Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Was FlyerTalk down yesterday, Friday the 13th?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was FlyerTalk down yesterday, Friday the 13th?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Question Hunky dory, but bracketed "Nov 14, 09 until Nov 16, 09 "

Not sure when Stephanie's announcement that things should be hunky dory went up, but the email alerting isn't hooked up yet. Also note that she is bracketing the problem as lasting until the 16th...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Firewind
Also note that she is bracketing the problem as lasting until the 16th...
That is the date that the announcement will be posted until, not related to the actual outage.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:19 pm
Suspended

I warned about this before, but incompetent FT technical staff does not want to listen...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:16 pm

There's a Flyertalk Twitter page, but it only had one update yesterday evening.

I'm leaning towards the attack/hack too -- during a brief time I could get to the homepage, there was a link to a warez site on it.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Fredd
Thanks. ^ I missed it at the top.
Yeah, I just saw it. That's why FT has temporarily down for more than 24 hours. Is that getting better tonight? No more cyber attacks?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, I just saw it. That's why FT has temporarily down for more than 24 hours. Is that getting better tonight? No more cyber attacks?
Apparently not. I'm not getting e-mails for new posts on subscribed threads and I gather others aren't either.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Has anyone either received a PM, or sent one that you know reached the recipient, in the interim?

And thanks, sbm12. Are you hearing anything else?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Has anyone either received a PM, or sent one that you know reached the recipient, in the interim?
Yes.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by BearX220
Um, do we know for certain it was a cyber-attack as opposed to homegrown IBB incompetence?

It's not users who access FT, etc. for free that IBB has to answer to; it's advertisers. It's just inexcusable for the whole IBB empire to disappear off the face of the earth for most of a business day.
It showed all the signs of a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack, except that my understanding is that it was a massive attempt at brute-force hacking into their vBulletin databases. The effects from our perspective (as long as the hack is unsuccessful) are the same. DDOS just using massive but normal server requests that overwhelm the servers; the hack has a more specific & sinister intent.

Personally, I would hope that they went along with it (in cooperation with law enforcement) long enough to try to find out who was controlling the bots. Blocking the IP addresses in this situation simply blocks PC's that are already hijacked. You have to go upstream to their ISP's & see where the command & control traffic for the exploited computers is coming from.

Most if not all of the advertisers are pay per click advertisers such as AdSense. They'll miss the boards a lot less than IB will miss the income.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Fredd
Apparently not. I'm not getting e-mails for new posts on subscribed threads and I gather others aren't either.
Good! Its doesn't happening again in the future if they are have any cyber attacks again in the future. So that's why FT is temporarily down all day long. Let me know if they have any cause another error problems. If you should have to do installed AVG 9 but, it is very good anti-virus control onto your computer. You must to protected with emails or any problems the website is another viruses.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Still no email alerts.

Are you receiving them?
Looks like email alerts are back up. I only have a couple of forums subscribed, but those email alerts came out at 11:07 and 11:14 pm, respectively, Alaska time.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:41 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
many of us in Australia are still having to break in via hidden proxy servers but no-one seems to care as there has been no response to any threads pointing out the problem.

Perhaps the Southern Hemisphere will just disappear?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
I still can not access flyertalk normally. I have to use the online proxy server to access it in China. But I asked my friend in Canada and he can access it without problem.

Is this issue location related?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'd hazard a guess that IB has implemented some sort of location-based blocking to nullify the DOS/hacking attempts. Either those who are having issues share IP space with the evildoers or IB has implemented their blocking methods very sloppily.

You can believe whichever one you want...
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was in Japan until about 10 hours ago, and FT was unavailable to me for the entire period of outage, right up until I shut down to board my flight. I'm at LAX now, and its working, so I suspect some non-US sites still aren't getting through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.