Motion Passed: Create a Trusted Traveler forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create a Trusted Traveler forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As I noted above, I have already seen this in action as well as the horrible results of it. From my obseravations apparently anyone over the age of 70 or so has a good chance of making airlines' precheck cut. This is HORRIBLE for the efficiency of the precheck line and could very well make is SLOWER than regular lines.

All the more reason for a dedicated place to talk about it.
I don't think the desire to discuss one issue, albeit significant and annoying, is a good reason to create a new (sub)forum. Hopefully the current problems with PreCheck are transitory.

There are many additional aspects of trusted traveler programs that are worthy of discussion, IMO sufficiently enough material to warrant an dedicated sub forum.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As I noted above, I have already seen this in action as well as the horrible results of it. From my obseravations apparently anyone over the age of 70 or so has a good chance of making airlines' precheck cut. This is HORRIBLE for the efficiency of the precheck line and could very well make is SLOWER than regular lines.

All the more reason for a dedicated place to talk about it.
I see your point, but the current TSS forums can work for discussing that too.

The TSA is probably going to also have a Mexican-customs kind of approach at airports: random generator that allows way more people into the less-invasive screening lines. The TSA has money in play to consider just that.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
We need less forums not more
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
We need less forums not more
Couldn't agree more.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I'm strongly leaning as a yes vote but a thought.....

Perhaps a sticky in this new forum entitled "Airline Specific Trusted Traveler Q&A" (or something similar) where dedicated airline precheck & TT threads could be linked/listed so if a person has a specific airline question, they would see those threads vs posting a new airline specific thread?

i.e.: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...light=precheck and others could be listed in the sticky
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rmswift
Good idea. I'm TSA Pre-approved, but have been thinking of signing up for global entry, as I do 2-3 foreign trips per year. A forum would give me some info on the best way to do this.
Such a forum already exists, although there may be a few threads on other practical security issues.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IMH
I can't see great value in this but would not oppose it. I would however caution against creating a forum title in which two (out of three) words have different spellings in different varieties of English.

I'd also note that not all expedited/automated entry systems have been created for "trusted" travellers. My registration for iris recognition at the German and UK borders only involved registering my passport and so confirming my eligibility to enter those countries -- not assessing whether I was more or less of a security risk than any other holder of the same kind of passport.

This describes my view as well. I think fragmentation isn't great, and the non-trusted traveler topics may get more views as part of a larger forum. Also, even these programs have cross-over issues: E.g., "If I renew my passport, what do I have to do for global entry?"

IMH's point about expedited entry also deserves consideration (or phrasing that includes, or at least doesn't exclude, such programs).

Instead, what about retitling the existing subforum, as noted in red.

Practical Travel Safety/Security Issues
Practical issues directly related to travel, including travel documents, customs, trusted traveler/expedited clearance programs, hotel and transportation safety.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
I would welcome a forum like this as some of the

issues and problems are very specific and quite narrow. I for one have been in the trusted traveler program since the beginning at LAX - no problem. I was in the former INS program during it's few years of operation - traveling through immigration with ease. Global entry - no dice. turned down, no reason given - and the appeals process - I would welcome a detailed show and tell as to best approach. I know my problem is specific - I had a friend turned down because he was arrested in a speed trap going to Woodstock - spent a night before bail - forgot about it - didn't put it on the application - and bingo -denied. He's had no other issues in his career - so yes.... a specific forum. Please.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
I Lean "No", except Trusted Traveler is an area of growing interest. The current system is moving towards a 3 class security system that has been previously floated: 1) We trust you; 2) we don't know you and aren't sure; and 3) We absolutely do not trust you, take all your clothes off. It'll be a while before the new system shakes out. If there's enough discussion, it should have it's own corner.

But as an aside, I think I would prefer to see the TS&S area broken down different:

1) Forum for Governments Involvement in Safety Issues (I.e. TSA, Customs, Precheck, FAA, ... and the non-US equivalents -- Where governments and official actors directly or indirectly affect travel in the name of safety, including what they do not allow you to do, or now require you to submit to. Trusted Traveler discussion can occur here, or in a subforum.

and

2) Existing Practical Travel Safety/Security Issues forum, being used more along the lines of personal travel safety; discussion of someone (or something) operating without official sanction who is lessening the safety of a traveler. (Hotel room security, preventing theft while traveling, avoiding travel scams, etc.)
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by reft
I Lean "No", except Trusted Traveler is an area of growing interest. The current system is moving towards a 3 class security system that has been previously floated: 1) We trust you; 2) we don't know you and aren't sure; and 3) We absolutely do not trust you, take all your clothes off. It'll be a while before the new system shakes out. If there's enough discussion, it should have it's own corner.

But as an aside, I think I would prefer to see the TS&S area broken down different:

1) Forum for Governments Involvement in Safety Issues (I.e. TSA, Customs, Precheck, FAA, ... and the non-US equivalents -- Where governments and official actors directly or indirectly affect travel in the name of safety, including what they do not allow you to do, or now require you to submit to. Trusted Traveler discussion can occur here, or in a subforum.

and

2) Existing Practical Travel Safety/Security Issues forum, being used more along the lines of personal travel safety; discussion of someone (or something) operating without official sanction who is lessening the safety of a traveler. (Hotel room security, preventing theft while traveling, avoiding travel scams, etc.)
I see your point. The existing TSS implicitly focuses on (1), with debate in its own area. Maybe threads along the line of (2) deserve a different home. They're about travel security, but very different from the practical issues about TSA, etc. (such as whether one can use a zippered clear container instead of a baggie for liquids, which foreign airports require shoe removal, where the nude-o-scopes are located, and so forth). Some (2) threads appear in the women's travel forum and others appear under various destinations (scams common in various places, safety precautions in certain cities, etc.)
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So more forums and more forums and more forums are "needed" to discuss topics which are already posted about in places where FTers consider it appropriate and enough traffic may already exist to address the topics posted?

I really don't always find a gain from slicing and dicing a cake into more and more pieces.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So more forums and more forums and more forums are "needed" to discuss topics which are already posted about in places where FTers consider it appropriate and enough traffic may already exist to address the topics posted?
I think this TB has consistently shown that the answer to that question is 'yes'.

I really don't always find a gain from slicing and dicing a cake into more and more pieces.
Me neither.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

No, I didn't say that more forums are needed. I simply stated that I understand reft's point that airport security, customs, etc. is a somewhat different topic from personal travel safety advice about how to avoid getting mugged in a strange city, etc. I also pointed out some places on FT where discussions of the latter sort of (personal) security can be found.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe threads along the line of (2) deserve a different home. They're about travel security, but very different from the practical issues about TSA, etc. (such as whether one can use a zippered clear container instead of a baggie for liquids, which foreign airports require shoe removal, where the nude-o-scopes are located, and so forth).
These types of discussions have always belonged on the Practical side.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
These types of discussions have always belonged on the Practical side.
I understand that. I'm just agreeing with reft's observation that Practical includes two distinct types of topics:

(1) airport security, TSA rules and procedures (but not debate), 3-1-1 baggies for liquids, customs, etc.

(2) personal safety when traveling, such as avoiding being mugged, hotel room locks, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.