Was there always a mobile site?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

I might be [clueless], but was there always a mobile site or is this brand new?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm Reason: Replace often offensive term with a gentler one.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:08 pm

I don't know how new the http://mobile.flyertalk.com/ site is, if that is what you are referring to. But I think it is getting a lot more use, as there is no current way to access the site via a dedicated app. At one time there was an app for at least Android and Apple, however the apps are now unsupported.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiima
FlyerTalk predates mobile sites existing, so certainly there wasn't "always" a mobile FT site, but the FT mobile site has been around for a couple years at least, because I remember reading in threads a year or two ago that people using the mobile site could not see Wikiposts (that many threads now have) on the mobile site back then.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:40 pm

See that the site hasn't always existing, then certainly anything presently on it, obviously hasn't always been.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Something flipped today; it's not just you. I've never seen it before but now it's defaulting on my iPhone.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The first mention of the FlyerTalk mobile site in this forum is November 9, 2009.

Recently, FT began defaulting to the mobile site if you attempted accessing it from your mobile device. At the bottom of the page you can request to proceed to the full site using your browser.

We'll start a new thread for FT mobile site issues, etc. so we can corral all them critters, er, have a single thread Admin can respond to and we can see if there are solutions to bugs and glitches we might experience with our diverse mobile tools.

One post has been moved from this thread; it can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...tc-2015-a.html

/JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Something flipped today; it's not just you. I've never seen it before but now it's defaulting on my iPhone.
Same here. What I saw before could be described as mobile-optimized, but now there is a great improvement that could be described as designed for mobile-first.

This may help save my eyesight!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I clicked the same bookmark as usual and came to a mobile site. It's a nice change to constantly zooming in.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Just started defaulting for me tonight too, maybe due to me clicking on the mobile site out of curiosity! Cookie clear time...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:37 am

While I like this new default view (never knew it existed either), it would be nice to see when a thread was last posted to easily (time). Also, it would also be nice to jump to the last post of a thread right from the forum.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
The old mobile site was based on the WiForums WAP platform. It was a web application that connected directly to the database and had its own method for parsing the data. It was optimized for early smartphones. The new skin (I assume it is a skin, that is) is likely a direct add-on for vBulletin. This is likely auto-selected with a browser agent detection script for mobile devices. Clicking View Full Site likely changes your skin selection back to the default. This is the method we used to use on my vBulletin website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.