Search

Suggestion- Separate Credit Card Churn Forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Suggestion- Separate Credit Card Churn Forum

FT is changing and as such, I think we need to change Miles Buzz. It used to be the place to get general info on mileage or point promotions, and that's what I went there for.

The current description is Discussion of the latest frequent flyer & hotel program buzz...only

Except that it appears that every single post on the first page relates in some way to churning credit cards and/or how to get that once in a lifetime vacation for free. While that's all well and good, any real Miles Buzz type information gets lost really, really fast.

I used to visit Miles Buzz daily, now I barely look at it once a week.

I would suggest all this churning information be located with the credit card forums and let Miles Buzz go back to being, well, Miles Buzz.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The current description is Discussion of the latest frequent flyer & hotel program buzz...only

Except that it appears that every single post on the first page relates in some way to churning credit cards and/or how to get that once in a lifetime vacation for free. While that's all well and good, any real Miles Buzz type information gets lost really, really fast.
(bolding mine)

I agree.

MilesBuzz! MODs used to have this announcement at the top about where to post credit card topics for a while but it doesn't seem to make any significant difference. Folks who want to start a non-milebuzzing credit card thread in MilesBuzz!, let it be newbies or long-time FTers, still throw out their questions in MilesBuzz! Forum. Thinking back about how many RBPs I'd sent, I am quite exhausted. I am sure our MilesBuzz! MODs, new or old, won't feel any less frustrated than I. Credit inquiries/scores/rating discussion was often seen in MilesBuzz last year and I also RBPed them.

True that credit cards have become a powerful "tool" to obtain bonus miles and are widely "encouraged" by savvy FTers. However, I am not sure if FT should have a cc churn forum, giving FT is NOT a credit card board. I am also not sure if this proposed forum, if created, would do a better job than say the finance section on either Slickdeals or Fatwallet.

BTW, that MilesBuzz! announcement is not viewable to regular FTers like me. Not sure if it has expired or needs another tweak from MOD to make it a more permanent sticky. But as we all know, info on sticky threads can't and won't change how people behave or choose where to start their threads.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Separate Credit Card Churn Forum
now that is a really interesting idea, and there is TONS of churn discussion on FT
Originally Posted by lin821
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Announcements in Forum : MilesBuzz!
Jun 15, 12 until Aug 30, 12
Originally Posted by mia
Where to post Credit Card topics.

Please do not start a new thread in MilesBuzz! about credit cards, unless the post describes a new extraordinary offer. In general, new account bonuses of fewer than 40,000 miles or points are not extraordinary. This is only a guideline, we know there will be exceptions, use your knowledge of the card's usual bonus level to identify an offer that is Buzzworthy.

Routine discussions of American Express Membership Rewards, associated card benefits, and American Express policies and practices are in the American Express Membership Rewards forum.

Discussions of airline and hotel affinity cards generally belong in the corresponding airline or hotel program forum. In particular, questions about luggage, boarding, and elite status benefits can best be answered in those forums.

Discussions of all other credit card rewards programs, benefits, policies, practices, and strategies should be placed in the Credit Card Programs forum. This includes questions about which card you should apply for, keep, or cancel.
possibly related - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post19238890

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 9, 2012 at 9:33 am
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC
Not necessary.
Not too related to travel....lots of other forums on the web that can offer this.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by AC_Good_Will
Not necessary.
Not too related to travel....lots of other forums on the web that can offer this.

How can it not be related ? Almost all CC award points or miles that are mainly used for travel.

I think it is a very good idea.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I will sort of agree with this. The milezbuzz forum is full of CC stuff. However I don't think another forum is needed just for CC churns. The current CC forum would do.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I like this idea, provided that the numbers look good. Can someone please attempt to count threads (and their posts) on this subject over the last month or year or whatever?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Why a separate forum instead of simply renaming the MilesBuzz forum?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
Or perhaps renaming it to something like "Miles Buzz (including Credit Card Churning) and having the CC Churning as a sub forum. Imho, this keeps it all in one place and gives the CC Churning its own forum
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Like "Hot Deals to Earn Miles, including Credit Card Signup Bonuses" ?

Mary's point is that the forum might benefit from a split into two subforums:

Hot Deals to Earn Miles
- Credit Card Signups and other Non-travel Deals
- Travel Bonuses
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:01 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx

Mary's point is that the forum might benefit from a split into two subforums:

Hot Deals to Earn Miles
- Credit Card Signups and other Non-travel Deals
- Travel Bonuses
What about one just for credit card sign-ups, and the other for other mileage earning deals, outside of credit cards?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes, and having members being able to order topics with different tabs or thread prefixes as that way you could either take it all in at once or view just the CC or just the travel threads.

For example, when I create a thread in forums now I can use one of two prefixes, "Question" or "FAQ", but could there be more and could they perhaps be forum specific? I'm not suggesting we given members dozens of choices but maybe a few more might help in some situations as this one.

More forums may not be the answer in all cases if we can more efficiently organize material within a forum. Just some thoughts.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:28 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Yes, and having members being able to order topics with different tabs or thread prefixes as that way you could either take it all in at once or view just the CC or just the travel threads.

For example, when I create a thread in forums now I can use one of two prefixes, "Question" or "FAQ", but could there be more and could they perhaps be forum specific? I'm not suggesting we given members dozens of choices but maybe a few more might help in some situations as this one.

More forums may not be the answer in all cases if we can more efficiently organize material within a forum. Just some thoughts.
I've suggested adding prefixes like "Complaint" or "Compliment" in the DL forum, so people can easily skip the complaints if they'd like to do so.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
CC churn/etc forum would mainly be an organizational change
"cleaning" milesbuzz (currently 11 of first 25 threads are CC/etc)
as well as moving any and all threads from other forums into one single forum
* additionally it could act as a transition forum for new members who are coming from blogs/etc
also maybe have discussion subforum like mileage run deals [did more recently] - for technical, help, etc
cant speak for others, but - i recently suggested to someone that they consider churning. (or just signup bonuses in general) if a FT churn forum existed, i would have referred them to it.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm bumping this as support of the current subject about MilesBuzz.

IMHO, that forum has now been taken over by the churners/free vacationers and the true intent, which was a place to compile really good mile and point opportunities across all programs, was lost.

Here's to getting it back again. ^^^

There was a time when people who wanted to learn the miles & points game actually read the forums for which they wanted to redeem, or start amassing. IMHO, Now all they want is to be spoon-fed the information - and in that one place only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.