Comments Welcome: Voting Underway-Create Group & Event Travel Planning Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Comments Welcome: Voting Underway-Create Group & Event Travel Planning Forum

Moved by bhatnasx and seconded by SkiAdcock:

"The Talkboard recommends the creation of a "Group & Event Travel Planning" - This forum will be place to discuss meeting, destination, and event planning. This is the place to help make sure you're maximizing your miles for your events and talk about the planning and execution of events."

This vote will close on February 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ers-forum.html
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I'm involved with an organization that does group and event planning activities, but what we do is so rare that it isn't worth being part of a discussion group

--- with two exceptions

1) getting group discounts at hotels and

2) getting discounts on plane tickets.

Bob H
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Sounds like a good idea to me ^^

I sure hope you're ready for the bridezillas who want to plan a destination wedding for free
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Shouldn't we all start being realistic and start saying:

"This vote will close on February 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm."
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: Too many
Great forum idea, one that I'd use regularly
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Great idea. The destination is the least important.
The Journey itself is very important.
The planning is just delicious.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I'm inclined to support this forum but how will the overlap of topics be handled?

For example if there's a hotel loyalty program bonus for meetings would that go in this forum, the exisiting program forum or both?

I can see the grey area with room location, ammenities, etc and wonder where the line gets drawn. Or am I overthinking this?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
I can see the grey area with room location, ammenities, etc and wonder where the line gets drawn. Or am I overthinking this?
I agree that there is probably some grey areas that may come about. I would think that even if a thread ends up fairly specific about a particular airline/hotel program, as long as it pertains to event/travel planning, it could still be housed in this forum. If a thread veers off the "planning" side of things, it can always be moved into the appropriate forum.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I agree that there is probably some grey areas that may come about. I would think that even if a thread ends up fairly specific about a particular airline/hotel program, as long as it pertains to event/travel planning, it could still be housed in this forum. If a thread veers off the "planning" side of things, it can always be moved into the appropriate forum.
Makes sense and thanks for your thoughts. The new forum now has my full support and I wish it well if TB sees it's way clear to its creation.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I voted for this great idea.

Thanks for suggesting it, hhoope01! ^
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I voted yes, as well.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I voted yes, as well.
As did I.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm inclined to support this forum but how will the overlap of topics be handled?

For example if there's a hotel loyalty program bonus for meetings would that go in this forum, the exisiting program forum or both?

Imho, you are not overthinking this at all as I don't think your questions (and perhaps others not yet posed) have been properly evaluated-and that is why, as it stands now, I'm leaning towards a "no" vote.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
See my comments above
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:49 pm

I am still relatively new to Flyertalk. How do we vote? Do I just state my vote on this board?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by trebex
I am still relatively new to Flyertalk. How do we vote? Do I just state my vote on this board?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The 9 Talkboard members do the actual voting, not FTers. However, we ask for comments & input on motions, and it can be I support this and this is why, or I don't support it & this is why, or +1. Some FTers say I vote for this, meaning they support something, but it's a phrase for them, as TB members are the ones who do the actual voting.

On a dif note, there is currently the 2012 Flyertalk Awards for hotels & airlines, etc, and FT members can vote on those. There should be a sitewide announcement re: the Flyertalk Awards & a link to the voting (which reminds me I need to do that soon).

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.