Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Report spam / spammer post issues here (PLEASE read wikipost)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Best ways to report spam on FlyerTalk
The easiest way to report that kind of posted spam is by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function.

Next to every post is a widget (looks like a triangular road sign, white with red edges, enclosing a black exclamation point).

Clicking on pops up a message box; the message goes to all Moderators of a forum, or to the four Senior Moderators if there are no appointed Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc.

There's two Moderators here, and Admin and Tech are off weekends, etc. Nonetheless, we keep an eye on this thread, and we will take requisite action in due time.

Here are the best practices, as brought up by lo2e:
  • If it's multiple posts by the same person in the same forum, only one alert is needed. In your report, please notify the moderator there are multiple posts.
    • If it's multiple posts by the same person in different fora, one alert per forum is appreciated - it allows a more complete and quicker response.
      • If it's multiple users (same forum or not), alert all of them - it allows a more complete and quicker response.
        • For very dodgy or even dangerous spam (links to possible malware, etc.), I'd recommend sending a PM to the four Senior Moderators with a brief explanation of why you're contacting them.

They are currently (effective 2 November 2023) l etoile, NewbieRunner, Ocn Vw 1K, and JY1024.

Thank you,

Technical Support and Feedback forum Moderation Team

P.S. Certainly, we advise members to NEVER click on a URL link or call a telephone number provided in spam. It’s likely there will be malware, and attempt to defraud or a pricey call-back scheme (particularly common from Caribbean numbers with 268, 284, 473, 664, 649, 767, 809, 829, 849 and 876 area codes).

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

Report spam / spammer post issues here (PLEASE read wikipost)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

All have had their FlyerTalk posting privileges suspended permanently — and I am expecting more to come...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Canarsie
All have had their FlyerTalk posting privileges suspended permanently — and I am expecting more to come...
We are correct. Here's the 4th (and still counting):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...charni556.html

It's going to be a long day/night. Sigh!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by lin821
We are correct. Here's the 4th (and still counting):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...charni556.html

It's going to be long day/night. Sigh!
Several moderators are currently on the case, lin821.

Thank you.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:01 pm

Here's a new one, currently polluting SPAM Forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...-castilla.html

Thanks!

ETA:

Thank you Spiff for shutting him down so quickly!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
When you see such spammers, please use the "Alert a Moderator" function on the post.

This will generally get much quicker action.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator
Technical Support forum
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
When you see such spammers, please use the "Alert a Moderator" function on the post.
I did and I always do. I don't post every spammer I spot in this forum unless I suspect a potential site/system-wide "attack."
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:59 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Spam attack happening right now by user TeraBaap - so far posts in CommunityBuzz and the Suggestion Box, I'm about to modalert all of them.

Edit to add: All current posts reported.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by lo2e; Apr 20, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:51 am
Ambassador, New England

User hrag has posted several spam posts in the Suggestion Box this morning. Will start modalerting each of them now.

Edit: Modalerts done.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lo2e
User hrag has posted several spam posts in the Suggestion Box this morning. Will start modalerting each of them now.
That was the 3rd phone number spammer I have notice in the last 12 hrs. Several more in the last few days. Guess they are premium phone numbers that you pay $$ to phone.

My understanding is we only need to report 1 post. Moderators will pick up the other 4.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That was the 3rd phone number spammer I have notice in the last 12 hrs. Several more in the last few days. Guess they are premium phone numbers that you pay $$ to phone.

My understanding is we only need to report 1 post. Moderators will pick up the other 4.
When spam is by the same actor / handle, one alert will get us aware and we have tools available to mass delete and suspend accounts in the same operation.

There indeed has been a spam storm, appearing to be from the same India source. They’re persistent and spoof many IP addresses to prevent us blocking the actual source, and we’ve noticed they’re bombing a number of sites.

Thank you for notifying us of spam when you see it. (Note: in fora without appointed Moderators, the reports go to the Senior Moderator Team.)

JDiver, Co-Moderator, Tech. Support & Feedback and The Suggestion Box fora
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:47 am
Ambassador, New England

Ok, so just so I'm clear (and maybe this needs to go in the Wiki so that everyone is clear):

If it's multiple posts by the same person in the same forum, only one alert is needed.

If it's multiple posts by the same person in different fora, one alert per forum is needed.

If it's multiple users (same forum or not), alert all of them.

Please let me know if I've crossed my wires on this... thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:03 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Ok, so just so I'm clear (and maybe this needs to go in the Wiki so that everyone is clear):

If it's multiple posts by the same person in the same forum, only one alert is needed.

If it's multiple posts by the same person in different fora, one alert per forum is needed.

Yes, that sounds right.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Yes.

Yes. But. The longer version: Not really, but it really helps, because the earlier a Moderator becomes aware the sooner we can ban and each forum’s Moderators can clean up the spam. Otherwise, we will normally clean up our forum / fora, and ask the Senior Moderator Team to clean across multiple fora. So the multiple notifications are apt to result in faster action (as we Mods are volunteers, spread out globally and work, travel, etc.)

Yes. The alerts come over the transom (well, email) about specific posts. Often we will check our fora for other spam, but if we’re busy with other things it’s easier for us to know about multiple spammers with multiple notices..

I’ve added your list to the Wikipost. Thank you for asking and helping keep FT as spam-Free as we can. (And mind you, these are the crumbs that get by the traps and blocks we’ve set up to stop or slow these people down.)

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 28, 2018 at 4:38 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Just be sure to make a note in the report you send that there are other posts by the same user in the same forum that also need to be deleted so the moderator knows to handle them as well.
JDiver and lo2e like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:26 am

ID Forum under attack...

Starting about an hour ago, ID Forum has been targeted by the same group of spammers. I've spotted and reported 4, assuming all 4 from the same (Indian) source. Only one is suspended. I suspected more will pop up in the coming hours, if not minutes.

Thanks for taking care of them promptly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.