Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Can I / How do I change my user name / username / handle?

FAQ: Can I change my FlyerTalk handle? <Link>

We will allow you as a ONE TIME courtesy to change your handle. To do so you must email a FlyerTalk administrator* with three username options and a valid reason for wanting to change your handle. You will be asked to keep your old username in your title line for a period of time, depending on the amount of posts that you already have. This will ensure that we avoid any confusion in the community and that your reputation is carried over to your new handle. This is strictly a ONE TIME offer to members, so please think carefully before asking! We do not change handles if you have over 500 posts.

*To request a change, you can send a Private Message (PM) to our Community Director at NWIFlyer and Administrator IBJoel.

Read on, please.

From the FlyerTalk FAQ here:

What if someone has a similar handle to what I'd like to use?

We do a quick check of all new handle requests and if the one you seek is too close to an existing user we will generally ask you to select something less similar. A new user called Randy Peterson would not be approved for example as it may be confused with Randy Petersen. Similarly, Detroit 1K or Detroit_1K would likely not be approved if we already have a Detroit1K registered etc. If any member advises us a new handle appears too similar to an existing one, we will ask the two members to try and amicably work out a solution and advise us of that, before becoming involved.

Can I change my FlyerTalk handle?

The short answer is NO. In general the handle you registered with is the one you are known by during your time in this Community. However, if for instance you started two years back as FargoFlyer and are now based in Tampa, we will allow you as a ONE TIME courtesy to change your handle. To do so you must email a FlyerTalk admin with three username options and a valid reason for wanting to change your handle. You will be asked to keep your old username in your title line for a period of time, depending on the amount of posts that you already have. This will ensure that we avoid any confusion in the community and that your reputation is carried over to your new handle. This is only available to members with fewer than 500 posts and is strictly a ONE TIME offer to members, so please think carefully before asking! (Though the Community Director and Admin will carefully consider other reasons, they're pretty conservative about the issue.)
From the FlyerTalk Rules:

1. Usernames Link to this Rule: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#usernames

To post on FlyerTalk, you must register for an account and select a username. The following rules apply to usernames:
  • Usernames cannot be a URL or an email address.

• They must contain only characters of the Roman alphabet and/or Arabic numerals.

• They are subject to all the other rules of FlyerTalk (e.g. those that forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment). In other words, appropriateness is required.

• For privacy purposes, it is strongly recommended that you not use your real name in your username.

• If your username is long, please incorporate spaces so that it does not distort the column width, or it may be changed by an administrator.

• Travel industry professionals who are registering an account in order to post in an official capacity on behalf of their employer or company can be identified across FlyerTalk by their green-colored username. In order to obtain such an official designation, please contact the Community Director.

• You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames you have registered. The only exception to this rule is approved travel industry professionals, who may also have a personal username in addition to their official company username. Contact the Community Director for such approval.

• Should you have second thoughts regarding your choice of a username, one-time changes can be arranged by contacting the Community Director.
Possibly the greatest percentage of handle change requests come from those who signed up for FlyerTalk using their name as a handle (e.g. Susie Q. Smith); for privacy purposes, many would encourage a change to a more protective and anonymizing handle such as SQJetFlyer.

Hint: You can see if your desired handle is in use by filling out the PM form and seeing if the handle auto fills or not, or if there is an existing handle that could be confusing because it's very close to what you're testing. After, simply discard the PM.

The process: PM NWIFlyer (Community Director) and IBJoel (Administrator) with your request and the reason for it, as posted above.

If granted, all previous and new posts will reflect your new handle, and there will be a note reflecting your old handle for a period of one to six months (depending on your tenure and number of posts on FlyerTalk); this assures post continuity and transparency to the membership.

Don't expect handle changes to be granted for trivial reasons. Changing handles is disruptive to FlyerTalk's continuity and post trails.

Print Wikipost

Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I'm interested in knowing this as well. I remember reading there is a one-time change allowed, but that only applies to specific cases like if you lived near LGA, but moved to SFO, and you want to change your handle from LGAflyer to SFOflyer.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Info here (read the wiki): <link to this thread>

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2015 at 7:19 am Reason: URL redacted
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
We're relocating this thread to Technical Support and Feedback.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pdbphoto
Is there any way to change my sign-on name while keeping the same email address? I assume I need an administrator to do that for me, since I can't seem to find a way to do it myself.
you are correct; it must be done by Admin. Please read the wiki for instructions.

Originally Posted by agp423
I'm interested in knowing this as well. I remember reading there is a one-time change allowed, but that only applies to specific cases like if you lived near LGA, but moved to SFO, and you want to change your handle from LGAflyer to SFOflyer.
Not exactly . But the wiki explains the possible reasons, and how to get that accomplished.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP,SPG GOLD,UA,AA,Kirs, IHG Plat
USER NAME

Can I change my user name(log in)?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:23 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...me-handle.html
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:33 am
formerly known as Eyal Wizner

Programs: Turkish air, Miles & More, ELAL
change my name.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Requests should go to IBobi or to me. A reason should be given for the desired name change.
I would like to change my name as it showed when i log in. I want to change it to flyer386
I dont want my name to be showed any m386. Can u do it?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by eyal wizner
I would like to change my name as it showed when i log in. I want to change it to flyer386
I dont want my name to be showed any m386. Can u do it?
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Requests should go to IBobi or to me. A reason should be given for the desired name change.
Please read the wiki at the top of the page for further information.

Your request should not be posted in this forum; it should be sent via Private Message (PM) as directed by our Community Director, SanDiego1K. As your requested new handle seems available, it's just a matter of sending that PM.

/JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Question please let me change usernames...

'cyst' was a moniker / alias from the early 2000s internet-days when I was in my misspent youth. Is it possible to get my username changed? Perhaps to shat or sh4t which is what I use for twitter and everything else (it is part of my last name).

Please let me know, I really can't stand the 'cyst' name but prefer not to give up my member since '04 status in here!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by cyst
'cyst' was a moniker / alias from the early 2000s internet-days when I was in my misspent youth. Is it possible to get my username changed? Perhaps to shat or sh4t which is what I use for twitter and everything else (it is part of my last name).

Please let me know, I really can't stand the 'cyst' name but prefer not to give up my member since '04 status in here!
It's allowed; please read the wiki at the tip of this page to see how to proceed. Both proposed user names seem to be available.

/Moderator
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: sansol
Change Flyer Talk Username

Is there a way to change username for flyertalk. i am fairly new to this.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The information you need is in this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: American
How do i change my display name? (to merge)

I just signed up for this forum using the facebook link. I don't want my real name to display on posts. How do i update my user handle?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Here's the answer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...can-i-how.html

[<redacted>

I don't think FT TOS encourages two or more handles for the same user

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#usernames

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 1, 2016 at 4:26 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:25 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

We definitely discourage multiple user names, lin821.

There's a better way, described in the thread entitled Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?. It's pretty easy.

We will merge this query into that thread shortly.

You can find it and other useful threads in the sticky thread entitled PLEASE READ: Tech Support & Feedback TIPS & TRICKS (link).

JDiver, Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.