Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Amend the TalkBoard guidelines for timelag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by jason8612

On January 23, 2015, TalkBoard passed 7-2-0
the following amendments to the TalkBoard Guidelines (new language underlined, struck language to be deleted)
:

C. Voting Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded and all aspects of the Public Notice Procedures in Section D. below have been completed, not sooner than 48 hours later the President shall post a sticky poll thread in the TalkBoard forum calling the question and announcing the vote. The thread shall be titled "Vote: [summary of motion]". In the first post on the sticky poll thread the President shall post the maker and seconder of the motion as well as the voting deadline and then restate the motion that has been made and seconded.

and

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcement of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.

Votes
Yes: dschobel, Canarsie, jason8612, kokonutz, MSPeconomist, nsx, rwoman[/COLOR]
No: CMK10, dchristiva
Abstain: -
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Amend the TalkBoard guidelines for timelag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
And how would you compel public participation of TB members without changes to TB guidelines creating more bureaucracy?

OT but one of the recent TB members who participated only very rarely was elected and then re-elected (probably more than once) with reasonably high numbers of votes. Obviously some people on FT liked the guy and wanted him as their elected representative. [When I have time, I should check whether he participated in the election debates when he was running for TB. Often there's a question about whether one participates in the TBT forum.]
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Well I for one am pleased to see this motion appearing before talkboard as I genuinely do believe that it is a good thing.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's been 48 hours now.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:38 am

why just 2 days?

-David
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
why just 2 days?

-David
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...wn-period.html

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
why just 2 days?

-David
It was a compromise. Actually, I wanted at least three days but two is better than zero.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:23 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here's what I posted in the private TB forum:

I don't believe the current rules need to be changed. However I plan to vote Yes on this proposal.

My reason: koko has done an exemplary job of patiently finding a consensus that is not too far from my preferred position. That's something I want to encourage from future advocates on all issues.

Feel free to argue me out of this, but it makes perfect sense to me.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Amend the TalkBoard guidelines for timelag: will pass

In accordance with the guidelines that we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured at least 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Yay! Thanks Jason.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
For the record record , here is what I wrote in the private TB forum regarding my vote:

For the record, although I voted for the compromise, I tend to agree with [the notion that this motion is not needed].

We never had a problem in the past because everyone took their time to vote.

Lesson learned.

That said, although this complicates the process a tiny bit, it probably is a best practice and so it does no harm to enforce it.

Which is to say, I will shed nary a tear should this compromise fall. After all, most accidents occur in the middle of the road!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
And this is what I wrote:

Because I don't think it's necessary. The outcry against our quick vote is by a vocal minority that is directing their anger at the change to the MR Forum at us because we're a convenient target. It's misplaced and flat out wrong I think, especially as I think that was an aberration and is unlikely to continue. As it is, votes drag out needlessly long and I don't want to delay our constituents having to wait to use their new forums even longer.

Finally, I think that since the uproar over the MR Forum we've been moving together far slower and more cautiously making every effort to get a consensus before moving ahead with a vote. Why add even more bureaucracy? To put it in law terms, I don't think there is a problem, but if there is a problem, I think we've already solved it by being more conscientious than we were.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:20 pm

Well done! Thank you TB.^
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:21 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
And this is what I wrote:
This just means that TB must be conscientious to prevent problems, as now it is mandated, rather than an unspoken/unrecognized "idea" and suggestion.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
This just means that TB must be conscientious to prevent problems, as now it is mandated, rather than an unspoken/unrecognized "idea" and suggestion.
It's not mandated that we have to be conscientious, what's mandated is that we have to wait two days to start voting. As I say frequently, length of time spent before voting has nothing to do with the quality of one's vote.

You'll notice that we are still waiting on this vote to finish, the person who seconded the vote, who wanted it to be a 3 day waiting period, not 2, who has been active on FT during the vote still has not voted. We succeeded in adding needless bureaucracy and creating a longer wait and nothing more.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:53 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's not mandated that we have to be conscientious, what's mandated is that we have to wait two days to start voting. As I say frequently, length of time spent before voting has nothing to do with the quality of one's vote.

You'll notice that we are still waiting on this vote to finish, the person who seconded the vote, who wanted it to be a 3 day waiting period, not 2, who has been active on FT during the vote still has not voted. We succeeded in adding needless bureaucracy and creating a longer wait and nothing more.
It is mandated that there must be a waiting period before voting. I would hope that TB members will use that time to consider both sides of the issue and allow that to influence their decision.

Is there a reason to push voting for something, unless it is to correct a mistake TB has made or to eliminate unintended consequences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.