Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FlyerTalk Mobile Skin issues, glitches, questions, etc. prior to 28 Mar 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: FlyerTalk Mobile Skin issues, glitches, questions, etc. prior to 28 Mar 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerd
Two minutes?

Maybe it is just your phone?
Works fine again now.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bookmarked start page for FT is MyFlyertalk, with its listing of my subscribed forums. Unfortunately it's still missing on the mobile site.

Will this ever change? Without it, no reason to ever use the mobile site.

Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
FlyerTalk Mobile issues, glitches, questions etc. 2015

Free Travel Contests and Sweepstakes forum needs to be blocked from the homepage feed of Android Mobile App. There's at least 1 user who consistently spams junk on there and takes up nearly the whole homepage feed. That homepage is otherwise great to read new topics in airline or hotel forums I don't regularly read, so keeping it clean of his spam would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:14 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Free Travel Contests and Sweepstakes forum needs to be blocked from the homepage feed of Android Mobile App. There's at least 1 user who consistently spams junk on there and takes up nearly the whole homepage feed. That homepage is otherwise great to read new topics in airline or hotel forums I don't regularly read, so keeping it clean of his spam would be much appreciated.
I am not sure what you mean. We are not going to block a forum because a spammer is posting there. Just report the spam, and the mods will take care of it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I believe one member posts many contests and sweepstakes in that forum. Some people may consider it spam, but it's a regular user doing this, and has been for a long time.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I believe one member posts many contests and sweepstakes in that forum. Some people may consider it spam, but it's a regular user doing this, and has been for a long time.
Then limit new threads in that forum by a single user to one per hour or even better one per day so that forum doesn't spam the whole mobile app homepage at once.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The point of the forum is to list TRAVEL contests and sweepstakes, and often there are many at once. You know, this is a travel board, and some people take advantage of those otherwise, hard-to-find, contests.

While I haven't participated in any of them, I would like to when I have more time.

Would you limit posts in any other forum to a certain number per hour?

If it bothers you so much, you can write to the board admins and ask you be permanently masked from seeing posts in that forum. I'm not sure they would do it, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:01 am

I am not really bothered by spam, but I do think ft mobile (including the app) is simply not a very useful product. Now that I know about "view full site", avoiding ft mobile is pretty easy for me. I just wonder why ib hasn't either killed it or made it better yet.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
That would be me, a long time member of FT & former TB member. Not a spammer, nor are the threads spam. The Free Contest & Sweeps forum has existed for over a decade & has individual travel contests & sweeps listed. I wrote the FAQ/guidelines for the forum, which the CommunityDirector & senior moderators approved. When we do get actual spam, I report it to the senior mods who delete those threads.

I'm not familiar with how the homepage feed works on the Android mobile app & sorry it seems to ruin your viewing, but the threads in the contest sweeps forum are not spam. Blame the technology, not the messenger!

We had someone ask recently for all the threads to go into a megathread vs. individual threads & as a couple of FTers pointed out, that would make the forum be less valuable to FTers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/free-...8-void-pr.html

BTW - in terms of FTers viewing the forum, it seems to be a pretty popular forum. When I was posting sweeps last week there were 168 folk viewing the forum whilst I was posting & the threads themselves get views normally in the hundreds.

Just a thought - have you set up "My Flyertalk"? If so, that might eliminate the homepage feed problem you have when sweeps are posted. I don't know as I either access FT via my laptop or my Kindle Fire HD. But when I do access via either, I only see the forums I'm interested in viewing because I enter FT via "My Flyertalk". Again I don't know if that would fix the problem you're encountering w/ the Android mobile app. IBobi?

Originally Posted by IBobi
I am not sure what you mean. We are not going to block a forum because a spammer is posting there. Just report the spam, and the mods will take care of it.
Agree forums shouldn't be blocked due to real spammers. That hurts those who aren't who are trying to read the various forums. Report bad post works. & the mods & IB jump in pretty quickly to delete those threads. But in this case it's not spam. See my response above.

Yes I do post a lot of sweeps in the forum & the threads are not spam. Heck, we even have a sticky where FTers can post trips they've won from sweeps posted in the forum!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/free-...ds-please.html

The point of the forum is to list TRAVEL contests and sweepstakes, and often there are many at once. You know, this is a travel board, and some people take advantage of those otherwise, hard-to-find, contests.

While I haven't participated in any of them, I would like to when I have more time.

Would you limit posts in any other forum to a certain number per hour?

If it bothers you so much, you can write to the board admins and ask you be permanently masked from seeing posts in that forum. I'm not sure they would do it, but it can't hurt to ask.
Yes the purpose of the forum is to list travel sweeps & contests that meet the guidelines of the forum. Just as there is no other forum that limits posts to once/hour, nor should there be in that forum.

In the past I used to post sweeps every few days so not too many new threads at once. Now I have a tendency to post every couple of months, but when I do so I try to make up for the time lag by posting 50-200 sweeps. My fellow FTers (who may not be accessing FT via Android mobile app) appreciate my taking the 2-4 hours to post the sweeps. Since I don't post sweeps daily (although fair warning I will be posting some today), the Android homepage feed overload shouldn't happen that often.

Getting back to mobile in general & not specific to the sweeps forum. I have a tendency to click the full site button.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 10, 2015 at 10:42 am
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's been answered above that the posts are not spam and are in fact highly desirable by many members. However, given this is not your taste, please send me a PM if you'd like masked from this forum. I mean this sincerely and not in any kind of snarky way. I can mask you so that you never see the forum as long as you are logged into FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I started a separate thread on this, but occurred to me afterwards that perhaps it should go in this thread:

"This has cropped up before and I keep meaning to report it but forget.

There have been numerous times when I'm accessing FT in the evenings via my Kindle Fire HD vs. my laptop. I'll be in a forum and want to do a search within a forum. Example: I'm in the Marriott forum & want to search for properties in Amsterdam. I click on search this forum, and before I can even type Amsterdam (or anything) it suddenly reverts back to the forum and knocks me out of the search box. Rinse & repeat, regardless of forum. I access FT full site vs. mobile when I access it on the Kindle.

Anyone else experiencing this search problem on other devices?"

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:01 am

Hello FT admins,

since a few days when I use the mobile site on my phone (Blackberry Z10) I always find myself logged out. I use a bookmark to my subscriptions to start navigating the site. Until a week ago it would just load without issues, now it goes to the login screen. I have tried logging in and re-bookmarking the page but it doesn't work.

Do you have any suggestions? Has something changed on your side? Thank you!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:13 am

Private messages

I rec'd a private message and I've tried several times to reply to the person. When I hit the reply button to their message the app closes down on me.

What am I doing wrong ?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The app is crap (and no longer available in the App Store and no longer supported by IB). Use the website.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ParJA
I rec'd a private message and I've tried several times to reply to the person. When I hit the reply button to their message the app closes down on me.

What am I doing wrong ?
If you can supply operating system, browser and versions, that will help Tech / Admin when they return to work next week. In the meantime, I'll give the standard palliative "clear your browser of FT related cookies and cache content" to see if that fixes it.

Have a great weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.