Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Destination Forums: can they please be reordered

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:37 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Travel Destination Forums: can they please be reordered

I find the current order of the travel destination forums to be messy. Forums for Asia are scattered throughout the list; UK and Ireland and London are widely separated. I'd like to see an order based on continents, and then longitudinally, from the northern continent to the southern. Also, at this time, I'd like to see a couple forum names retitled. christep proposed in another thread that Hong Kong be renamed Hong Kong and Macau. Now is the time to do it.

I suggest the following order:

Travel&Dining: Destination >> The World
London
UK and Ireland
Paris
Scandinavia
Russia
Other Europe
The Middle East
Africa
Hong Kong and Macau
China and Taiwan
Japan (Tokyo and beyond)
Singapore
Other Asia
India
Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific
Toronto
Canada
Cuba
The Caribbean
Mexico
Latin/Central America
South America
Antartica

This order starts with Europe and heads south, then goes to Asia, then south, ending up in the Americas.

Also, some of the forums have descriptors, yet most do not. I suggest that either all should have them, or none.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 12, 2006 at 3:58 pm Reason: Added Kiwi Flyer's and AJLondon's suggestions
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Makes sense to me
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
This seems like a very sensible "housekeeping" proposal.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'd like to see an order based on continents, and then longitudinally, from the northern continent to the southern.

Thanks for the suggestion and the thought that you put into this. I also agree that this makes a great deal of sense.
I'll bring it up in the private TB Forum so we can discuss and hopefully implement your suggestions.

Also, some of the forums have descriptors, yet most do not. I suggest that either all should have them, or none.
I also agree and I think we should add descriptors. Whoever did the few we have was fairly creative. I'll see if I can find out who that was and/or see if we can find a volunteer to work on this.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If we're going to be doing stuff with the destination forums, can we please add New Zealand to the name of Australia and South Pacific forum?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Very sensible idea. ^

A slightly OT but perhaps related to re-naming question: Is there a particular reason why the China forum needs to be labelled specifically as China (not Taiwan)?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:54 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
A slightly OT but perhaps related to re-naming question: Is there a particular reason why the China forum needs to be labelled specifically as China (not Taiwan)?
It's a fair question. I was trying to be responsive to christep's suggestion that we give clarity to where Taiwan posts should go.

Originally Posted by christep
For Taiwan I'm not sure there is enough traffic to justify a separate forum, but at least it should be made clear whether China or Other Asia is the place for it.
So perhaps it makes more sense for it to be China and Taiwan, rather than China (not Taiwan). I've edited my original list to suggest this (and to include Kiwi Flyer's suggestion as well).
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Cholula
...I'll bring it up in the private TB Forum so we can discuss and hopefully implement your suggestions....
I would hope and suggest that the motion be "permissive" enough that it delegates to a couple of people (maybe SanDiego1K as a senior moderator and gleff as TB President) the right to implement changes (and ongoing ones to, as things come to light and as FT changes and adds or subtracts forums) in consultation with FT staffers.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I would hope and suggest that the motion be "permissive" enough that it delegates to a couple of people (maybe SanDiego1K as a senior moderator and gleff as TB President) the right to implement changes (and ongoing ones to, as things come to light and as FT changes and adds or subtracts forums) in consultation with FT staffers.
I appreciate your comments and nobody has made any motions yet. I started a thread to discuss this issue a few hours ago and TB members are weighing in with comments and suggestions. We continue to solicit members suggestions on this and other FT structural issues.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Seems like a great idea ^ Would certainly make navigation easier.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:53 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
So perhaps it makes more sense for it to be China and Taiwan, rather than China (not Taiwan). I've edited my original list to suggest this (and to include Kiwi Flyer's suggestion as well).
Thank You SD1K! ^
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:54 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

For what it is worth, I also support what SanDiego1K has proposed.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks. I like the idea of some kind of geographical order to make forums easier to find.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:36 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thanks. I like the idea of some kind of geographical order to make forums easier to find.
Of course, that method of order does not help those who may be geographically challenged. In addition, sometimes people may think of a country in a region that is different from what is chosen.

What if it was ordered alphabetically?

William
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:38 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I believe Randy has been very clear that these issues are for the Talkboard... so doubt a non-TB member would be "delegated" the responsibility unless the TB asked for assistance.

William

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.