boxes, not none, but fewer... more unoffencive non-Flash adverts instead.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Temporarily disabled ....... and still seeing autoplay video ads. Two played at the same time when I visited this page.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:00 pm

Temporarily disabled ....... and still seeing autoplay video ads. Two played at the same time when I visited this page.
The video is allowed to play. Audio is not. If you see one, please take a screen shot.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.