Wiki Posts
Search

Why I don't bother with FT much any more

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Why I don't bother with FT much any more

It just takes too long nowadays to get a page up. To work through several pages takes longer than I have available.

The banners at the top comes up quite reasonably, and so do all the ads, which you are then left looking at for sometimes 30-60 seconds waiting for the main part of the page to come through. It appears to be something to do with the large number of different ad servers that all are embedded in the page margins nowadays. Quite often the main page never comes through at all, you are just left witha blank white space saying "Done".

It's a shame. Pre-big corporation running FT it all worked much better, occasional failure but generally OK. Now it's slow beyond adjectives all the time. This is not just an experience of the last couple of days, it has been like it for months.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I agree, it is very slow

Seems FT ran much better in the earlier days...well for me, at least in 2007.

To make things worse, I just tried to SUBMIT this reply and I get bounced out of FT and onto an IE page saying cant display webpage. This has been going on ever since FT went down last week. I am just about at my patience's end .

I am going over to Twitter - at least that works instantly - no resubmitting replies, no waiting.

Good luck.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

For a very small subscription fee you get FT without the ads, and for what I learn, save and the camaraderie it is a worth while investment!

I've not had a problem with slow page loads and only one or two instances where the FT page did not reload after a post. What type of connection do you have?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Italy98
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

For a very small subscription fee you get FT without the ads, and for what I learn, save and the camaraderie it is a worth while investment!

I've not had a problem with slow page loads and only one or two instances where the FT page did not reload after a post. What type of connection do you have?
FT response time has sucked for the most part since the cyber-attack a week ago. It's either down or loading slow. I think that's what most are referring to, including that besides cyberattack it's occurred in the past too. Many a time we've been left hanging so to speak. For example, when I attempted to log on this morning FT was down. Now it's up.

Cheers.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I get FT without the ads and still get the problems WHBM describes.

I often click on the X to cancel then reclick on what I want to reload. Sometimes that helps, but it's still slow.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
FT has been really fast for me once I installed ....... Plus to my Firefox install and took out all the advertising.

I have only done that for flyertalk.com, since I do believe in advertising-support free content, and I certainly don't want others to block ads I have chosen to associate with otherwise free content which I distribute. But FT's performance is so bad sometimes, and the whole skimlinks debacle (for which we still have no public comment nearly two months later) just sent me over the edge.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I agree, it is very slow

Seems FT ran much better in the earlier days...well for me, at least in 2007.

To make things worse, I just tried to SUBMIT this reply and I get bounced out of FT and onto an IE page saying cant display webpage. This has been going on ever since FT went down last week. I am just about at my patience's end .

I am going over to Twitter - at least that works instantly - no resubmitting replies, no waiting.

Good luck.
I would expect transmission times between Colorado and Australia to take a bit longer based on the distance
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Italy98
I would expect transmission times between Colorado and Australia to take a bit longer based on the distance
Server is in California but still yes will take a little longer, this is not an issue of transmission times though, this is server problems due to attacks that Internet Brands is failing to handle properly with a long time.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Flyertalk has been very slow for me also. If I didn't like this site so much & the people I've meet I'd be long gone. With that said I've cut my time back which may be a good thing

Last edited by coachrowsey; Nov 22, 2009 at 1:27 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I don't know. I've been pretty lucky with FT response time (except of course the outage the other day and today's redirect).

And not to tout the whole FireFox / ....... thing, but it does seem faster than IE.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If the site is down & having problems, does it actually matter which browser you're on? Problems are problems & IB isn't doing a very good job dealing w/ them. I'm just sayin...

Cheers.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
It just takes too long nowadays to get a page up. To work through several pages takes longer than I have available.

The banners at the top comes up quite reasonably, and so do all the ads, which you are then left looking at for sometimes 30-60 seconds waiting for the main part of the page to come through. It appears to be something to do with the large number of different ad servers that all are embedded in the page margins nowadays. Quite often the main page never comes through at all, you are just left witha blank white space saying "Done".

It's a shame. Pre-big corporation running FT it all worked much better, occasional failure but generally OK. Now it's slow beyond adjectives all the time. This is not just an experience of the last couple of days, it has been like it for months.
Aside from the problems this week which seem to stem from the cyberattacks mentioned elsewhere, I've noticed the same thing from time to time, but chalked it up to specific ads that were running @ that time such as the Sheraton banner ads (I noticed any site they poped up on would drag like that) & when the Disney Dumbo ones started showing up a few months ago.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I don't know. I've been pretty lucky with FT response time (except of course the outage the other day and today's redirect).

And not to tout the whole FireFox / ....... thing, but it does seem faster than IE.

I agree Firefox seems to work better for some reason. I just installed this ....... & right now it's flying.

Last edited by coachrowsey; Nov 22, 2009 at 7:05 pm Reason: Added last sentence
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by WHBM
While I won't dispute that it at least appears IB is not handling things well, consider there may be an issue on your end.

For the longest time, any time I tried to access FT at school, page load times were in in the multiple minutes. The only reason I figured it wasn't FT was because I didn't have that problem at home. Finally, I realized that it wasn't just FT: it was any site that used ads served by DoubleClick.Net. Indeed, it appeared to have been something configured badly on my school's network (perhaps a network-level hostfile or something intended to block ads). After much back-and-forth with the techs (who all claimed it was not their network) and finally the CIO/Vice Chancellor of IT, it was resolved (a few weeks before I graduated! ).

Actually, it was that experience that prompted me to sign up for IF and the premium FT subscription (if I was going to surf at school and they weren't going to fix it, I might as well do what I could to bypass the problem!).

Anyway, while many of us have been having issues with FT during the recent attacks, not all of us have been having the other issues you're describing. It's possible it's on your end. You might try ....... as suggested by others and see if that helps.

Oh, and @Downunder girl: remember the days when Twitter's Fail Whale was a regular occurrence? Twitter hasn't always been exactly perfectly stable, either...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:39 pm

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the time that it is taking for FT to load. I know it's not me, tried different computers and even my phone. All slow and sparodic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.