Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:50 pm

Yes please. The milesbuzz forum is filled with advice requests.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by jackal
We already have a newbie forum? Where?
I'll start with the NEWBIE LOUNGE in the AA Forum

that pretty much caters to those who can't

UA has something called a feel free to ask anything about UA sticky at the top, which I read as something geared toward the newbie (as well as other casual UA people)

DL has a how to find a low tier award sticky - how would this be any different than what would be in a newbie lounge

I just chose those three as they are some of the larger airline forums
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:42 pm

there are a half dozen or so sub 20 total post count posters on here voting yes, of course they are going to vote yes

however if there is one thing FT has, WE HAVE ENOUGH FREAKING FORUMS ALREADY
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I think it could be accomplished in just a sub-forum of Milesbuzz for generic crowd-sourced advice requests. I don't think it should be a "newbies post here" type forum because that will limit the amount of advice actually given. Something where posts like "first award booking... want to go to Hawaii" and "advice on stopovers for a mini-RTW" would be equally at home.

Maybe even a sticky at the top of the MB forum for advice a la help desk threads in airline forums.

My 0.02c worth...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I think it could be accomplished in just a sub-forum of Milesbuzz for generic crowd-sourced advice requests. I don't think it should be a "newbies post here" type forum because that will limit the amount of advice actually given. Something where posts like "first award booking... want to go to Hawaii" and "advice on stopovers for a mini-RTW" would be equally at home.

Maybe even a sticky at the top of the MB forum for advice a la help desk threads in airline forums.

My 0.02c worth...
all this forum will do besides make this place even more cluttered is have a bunch of 1-10 post count posters say, how can I get a saver award for six to hawaii in first at Xmas a hundred times a month

FT is fine as is, if anything lets have some motions on reducing forums

the more I think about it, the more it looks like Talkboard is there to create create create.. lol I just looked and of course the motion to get rid of travel news fails.. I do a 1 year search and its all create, no consolidate.. so I think we already have our answer here, this is just going thru the motions
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It seems to me if the mover, and the second, would amend and accept the amendment, it could proceed. Then again, I do Robert's and not TalkBoard.

Great to see the discussion here.

Originally Posted by lin821
I hear you! Unfortunately, that's not how this current motion was drafted.

I'll have no objection if TB is willing to go back to the "conference room" and rework on the motion to refine the vision, mission and purpose of an Information Desk Forum.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by JDiver
I hear you! Unfortunately, that's not how this current motion was drafted.

I'll have no objection if TB is willing to go back to the "conference room" and rework on the motion to refine the vision, mission and purpose of an Information Desk Forum.
It seems to me if the mover, and the second, would amend and accept the amendment, it could proceed. Then again, I do Robert's and not TalkBoard.
Don't forget we still have koko on TB and I assume he wouldn't mind doing some Robert's in the Private TalkBoard Forum, if the mover & the second agree to amend the motion:

Originally Posted by nsx
If the subtitle had been worded as "Including New Member Q&A and Non-Program-Specific Award Travel Advice", members would have had a better idea:
1) Information Desk is NOT just for newbies;
2) NOT to ask program-specific questions here so MODs wouldn't be loaded with thread relocation tasks.
As the drafter of this proposal, I like your version better than mine. The proposal explicitly contemplates quick evolution of the subtitle, and I wouldn't mind at all if that evolution starts on Day 1 with your version, unless someone has an even better one.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Don't forget we still have koko on TB and I assume he wouldn't mind doing some Robert's in the Private TalkBoard Forum, if the mover & the second agree to amend the motion:
I already have. I'll leave it up to nsx, though to figure out how to make it work within the non-real-time-semi-Robertsian structure TalkBoard operates under.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'll start with the NEWBIE LOUNGE in the AA Forum

that pretty much caters to those who can't

UA has something called a feel free to ask anything about UA sticky at the top, which I read as something geared toward the newbie (as well as other casual UA people)

DL has a how to find a low tier award sticky - how would this be any different than what would be in a newbie lounge

I just chose those three as they are some of the larger airline forums
Ah. Those are newbie threads. You mentioned in your previous post that we have enough newbie forums. I wasn't aware of any existing newbie forums, hence my question to you.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
however if there is one thing FT has, WE HAVE ENOUGH FREAKING FORUMS ALREADY
Maybe it's time to close down some of those that are lightly utilized to give some new forums that could be popular a chance. Isn't the Talk Board tasked with doing an annual review to identify underused forums? Aside from the seniors forum, how many forums have they closed in the last 2-3 years?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:05 pm

re

I would say that a new place for newbees to get info would help.
Milesbuzz has been turned into an advise and newb thread. I would like to see it revert back to an Omni like thread that has breaking points news from all programs and keep the NEW info in milesbuzz for a week or 2 before pigeonholing into the many sub-forums.
I belong to so many air, hotel and other programs that it would take hours for me to check each for new developments every day....it was much simpler when MilesBuzz consolidated new developments.
....as far as having too many catagories and threads, I don't see that as a problem, if you don't care about a thread you don't have to read it....as long as new info sees the light of day for a while before being cataloged to the appropriate dusty subforum or consolidated into ancient similar threads.
what should be cleaned up is the outdated info, no longer relevant or applicable that exists in most every forum.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe it's time to close down some of those that are lightly utilized to give some new forums that could be popular a chance.
Completely agree.

Aside from the seniors forum, how many forums have they closed in the last 2-3 years?
Note many since Seniors Forum closed in 2009: the Toronto subforum and Itineraries: Details forum. This low closure rate should IMHO be considered whenever TB votes to create new forums including the ones currently up for a vote.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 2, 2013 at 12:03 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
I already have. I'll leave it up to nsx, though to figure out how to make it work within the non-real-time-semi-Robertsian structure TalkBoard operates under.
Being sorted out as we speak by nsx. Since the main thing is re: the forum being created or not, it's relatively easy to tweak the sub-title ala relaxed Robert's Rules or even by the CommunityDirector if the forum gets approved.

As I mentioned before, I think having a Information Desk forum can be quite helpful to FTers.

I view the information desk forum to be a totally welcoming one, and might include such things (perhaps in a sticky) on how to do things as simple as explaining thread tools (subscriptions, MyFlyertalk) or other things for those that are truly new & don't know how to do such things. Heck, I'm an old-timer & there are still things I'm just learning!

There would also be other newbie (or old-timer) threads that would get posted in the ID forum - and some would get switched over to Info Desk from MilesBuzz. I view the Info Desk forum to be bigger than just MilesBuzz items. There are threads that currently in MB that could/would get shunted to the new ID, but I view the ID to be more than just siphoning off MB threads/clearing that up. I look at it as a chance to be even more helpful. I don't view the IF forum as just a method to clear up MB, although that will happen. It can be more.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:12 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The seconder and all current Yes voters have agreed to amend this proposal by adding the words "Including" and "Non-Program-Specific" to the subtitle. The proposal is now:

he TalkBoard recommends adding an "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums, with the subtitle "Including New Member Q&A and Non-Program-Specific Award Travel Advice", subject to revision over time by the Community Director as the best uses of the forum become more clear. The TalkBoard further recommends that all newly registering members be redirected to the Information Desk forum as their first post-signup screen.

Thank you, lin821!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Change made to first post.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.