Suggestion: Increased PM Box Size [and tips for archiving PMs]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.

As the title states a PM box increase would be nice.
500 PM's is quite low. Especially if you're saving PM's with good information.

Even with deleting PM's I'm constantly deleting PM's. I wish I didn't have to worry about which to delete and which not to delete.

Any interest?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
This really should be first vetted as a technical issue for IBB. I'll move the OP's thread to the forum for feedback.

#####################

Just realized there is an existing thread on the subject in the "Technical" forum. Rather than move things back and forth, let's have the Community Director and/or IBB's representatives determine if the TalkBoard can even advocate this. The issues may be related to server storage.

Last edited by Moderator2; Jun 26, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:14 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
500 PMs tends to work for most of our members. For now, the 500 PMs will have to suffice until we field a premium membership offer, which we do not have a timetable for at this time.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by f0xx
As the title states a PM box increase would be nice.
500 PM's is quite low. Especially if you're saving PM's with good information.

Even with deleting PM's I'm constantly deleting PM's. I wish I didn't have to worry about which to delete and which not to delete.
Did you know that you can save your private messages in one of three formats — XML, CSV or TEXT — to your hard disk drive, whereby afterwards you can clear out your private message account and start over fresh?

You can even save out to all three formats before clearing out your private messages...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBobi
500 PMs tends to work for most of our members. For now, the 500 PMs will have to suffice until we field a premium membership offer, which we do not have a timetable for at this time.
Interesting. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Did you know that you can save your private messages in one of three formats — XML, CSV or TEXT — to your hard disk drive, whereby afterwards you can clear out your private message account and start over fresh?

You can even save out to all three formats before clearing out your private messages...
That's fine and dandy but when I need to reference and shoot a quote out to people. That would make it a hassle.

I'll figure something out.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:19 pm

That's fine and dandy but when I need to reference and shoot a quote out to people. That would make it a hassle.

I'll figure something out.
I may have used recent quotes in my private messages; but I cannot think of one time where I needed to reference and shoot a quote out to a fellow FlyerTalk member — even as a moderator...

...but the first thought which came to mind for me is to save whatever quotes you need to reference and send to someone is to save your private messages as a TEXT file and then import the document into Microsoft Word; then copy and paste the quoted content you need as necessary.

While it is not an elegant solution, would that work?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

I may have used recent quotes in my private messages; but I cannot think of one time where I needed to reference and shoot a quote out to a fellow FlyerTalk member — even as a moderator...

...but the first thought which came to mind for me is to save whatever quotes you need to reference and send to someone is to save your private messages as a TEXT file and then import the document into Microsoft Word; then copy and paste the quoted content you need as necessary.

While it is not an elegant solution, would that work?
In the MS forum, I do it quite a bit. A lot of discussion for me at least happens in PM's vs the public.

I think jotting down the most used data in a Word doc or something will work. ^
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:14 pm

In the MS forum, I do it quite a bit. A lot of discussion for me at least happens in PM's vs the public.

I think jotting down the most used data in a Word doc or something will work. ^
How about this:

Click on the QUOTE button of each private message you would like to preserve and copy the BB code so that you keep the quoting and other functions intact; then paste it into a text editor or Microsoft Word...

...then when you are ready to send that private message, it will be pre-formatted for you when you copy it and paste it in the future.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:37 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Another thing you can do.... only keep the latest Private Message in the conversation... the conversation thread and history is in the latest message.... so you do not need to keep all the previous messages.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wharvey
Another thing you can do.... only keep the latest Private Message in the conversation... the conversation thread and history is in the latest message.... so you do not need to keep all the previous messages.
This only works when people reply with all of the previous messages quoted. I've been annoyed when folks start a new message instead of replying or their reply deletes all but the most recent message.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Didn't know that; learned something new!

How about this:

Click on the QUOTE button of each private message you would like to preserve and copy the BB code so that you keep the quoting and other functions intact; then paste it into a text editor or Microsoft Word...

...then when you are ready to send that private message, it will be pre-formatted for you when you copy it and paste it in the future.
I normally just copy the verbiage straight into a word doc if there's something in a PM I want to keep, but good idea re: the BB code.

Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It appears to be this request is the result of MS strategies going underground and into PMs rather than being shared publicly. That forum is pretty close to having no information at all because of that.

And no, I don't participate nor do MS. I check the forum to see how creative people are
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Moved into private messages and off site into other private collaboration places.
Though I posed this idea before that shift had occurred.

Sadly IB stated they're not looking into upping the size.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Since MS is only 1 forum on FT, and 500 PMs has served us pretty well for a very long time, changing it probably isn't worth it.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:48 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Personally, if people just want a larger PM mailbox so they can privately share ideas that they want to keep from this community... then they can use their emails.

This community became great because we shared with each other.... and trusted each other. So sad that has changed over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.