Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do i need a bigger screen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2001, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
do i need a bigger screen?

some of the posts are so wide i have to scroll left and right to read them... and after awhile i develope cross-eyes and a migrane a screenful big!

why is that some posts fit the screen and some don't? is it possible to adjust?

sorry if this has come up before...

advice appreciated,
belle
Old Oct 1, 2001, 5:24 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
belle - this usually happens because someone has posted a long URL into the screen. What's weird to me is that sometimes, as described in another thread in this forum, it forces a hard return and the URL wraps, but sometimes it doesn't. I don't know the specifics of why it does in some situations and not in others..
Old Oct 1, 2001, 10:00 am
dan at WebFlyer

belle, svpii explains it as well as I could. Sometimes people post a link that happens to be very long, and if there aren't any spaces in the link, then your browser doesn't know where to wrap it at.

Old Oct 1, 2001, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If a URL is too long to fit in your window, but less than a maximum length of about 127-128 characters, it just makes your virtual window wide enough for the URL so you have to scroll horizontally to see it all.

If it's longer than that, it makes the virtual window that width and breaks the URL into sections of that length. You have to scroll, plus if you try clicking on the URL your browser only picks up the line you click on (and only recognizes the first line as a URL, since the others don't start with the right letters). To use the URL you have to copy the segments after the first and paste them after each other, one at a time.

By the way, this doesn't just apply to URLs. Any really long word would do the same. The reason we only see it with URLs is that English words are usually not long enough to make it happen.

As for the question in your subject line: with the proliferation of toolbars, palettes and everything else in every application, you always need a bigger screen!

(edited to fix minor typo)

[This message has been edited by Efrem (edited 10-01-2001).]
Old Oct 1, 2001, 11:12 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by belle3388:
why is that some posts fit the screen and some don't? is it possible to adjust?

sorry if this has come up before...

advice appreciated,
belle
</font>
In addition to what's been mentioned, increasing the resolution your computer is dsiplaying might help as well. Resolution is what is expressed when someone says the screen displays 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768. Resolution is measured in number of pixels, with a pixel being the smallest element on the screen that the computer can control.

If you wanted a larger display, you could go out and buy even a 32" monitor and connect it to your computer, but it would only display the same thing your current monitor does, only it would be a LOT bigger. By the same token, you could use a 14" monitor to display some insanely high resolution like 1600x1200 but it's doubtful you could read anything because what would be displayed would be incredibly tiny!

The higher the resolution, the smaller a given object will appear, but more objects can be fit onto the screen at once.

It all depends on what type of display you're using. If you're using a laptop or a flat panel desktop display, these all work best at one resolution and indeed will not display anything higher than that resolution which is called their native resolution. At that native resolution, there is indeed one physical element for each pixel. The resolution can be lower, but the display quality will be compromised.

Standard desktop monitors can change resolution at will, and most computers these days come configured by default at lower than optimal resolution. The way you change resolution varies from operating system to operating system, but it's still fairly easy.

On Windows 95/98/2000/Me you simply go into the control panel by clicking on Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, and then Display.

Once in the Display settings applet you would click on the Settings tab. There is a slider in the lower right hand corner labelled Screen Area. That controls your resolution.

If it's 800x600 or less, you might try increasing it to 1024x768 if your monitor is capable of it. That will give you more screen area and should make your posts fit entirely within the window.

Remember to make sure your monitor is CAPABLE of the higher resolution before you start playing or you might find that your monitor refuses to display the new resolution by going blank! If this does happen, don't panic. Merely hit the Escape key and your computer will go back to the former resolution.

Email me if I can help further or if this was too confusing (probably was given that I'm awful at technical writing!)

[Edited for content...and again for clarification]

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 10-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 10-01-2001).]
Old Oct 1, 2001, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Excellent information. For Mac users: go to your Monitors and Sound control panel (click on the left icon labeled "Monitor" if it isn't already highlighted) or, if you have the control strip showing, click on the module that looks like a checkerboard in a frame. Either will show your available resolutions. Pick the one you want.

You will get a message that says something like "You have changed your screen resolution. Click OK to confirm." If you don't click within a few seconds, your screen will return to the previous resolution. That avoids the problem kanebear referred to at the end of his post - if your monitor won't work at the new resolution you won't see the message, so you can't click OK and your screen won't change.

That's how it works through System 9 and sub-releases. I haven't used System X yet.
Old Oct 5, 2001, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
It doesn't take a long URL to cause the problem. A long "word" can do it also. For example, the 18th message in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/005353.html
has a "word" made up of many many characters without a space character. This forces the window to be very wide, to include the entire "word."

------------------
Middle_Seat

Edited to add: I emailed the author of the offending message to ask him to break up the word "...tumitumitumi..." somewhere with a space character. After he does that, the wide-window problem should go away.

[This message has been edited by Middle_Seat (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, US Airways, SWA
Is anyone else having a problem with text not wrapping when reading flyertalk? I am using IE7, and am not having problems with other sites.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:39 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by MinetaFlyer
Is anyone else having a problem with text not wrapping when reading flyertalk? I am using IE7, and am not having problems with other sites.
Yes, I am. It seems to be a problem caused by the ads in the threads. They appear as just script - no images. Is there some sort of corruption with the ads?

I am using Mozilla Firefox.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
I've been having same "wrap" problem for last couple of days & only here on FT - no other sites affected. Really annoying & impossible to follow a forum.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
ANOTHER reason I am glad that I have the ad free version of Flyertalk!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Having the same problem for several days now too. What this ad free FT?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Originally Posted by wharvey
ANOTHER reason I am glad that I have the ad free version of Flyertalk!
Thanks for the reminder Wharvey!
g_lyser: it was the ads. just renewed my online subscription to InsideFlyer,$12, & all the garbled posts & endless wraps went away. happy again

For others who might want to join, just go to blue banner under MEMBERS & click on Premium.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Having the same problem

I'm having the same problem with threads being far too wide. It may be linked to pop-up ads that pop up or otherwise intrude on the screen even though I have pop-ups blocked. Also, I'm seeing some very long lines of script/code on the page. FWIW, I use Firefox.

Is this something only FT can fix or should I try doing something?

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 15, 2009 at 6:31 pm
Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:30 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.